8800GTX VS. 8800Ultra in SLI

Hey all, just wanting to see if anyone around here is actually insane enough to have 2 8800Ultras in SLI, I'd really love to compare stock numbers in performance in games and benchmarks.

I'm looking at stepping up, mostly because I want my old cards to have the highest resale value possible right before the 9 series comes out so I can get enough money to HOPEFULLY almost buy two of them right off the bat with the money... BUT if the performance doesn't justify the money I'd have to pay to step-up my cards to Ultras and/or get new cards and sell my current ones, I'd like to know before I take that leap.

Thanks to any help in advance... articles and reviews about the performance between these two setups on like-CPUs would be appriciated as well!

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With 9800's right around the corner I couldn't justify "upgrading" to 8800ultras. The slight performance increase wouldn't be worth the amount of money spent. It's my understanding that Ultras are just OCed 8800's. There is no difference between the arcitecture between the regular 8800s or the 8800 ultras. If i'm wrong perhaps someone could correct me. I suggest holding on to what you currently have and skip a generation or two. I have a feeling that two 8800's will be plenty of power for even Crisis or any other games coming out for the next 6 months. It seems to me you are looking for higher benchmark scores which in reality gives you hardly in real world performance difference. Save your money....or credit card lol...and just enjoy what you have.

at the time I made my purchase MSI had there ultras at $599 each with a rebate. they where just as cheap as most GTX cards and they work awesome. my stock 3DMark06 score was 15962 everthing bone stock. Didn't want to wait for 9800s because it's my understanding they where going to be PCI-20 slots? not sure if that is still true or not but at the time I bought my cards that was the rumor.........

PCIx 2 should be backwards compatibile with v1. In this climate only a nutter company would amputate 90% of their market. As to the impact on bandwidth - hard to say at this time.

Is it me or does the rate of change/progress seem to be accelerating?

GTX vs. Ultra. Not sure what there is to compare. The Ultra is nothing more then a factory overclocked GTX so the performance would be the same as the GTX run at that speed.

Actually, I like Charmed's point of view. What can 2 ultra's do for benchmarks? It would be an excellent data point for when the 9xxx's come out. Supposedly, the 9xxx's are much faster than the current crop......I gues we'll see.....

Yep. I read a price list about 5 months ago or so that listed 89xx cards, supposedly a 8950 GX2 and that all vanished overnight. The next thing I read was about 9800 cards.

Who knows? It's like before the 8800's came out, there was speculation that the power requirements for the Dx10 cards would need their own power supply. That came to nought. We will see in a few months or so. I'm very curious how much better the new crop of cards will run in VISTA, if they run any better than the 8800's. Pretty sad to see the current performance disparity.

Welp, tested the new set out individually, they did 630/1000 perfectly on benchmarks... in SLI though, they don't outperform the old pairing I had at 621/972... at least not consistantly... kinda bummer... but, they're listed on EBay, hopefully all four of the things I have listed will sell and it'll make the decision to get 2 ultras an easy one ;)

The ones I'm looking at are the best-clocked EVGA version out there, 655/2250, 729 a pop. I imagine they'll pull a premium when they're no longer available in a month and a half and the 9 series is still a few weeks away. We'll see. I'm keepin' an eye out for foretelling of the 9 coming soon, once I know it's 2 weeks or less away, I'll put the Ultras up for sale, assuming I get them/my current cards sell.