Sign in to follow this  
suedenim

I like Vista/ I can live with Vista

Whilst not keen on Vista myself I'm sure the number of people using it is growing, some out of personal choice.

I'm interested to find out the thoughts, experiences and opinions of those that are using Vista and are 'enjoying' it or at least have no complaints and hope it might provide some balance to the "vista s*cks" opinions (having never used it I couldn't comment really)

Will I change from XP based on any posts here? Not yet but as a human being I reserve the right to change my mind.

Finally I'm curious as to how many posts this thread will get.

I'm actually getting ready to start slamming Linux heavily since Vista is such a piece of ., unreliable, immature, invasive, ET-phone-home, nagging, unstable OS.

I used to love Windows, and I especially love XP. Vista though should be shitcanned and MS needs to move on to the next OS. Me, I'm moving over to Linux as soon as I can wrap my head around it. The fact that the entire country of Russia is pushing Linux from early school all the way through government is really what made me finally decide to stop hating Linux and start getting with it.

Linux is the future, not Windows (though it will take a generation or two to move away from the MS kool-aid) as long as MS tries to do . like they did in Vista.

I'm actually getting ready to start slamming Linux heavily since Vista is such a piece of ., unreliable, immature, invasive, ET-phone-home, nagging, unstable OS.

I used to love Windows, and I especially love XP. Vista though should be shitcanned and MS needs to move on to the next OS. Me, I'm moving over to Linux as soon as I can wrap my head around it. The fact that the entire country of Russia is pushing Linux from early school all the way through government is really what made me finally decide to stop hating Linux and start getting with it.

Linux is the future, not Windows (though it will take a generation or two to move away from the MS kool-aid) as long as MS tries to do . like they did in Vista.

While linux is a wonderful OS, been using it for a couple of years now, it is still limited for general applications like gaming.

It has everything you need for playing music and watching movies but you still cant play games without windows....and honestly I feel like thats part of the reason it will always be the mainstream OS. Although PC gaming is a small industry compared to the number of overall users it is still a reason the OS will stay around...

DX is still better and used more often in comparison to OpenGL and I dont see that changing anytime in the near future...

Good god, :eek: sits down to steady his hands as he drinks a stiff whisky. I never thought i'd see the day that AG would make a statement like that. I think i'd better just click on the refresh button, in case i'm dreaming it.

Edit, no the post is still there. :)

While linux is a wonderful OS, been using it for a couple of years now, it is still limited for general applications like gaming.

I have all gaming consoles except for the PS3, and I still have Windows XP for gaming until I can't game anymore on it =/

Angry, what dont you like about vista? >.<

I like it, and although whenver i close 1/4 of my games i get a msg saying the game/app has crashed, doesnt bother me that much

do I REALLY need to re-explain my hatred of Vista all over again? (check just about any Vista thread in this section or in any section)

Well I have been using vista for a few months now and have not had any problems with it. I have not even had a BSOD. I dont see any performance loss in games. I do in my benchmarks, but not games. I have not had a problem with finding drivers or hardware not working. Im not saying that vista is the next best thing to sliced bread but its an alright os, just give it time. I do know that alot of people have there problems with vista, but they are comming for xp that has been out for a little over 5yrs so it had time to be refined. Vista will be the same way just give it 5yrs. lol

Angry_Games

I could not agree anymore with that statement and realy hope that its true! But till that time I will be using windows. Im a person that likes having an OS dumbed down for me. I am playing with linux now and liking it. I am using ubuntu 7.10 and have all the programs that I need to use it as an office/media pc. There just is not a game that I can get to play on it, but I think its more me then anything else.

Ok...so I've used pretty much every OS imaginable. DOS, Windows 3.1, 9x, 2k, xp, vista, OS 9, OS X, Ubuntu, Debian and many other Linux flavors so I have a lot to compare Vista to. Now, for home use I have no problem running Vista and I've had no issues with it. All of my hardware is supported and everything runs great. Many people get a bad impression of Vista right out of the box because it's slow at first...this is because it's indexing your drive. I've had no DRM issues like others have claimed and everything runs just as well as XP did. However, I'm also the network admin at a high school for about 650 workstations and about 2800 users and I've never even considered upgrading to Vista. Simply put, it just doesn't offer anything that XP doesn't have or anything that we really need. I think it's fine for home users but is it worth upgrading? Not really. Linux may well be the future but that is a long ways away. Linux has many many obstacle to over come before it is anything near mainstream. Sure, Ubuntu works for the most part out of the box BUT you will at some point have to get into the command line to get certain things done. Most home users don't want to have to use a command line to install an application or edit some config files. Windows gives users a way to do everything without the command line for the most part. Vista's RAM usage is supposed to eat up a lot of RAM, it's similar to what Linux does. It loads everything it can into RAM so there is less accessing of the hard drive. If you have less RAM, it uses less RAM. Thats not to say it doesn't have a lot of services running that might not be needed but thats easy enough to take care of (although it's annoying that you have to in the first place). I've had more good experiences with Vista than I have bad.

Guest element

Vista is fine = true.

Changed from evil buggy 64bit XP that didnt work with my games to now been able to play them. Namely Splinter Cell 3.

yea. if i play a game at all during a session in vista, it will not shut down. thats a sweet bug eh?

i use ubuntu for everything except matlab (i should be getting my matlab for linux soon), spreadsheets (i dont find openoffice as nice as microsoft office), and printing (my printer is one of the few that arent supported yet).

o yea, and my vista crashes everytime i dont have my usb headset plugged in. way to go microsoft. way to go.

Linux is a long way off for sure for everyday use for the masses, but it has to start somewhere. I just feel like Vista is that perfect reason (another anal-rupturing thank-you from microsoft).

Russia won't integrate Linux fully for many years, but they decided to start somewhere as well.

DIY is the perfect place for Linux, though there are countless Linux sites out there that are worlds better than this place ever could be about it. But it IS a DIY place, so we DIY'ers could probably hook a brother (or a million) up on how to use it easily and properly for everything except games (and if enough start making the switch, gaming devs won't have a choice but to dev for Linux and hardware mfg's won't have a choice but to get with Linux distros and make installing things like 3d acceleration drivers that actually work not only feasible but easy to do even from a command line, like some Linux distros already do by using a 'get' command that is simple).

It's sorta how I feel about American cars. I love America. I'm a patriot, blah blah blah. I'd rather buy true-american. But American cars are crap compared to Honda and Toyota in my opinion. So instead of continuing to buy them and hope for the best (like we do with each new Windows OS), I stopped buying them and buy from Honda/Toyota (at least they are made in the USA by American workers) and have never looked back. I loved Microsoft. They made computers easy and fun and now the entire world is hooked up to the internet and the majority use Windows to access it (while it's funny that the majority of the world's internet servers run Linux/Unix haha).

We all learned how to program our VCR's. We can learn Linux.

We all learned how to use a mouse and a keyboard. We can learn Linux.

We all learned how to install a video driver. We can learn Linux.

What's missing from all 3 statements? That at the beginning, programming a VCR, using a mouse & keyboard, and installing a driver were damn near impossible to master. Bulky, unwieldy commands, installers, crashes, fingers not playing right with the mouse/kb, etc.

The in the end, we persevere and we win, and then move on to conquer the next territory. The next territory is something other than Microsoft. Just the same as the next territory for almost all of us was to use AMD64 instead of the evil Intel. Just the same as almost all of us moved away from VIA chipsets to Nforce chipsets.

It's hard, and it's complex, and at least 50% of the burden lies on the shoulders of the Linux gurus who program this stuff and release distros. They are torn between keeping their little clan private by only allowing those who are willing to learn the complexities into their group, and defeating the evil Microsoft by dumbing-down each distro a little more to make it much more accessible by everyday Windows zombies.

But it has to happen if we wish to rid ourselves of the Virus known as Microsoft. Or maybe, like it did with Intel, it will force Microsoft to get off their high horse and stop releasing faster Prescott cpu's lol. HEY DUMMIES...AMD IS KICKING YOUR BUTT NOW THANK YOU DRIVE THROUGH. And looky, Intel came roaring back and made a game out of it again. Maybe Linux can do the same? I sure think (and hope) so.

And let's be honest. Linux CAN game. Take a look at the Playstation3. Pure gaming rig with some Blu-Ray thrown in, wi-fi, bluetooth, everything. Sure it's a specific kernel or such written specifically for that closed hardware set, but it's a start...right?

Right now games (and drivers for hardware that can game) are purely Windows...because 99% of us own Windows. Why bother to spend the time and money to port to those 1%'ers (like Mac users as well haha). If 1,000,000 people run Linux and game, that's a spot in the bucket compared to 100,000,000 Windows gamers. I'm gonna develop my games for Windows, thank you drive through again.

It's a tough situation, but for my final lesson, let's remember Google.

Google was a brainchild of a couple of dorks that went from being a funny word you used to mean ultra-mega-super-infinity when you argued with your friends to an everyday word, and a start page on the internet for probably a billion people. Google and Linux have a lot in common. I shouldn't have to explain the similarities in those two or their situations. I should though keep praying to the ultimate universal god that Google will use some of that money and power like Spider-Man...and make their own OS that is based on Linux, free like Open Office, and the best in the world like their search engine.

That's my dream.

Now I got to go link someone at Google to this so they will hire me haha.