I like Vista/ I can live with Vista

suedenim

Good rant - again.

For me Linux needs to do several things.

Push OpenGl development, DX is plenty ahead.

Run games natively

Good driver/hardware support

Ease of use/ newbie wizards a go-go etc.

Simplification/reduction of all the distros.

I have an inbuilt aversion to Unix as back in the days of getting an education if you didn't use vi you didn't get any help or anything. After notepad in windows this was a bit of a downer.

Now Linux has grown up since those days but the curve is steep, certainly too steep for the masses.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be among the 1st to join the Linux revolution if they get any kind of game support...for now, it is a business app/web browser/server...but i game a lot, so i still have a WinXP Pro partition, and I finally installed the Vista 64 bit Ultimate I had on a shelf for almost a year now...What a royal pain in da arse off the start! Almost re formatted the partition.

Once you disable half the extra crap, change several menu's to "classic" and download the couple hundred patches, Vista actually isn't half bad anymore. All of my hardware is supported. Several companies even include free utilities that weren't included with XP's software...nice bonus.

So far, all of my games run very well on my new 8800GT. From what I have been reading, SP1 will make a good difference to performance as well.

Remember early XP? What a piece of over hyped Camel dung! HP didn't have drivers for its printers for over a year! Like anything these days, HD DVD formats, games, or OS's - they are released too soon, and us early adopters are left to fend for ourselves with no, or very little consequences to the retailer.

...It sux to be us :P

I ran Vista for 4 months and honestly never had a single problem with it. The sole reason I switched back to xp was the support HP had for my printer under vista. I plopped 200 bucks down for this printer 8 months ago and am not going to do it again just to have half way decent support using Vista.

Guest Headwound

Despite my previous thread containing my woes of vista, I'm in agreement here, I can pretty much tolerate it now. Just needed to: Disable User Access Control, Indexing, Change Page File, Stop xxxxing annoying security center BS, and now it seems to work alright.

Also, when I originally tried to install vista a couple months back, i had it deactivate on my, and i couldn't reactivate it. Tried it again tonight, and nothing. But, in desperation, I called the phone service, after I had failed the automated activation process, I was transferred to a very nice, Indian lady (I'm only assuming here), she asked me for my installation id, and then, gave me the activation numbers. This took like 3 minutes

THREE MINUTES! I'm actually impressed! YOU HEAR THAT MS, YOU SONS OF .! I am impressed with the partial efficiency of your tech support!

The biggest problem i have run into is gaming. And i have shut down as many services as i can get away with and still run everything i need. Which still leaves 40 processes running atleast. And as i type this my Vista is using 60% of my ram! For what i am not sure. I run FEAR, FEAR XP, and Crysis on windows xp and i get smooth as silk fps. On FEAR i get 60 fps rock solid with everything on max. Except in FEAR XP i get drops down to 20 and a little under which suxors and i dont know why. Crysis runs fairly well under xp and i expect that when the patch for it comes out it will run a little more smoothly.

Then i get really crappy FPS in FEAR and the other games stated above in Vista. FEAR is constantly dropping to 40 and then back up to 60 for a bit and then down again. And it is stuttering all the time. Same with Crysis.

Now i know that Crysis is a new game and can chalk the stuttering and low fps to not being a patch released for it yet. But not for FEAR and FEAR XP they should be running like silk on Vista and even better then XP.

I don't get it. I know Vista is a hunk of crap and all of that but i really like the aero interface and Vista runs just fine on my machine. For gaming i will be sticking with XP pro untill there is a reason to switch. Direct X 10 looks no different then direct x 9 to me and my untrained eyes.

So i hope like everyone else that SP1 for Vista will sort some of that stuff out. Like increased gaming performance.

This is all on Vista 64 ultimate edition BTW.

Well it's been less than 2 weeks and I am about to wipe Vista x64 out, seems every time there is a lot of hard drive activity the OS starts to slow to a crawl. Even after I enabled the high performance options for my SATA drives, it still runs like crap. It usually uses ca 40% of 4GB just idling at the desktop, that's just rediculous. I am gonna try XP X64 SP2 and if that don't work back to regular XP SP2 for me.

I have been using Ubuntu 7.10 64 bit exclusively since my 680i mobo died about a week and a half ago (day before Xmas). It is nice for browsing, email and so on, VLC plays movies nicely and just about every, and I mean EVERY setup issue I have had I was able to find a solution to on the Ubuntu forums. The only remaining issues are problems with Firefox using Flash (I had a Youtube video flat out quit on me last night, and yes, in this case I know it was Firefox).

The other issue is gaming. I have used WINE a bit with EVE-online, but it is a PITA, and with all of the games I play, setting each one for use in WINE is something i would not want to consider. Projects like the ones to bring earlier Civ games are not interesting to me, because I want to buy something of the shelf and run it TODAY, not 6 years from now.