More Vista problems...

Angry_Games

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I installed vista 32 on my desktop about a month ago. My problems started immediately. I couldn't get anything to install properly. ANYTHING. No software, no drivers, you get the idea.

I happened to show a friend-- who had been missing out on Vista's true deal-maker-- how cool Aero looks. And viola, everything installs fine.

Ok, problem solved... I love Vista-- lol as if it were really that easy with operating systems.

1. I still can't get my [older] tuner card to work on Media Center. Actually, speaking of the media center... It doesn't play avi's, xvids, or my dvd backups. All of which are handled by VLC pretty easily.

2. Had to manually point to video drivers. Nvidias drivers refuse to install. :(

Additionally on this note: no programs seem to have the ability to detect the clock frequencies on my video card (ie RivaTuner, nTune, everest, etc).

3. LOW framerates. I had some firefights in Bioshock where i was getting approximately one frame per second.

Boy, she looks pretty though. I don't know. I guess I'll keep it. Can't really tell you why.

A_G: Get a reality check instead of pretending you (technically) understand half of the "evidence against vista" you keep posting - its a lost cause, because in the grand scheme of things, nobody cares about your little crusade. If you were coming from the other side of the fence (die hard Linux or Mac addict) I could somewhat understand it, but to keep spouting how superior XP is, just shows what a tool you are.

I guess you must enjoy the groupies you acquired with this constant and boring hatespeak about vista - I honestly cant think of another reason why one would act like you do...

I can....

Tbh with you you could have posted that comment way better then you did, might leave you with some friends after, but lets get OT shall we?

Picture the time around 93 se.

Seen this type of posts then and we prob will see them in the future if Microsoft commes again out with a new Os.

No, i am not a die-hard Linux or mac user, im a diehard windows user simply because i am to lazy to start teaching myself Linux.

98SE was the top and omg xp is so unstable and so on and so on...

And you know what?

They were right!

Untill Xp finnaly came out with sp2.

So at this moment XP sp2 is the most stable Windows Os around.

Period.

The worst part of it all is this:

If i want to buy myself a nice laptop, i always get Vista on it.

What if i dont want it? I can get an lesser laptop cause Vista can't run on that.

I can explain to you why that is too....Marketing dear, nothing more and nothing less.

its a lost cause, because in the grand scheme of things...

That perticular part of the sentence was actually correct but you failed to mention this after that: " it will come and we all need to make the switch sooner or later".

If you were coming from the other side of the fence (die hard Linux or Mac addict) I could somewhat understand it, but to keep spouting how superior XP is, just shows what a tool you are.

I'm sorry but thats where your intellectual glitch is showing the most.

Or in plain english; that a load of [insert whatver you feel is appropate here]

You do not have to be a mac/linux wiz to understand or have a welbased oppinion about Windows.

Again its rude and could have been fraised so much better.

I guess you must enjoy the groupies you acquired with this constant and boring hatespeak about vista - I honestly cant think of another reason why one would act like you do...

Lets get one thing straight here;

Im not a: " omg i hate Vista, but i love Angry groupie."

If anything i have a mind of my own and is most of the time not accordinigly to Angry's way of thinking.

Secondly if or when i dont agree on his way of thinking, i try it out myself.

Wich is how one learns here and not only me that goes for Angry himself too.

Thirdly: he already has a woman, wich i consider one of my friends....

So there ya go.... not a groupie, but someone equal in the way we try to handle things as a new Os comming out.

Now for some learning on your part:

"To be conscious that you are ignorant is a great step to knowledge."

( by Benjamin Disraeli)

What i mean by this is:

Yes, i can go for the omg, Its here! ther is a new OS and its called Vista, must be good if Microsoft put it on the market for us!

Like i did, tbh with you.

Installed it and fraqqed up my hd, could trow that out faster then i type this post.

Or i can go for the; " Omg here commes Microsoft again with a new OS, prob a mess again."

So what is one to do then?

Well thats simple actually.

One is to gather as much information as he needs to make that decision so that he or she will feel happy when eventually making the switch.

So with an open mind for either good or bad press about Vista I get more information.

It is a nice "looking" Os, i agree there, but the problems decribed, wich as easely could happen to me as to you are for me such that i'll be waiting till an sp2 kinda patch commes out for Vista before i switch, untill that time i keep reading, with an open mind.

"Are you sitting down?", cause here is the line wich might help you alot in the future:

When one posts like you did, just do it properly, polite and make sure you dont offend anyone with the way you type the post, or refraise if you did.

This forum runs on oppinions, wich is knowledge.

This forum runs on reviews, so when one assumes that (for example this post)

is made with no knowlegde at all about the perticular Os is not only rude, but also untrue tbh.

So i will end this post with this :

Read not to contradict and confute, nor to find talk and discourse, but to weigh and consider.

That is how one learns when something new commes our way.

A_G: Get a reality check instead of pretending you (technically) understand half of the "evidence against vista" you keep posting - its a lost cause, because in the grand scheme of things, nobody cares about your little crusade. If you were coming from the other side of the fence (die hard Linux or Mac addict) I could somewhat understand it, but to keep spouting how superior XP is, just shows what a tool you are.

lol

that's all I can say, is lol

My particular favorite is the first sentence... Hey Angry... do you Understand (Technically) Vista? lol

Well, I for one trust in your technical expertise... and after testing vista out, yeah... just yeah... lol

gee...I mean, you know...I never actually installed Vista. I guess you are right, it is just me making stuff up. I don't even know XP all that well, I still use Windows98SE. I've never installed XP either.

Wait, I take that back. I don't actually use any Microsoft OS, never have, never will. I'm a diehard Blootix fan, which is superior to OSX, Windows, Linux, Unix, Sun, Novell, etc.

So yeah, you are right...you caught me...I lied. I have zero experience with any MS operating system, I'm just a hater who hates everything except for the groupies that love me for being such a hater. I got to keep acting like I know what I'm talking about so people will shower me with love and praise and keep licking my boots.

I mean, isn't this what life is supposed to be about? Lying so that you sound like you know what you are talking about to get people to praise you like you DO know what you are talking about?

I apologize profusely Ganiscol, I should have never tried to fool your master intellect in such a way. You've called me out and now I must resign my position and give the forum up to someone worthy.

Give me an email and I will personally hand over this forum to you, no strings attached, and you can begin to school everyone here who apparently is as stupid as I am. The forum is yours. You may do with it as you wish once I give it to you. I am not worthy of even being allowed to post here so the last thing I will do is ban myself.

Thank you for showing me the error of my ways.

Just bought a P4 3gig Compaq off Woot for $305 shipped. Yes it has Vista. It is a backup for a bookkeeper and she only uses Quickbooks, Office 97, and Firefox so how tough can it be. I don't want to go to all the work of installing XP so let's try Vista.

Firefox installed fine.

Quickbooks 2006 said install failed. Sure enough it would not update. A quick trip to Intuit says QB2006 is not compatible with Vista and I need to buy QB2007 (too convenient). So I tried running install as admin and runing QB in XP compatibility mode and update worked. It all seems to work ... time will tell.

Office97 ... says install failed but seems to work.

Problem is finding XP drivers for this thing. Compaq only provides Vista so I would have to hunt and peck ... which I am willing to do if I have to but we shall see how it goes.

I'm not afraid of drivers, I started with an Apple IIe so scared I'm not ... spoiled I am and lazy, thus I still like XP in this Vista transitional phase.

Ok, I guess its time to make good on Ganiscol's wanting a Linux/Unix persons point of view.

I've been using Linux since Slackware 7, I've tried nearly every flavor out there (Ubuntu and its variants are probably my most despised). I also do tech support in our college as part of my curriculum.

Throughout the past two years I have been dealing with this "Shiny-Disc" syndrome that every one has been coming down with, most people here know what I'm talking about, but I will explain it for those who are not familiar with the symptoms. The symptoms include wanting to install Vista on a low end 2k Pro system, only wanting the product because its the newest and prettiest thing out there right now, and not reading about incompatibilities with hardware/software before purchase.

Back on topic, this OS has been nothing but a headache for not only myself, but the rest of our service staff. And the gains when it comes to software and hardware are marginal at best.

Now lets talk about hardware...Vista is such a resource hog that you need a mid range multi-media station just to run the damn thing at a decent pace. It takes up an ENORMOUS amount of harddisk space, I can do a Linux install on a 10GB HDD space and still have room to put some mySQL practice databases on, XP 5 Gigs is usually what I allot for my OS, now bring in the resource hog Vista Weighs in at a whopping 15 GB!

By now you're probably getting my point, but lets look at memory I can run a Linux desktop on 256MB of RAM (actually I just transformed an old compaq Deskpro into a linux desktop for my cousin), WinXP 384MB is probably the lowest I would go (with no tweaking) so the system doesn't bog down, Vista (god it makes me cringe everytime I type that) 1 Gig just for the GD operating system.

I could go further into things like processors, Video Cards, and compatibilities. But I will leave you with that for now.

well shatteredsteel you must be just as stupid as I am, so I guess Linux users are no better than Blootix and Mac and Sun users.

Maybe the guy is right, and we just don't know what we are talking about. Just because we've installed the thing 100+ times on 100+ hardware configs with 100+ software configs and had problems on probably 98% of those installs doesn't really mean Vista is a piece of crap, in fact I think it means the exact opposite, that Vista should be run to as fast as you can run and installed on every single machine you can get your hands on because without Vista, we are nothing but losers who haven't crawled out of the dark ages of computing.

I mean geez, everyone knows Vista is just exactly like Microsoft claims...the best OS ever built, the most stable, the most secure, the most compatible. Why else would they offer 9 different versions? Mac OSX is stupid for giving everyone the entire OS without breaking it down into different costs for different features. But we already knew Mac users were idiots anyway.

Linux, I mean, how good can a FREE operating system be? LOL. Come on, Linux for free is like getting turds for free. We all know if it doesn't cost a $100+ then it is nothing but a pile of crap that can't be trusted. And let us not even get into the security holes everyone knows run rampant in Linux. Stupid webserver hosts/admins think they are so smart for making almost every webserver a Linux box, but man, a free OS with all those problems? Hahahaha. Ganiscol is totally correct.

Windows Vista should run everything. I think I see the point now. I'm going to begin installing Vista on every computer in the house/lab now, and if my webhost won't switch to Vista, I'll just find one who is willing to take my money knowing they are giving me the most stable, secure OS ever made.

Microsoft doesn't lie. That is not in their best interest. So of course their view is not polluted by the fact they created Vista. Plus look at their track record. Heck, my Xbox360 is broken AGAIN but that isn't Microsoft's fault. I can't figure out why they would extend the warranty on those Xbox360's when its SO OBVIOUS that it is the user's fault for the things breaking, even the ones bought brand new and failed within a few hours.

Gosh you people, don't be so hard on Ganiscol. He's a very bright individual and you are all seemingly just jealous that his ideas are too new, too true, to be accepted. Stop being elitists ok? I'm going to make him Admin here and we'll finally be headed into the proper direction so that this forum only gives proper, truthful answers to those in need.

Ok Angry, I'll be nice. Only because you say so. Wait a minute...

According to Ganiscol, you're an idiot. Because you don't know what you're talking about, I don't have to listen to you. I'd rather listen to someone who got the knowledge and experience to keep me informed of computer technology. And I can't think of anyone who can fulfill that job better than Ganiscol.:rolleyes:

So Ganiscol, I ask you as the Jedi Master, please teach me the ways of the Force. I want to become a Jedi, like my father before me. By your example, I can defeat Angry Games, who has now turned to the dark side of the Force.

Gosh you people, don't be so hard on Ganiscol. He's a very bright individual and you are all seemingly just jealous that his ideas are too new, too true, to be accepted. Stop being elitists ok? I'm going to make him Admin here and we'll finally be headed into the proper direction so that this forum only gives proper, truthful answers to those in need.