I like Vista/ I can live with Vista

suedenim

Also, let me add a couple of things about hardware. I had issues getting alsa to behave with the Realtek sound on the DFI M2R/G board I am using. I got that worked out thanks again to the help forums for Ubuntu. (they rock, really). The best experience is setting up my printer. I have a HP Deskjet 6980 connected (hardwired) to my home network. Not using it's wifi capability at all. So to get it working in XP, I can use the minimal driver package and connect to USB. To connect to as a network printer, I have to install the full suite of HP bloatware, over 65MB of pure crap. No matter what I do, Windows in incapable of detecting and using this printer. However, in LInux, I can pop in the IP of the printer, it finds a driver and I have functioning printer with minimal driver bloat in less than two minutes. I can't even get the Installer running in that amount of time in XP.

And I LIKE XP.

There are some things that Linux flat out does better, faster and with less overhead that Windows of any version.

Fortunately the learning curve is not as bad for me since I use Unix commands every day at work. I know how to navigate the file system and the console does not phase me. However, for Linux to be better accepted, package managers and install procedures for linux need to get dumbed down for the masses. They will not want to type sudo apt-get blah blah blah or unpack tar files or mess with permissions (I hate chmod) to save and run files. Yes, it is one of the strengths of the *nix environment, but it is a weakness when dealing with your average AOLuser.

Oh, and Ubuntu downright choked on my motherboard's ACPI and it had to be disabled.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest SuppA-SnipA
It eating up 40% of 4GB...

ya i know, i have 2gb ram, and it did that to me to, when just sitting on the desktop

• 3 weeks later...

Thanx for the welcome SuppA-SnipA!

I have noticed, and also read elsewhere, with Vista, unless you have a monster new system with scads of ram, features like indexing, and superfetch are the main performance culprits - they hit your hard drive wayyy too much. Of course hard drive activity = crappy performance in games etc...

You can watch the activity in your task manager > performance monitor tab, there is a button to press on that screen that will track your network/cpu/hard disk/memory usage...nice!

Under hard disk, you will see "hard faults" and a number of them...the more there are, the more disk access is happening. I just bought 2gb more OCZ plat EL (same stuff i got 2.5 years ago! lucky...) Even with 4gb, this access is far too much. I am working on disabling indexing/superfetch, and the page file. Will do some real life checking to see if that fixes the problem this weekend.

Another tidbit. If you are using readyboost, just stop! It's broken, and will not work until SP1. It currently degrades performance, not help it!

So, for the time being, my 4gb stick is backup storage...