8800GTX VS. 8800Ultra in SLI

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have in the past, this particular time I used a card... I don't just have 5K laying around, nor do I have the patience to save up 5K.

Back on subject...

I just tested 3.8GHz and it failed after SIX HOURS of Prime95. I'm trying what I know best in this instance as it happened with my FX-60... bumping the CPU voltage just a tad, from 1.55 to 1.5625, gonna see if it can pass 8 hours+ at 3.8GHz, cuz that would be a cute little increase over what I can get stable now.

thats how you should be oc'in, well thats how i do it

i pick a certain speed i like, a nice rounded number, 2.7ghz in my case (since i cant go higher), and i tried 1.40 volts, didnt boot, 1.42, booted but froze, 1.45 i could Orthos but froze, 1.47 stable orthos, but small FFT error after 2 hours, 1.48v stable 6 hours small fft. good enough

I'm just goin' for 8 hours stable on Blend, if it can pass that usually it can pass 16 hours (which this thing has at 3.666GHz).

I'm not 3 hours away from my goal, still running strong... seeing some scary numbers, at least for me, core temp wise, but meh, not like it's ever gonna be quad-loaded in real world usage by me anytime soon. If it passes, it'll probably never see this much load again in it's lifespan, at least not as long as I own it.

GTX vs. Ultra. Not sure what there is to compare. The Ultra is nothing more then a factory overclocked GTX so the performance would be the same as the GTX run at that speed.

Gees here we go again. The Ultra IS NOT an OC'ed GTX. The Ultra uses the G80-450-A3 core and the GTX uses

the G80-300-A2 core. While they share the same architecture the cores are Fabbed on different wafers with the

G80-450's using a much finer tuned process. The -450's core have several improvements in the ASIC design that

allow the typical -450 run higher core ROP clocks, much higher core shader clocks and memory controllers that

will clock much higher than a typical -300 core.

Viper

Well I think I'll keep my GTX since the core does does 683 on the stock cooler and 756 with water at 1.45 volts. So much for the revision being the the deal breaker.

When it's all said and done it still comes down to luck of the draw. Today, buying an 8800 for the first time, the Ultra is the one to get because of the little difference in price between it and the GTX. For the average user it would boarder on foolishness to buy an Ultra to replace a GTX

Well I think I'll keep my GTX since the core does does 683 on the stock cooler and 756 with water at 1.45 volts. So much for the revision being the the deal breaker.

When it's all said and done it still comes down to luck of the draw. Today, buying an 8800 for the first time, the Ultra is the one to get because of the little difference in price between it and the GTX. For the average user it would boarder on foolishness to buy an Ultra to replace a GTX

Damn good GTX. Will it get through 25 repeat passes of the 3DM01 Nature test (only) with the title screens

disabled like that??? Also what Shader clock are you getting at 756???

Viper

Don't know about the Nature tests. It runs all the benches day in and day out without missing a beat when I'm trying to max the processor and memory. It acts like just a touch more voltage would allow 783. But really haven't had time to mess with it. Modding the BIOS for a little lower Shader clock would probably help also.

This is the only screenshot I could find that showed the Shader clock.

756/1782/1152

Don't know about the Nature tests. It runs all the benches day in and day out without missing a beat when I'm trying to max the processor and memory. It acts like just a touch more voltage would allow 783. But really haven't had time to mess with it. Modding the BIOS for a little lower Shader clock would probably help also.

This is the only screenshot I could find that showed the Shader clock.

756/1782/1152

The 3DM01 25-30 repeat (not loop!) Nature (only) Torture loop with the title screens disabled is one of the primary

stability tests and is where most modded cards will core lock first...typically on ROP clock to high. When run with

the title screens disabled the test reloads from memory and just hammers the core driving temps well up. Another

one is the 3DM03 Mother Nature (only) run in the same way.

Don't drop your Shader clock. You get more card speed out of a higher shader clock than a higher ROP clock.

Viper

I had an ultra that did 715 stock cooler no mods. Also the memory is different right and allows higher clocks which it did 2375

Charmed, I cant belive you are only getting 3.6ghz my q6600 was stable at 3.8ghz on my 680i. Can you RMA it and says its running to warm or something? I would if I spent a G on a chip that didnt clock that well.