technodan needs phone advice

red930

Sorry for the double post! Are you with US cellular? Are they sim based ie: "gsm" ? If so you could get a unlocked phone thats gsn and just drop your sim in no phone call, or activation! You would not have to sign a new contract. Thats what I did with cingular/att or whatever they are now.

edit:

Here is some info on unlocked phones. link --> http://thetravelinsider.info/roadwarriorco...nlockingfaq.htm

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry for the double post! Are you with US cellular? Are they sim based ie: "gsm" ? If so you could get a unlocked phone thats gsn and just drop your sim in no phone call, or activation! You would not have to sign a new contract. Thats what I did with cingular/att or whatever they are now.

edit:

Here is some info on unlocked phones. link --> http://thetravelinsider.info/roadwarriorco...nlockingfaq.htm

I believe that they are GSM, pretty sure they've said that before.

I'm not signing a new thing with them (ever again) but for the moment I'm locked in through a family plan for the next year or so.

get Thunda's opinion, too - if i remember correctly he was working for a cell phone company...

Yeah, he's not on much though. Might have to try to catch him on MSN sometime.

It's looking like US Cellular uses CDMA, which is probably why they have a crappy selection of phones.

im just about to get a new phone myself, im trying to hold out as the phone i want has only just been relesed, so the providers (vodafone etc) hav'nt got eney yet.

http://www.sonyericsson.com/spg.jsp?cc=gb&...ne=pp&pid=10864

my phone ATM is the sonyericsson p910i. its done me well, think ive had it like 2years or sumthing like that & still going strong.

technodan how about a cell phone running linux :D

motorola has one and there are two projects working on some, limo foundation and openmoko, i think samsung is gonna come out with the "blacktux" soon.

In all likelihood if I got one with Wi-Fi I'd certainly be looking at one that ran a form of Linux. But barring that, there really isn't much of a need for a dedicated operating system otherwise.

Sounds like maybe you shouldnt have a phone with your luck...? ;)

I have the Motorola Krzr k1m and it's pretty awesome...

never been impressed with motorola phones at all but after having LG for years decided to give them a try again...I have been very pleased with this phone...

As for the battery dots turning red...I am sure they do on there own..I had one on a LG phone turn and I know it was never wet...I think the battery leaked...

they wouldnt replace it but....I got another one pretty much free...