Overclockin' General Question?!

Guys I have a question.

I'm currently waiting for my new heat-sink to arrive (got a zalman 9500) and then I'm going to install my Athlon X2 3800+

I have the ArctiClean cleaner / purifier / compound all ready to go.

Which is why I'm here.

I read nearly all of the HUGE AMD O'clockin Sticky however some parts confuse me. (more specifically following the numbers)

I was leaning towards trying to O'clock this processor. *after it's stable on prime of course*

My current set up is in my sig below *if any more info is needed just ask*

I was wondering if there was anything that I could follow as a walk-through that's step by step.

Because as I sit here and try to read through the guides and tutorials, you guys are tossing numbers around & that's where I fall off track.

I've got prime, cpuz, everest, a64info, a64tweaker, a64mem-helper & clockgen

However I'm not sure on the specifics and stuff. I was just curious if there was a walk through where it incorporated personalized numbers * i know it's a stretch* so that it's easier to follow..

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

go to the 939 OCDB and see what people that have your type of ram are using for timings and then look for your presser and see how they did there settings will get you in the ball park. think that corsair you got has TccD and lots of post with TccD chips but 4x512 can be a real pain in the butt. under my sig is a 3700 and TccD just click it. you should get to 2750 easy from then on its gonna take testing and testing

EDIT DO NOT use ntune or clockgen they are known to burn up your hardware with these boards. use your bios only and pass memtest 5 and 8 before entering your os

Clockgen is not liked by DFI people in general. Some brave souls will use it after everything is stable just to get a general idea of limits by running a testing program and ever so slightly clicking up the HTT (only using the first 3 adjustment) until error. Some claim it is the quickest way to corrupt the bios. I have used it in this manner and did not find it all that useful. You have to go to bios to make the settings permanent anyway. You do not want to use clockgen to auto set an OC.

But the Genie bios with that handy memtest98 option is designed to find out your limits before you get into Windows and corrupt your Windows install.

A64 info and A64 tweaker are not exactly safe either. Just read the A64 info's Faq in the program itself. You'll see. I hate corrupting bios myself so I rarely use it for any reason... Still it's almost mandatory for reading the bios's auto values. Or showing bios values in a screenshot. I don't use it to set any reg's though.

A64 info and A64 tweaker are not exactly safe either. Just read the A64 info's Faq in the program itself. You'll see. I hate corrupting bios myself so I rarely use it.. Still it's almost mandatory for reading the bios's auto values. Or showing bios values in a screenshot. I don't use it to set any reg's though.

Exactly. I have A64 tweaker crash my system just by opening the program once, but no harm done. I suspected something else was wrong but never crashed again (but didn't try tweaker on that system either) As Clay said, don't use it for adjustments, just reading.

Up until a few weeks ago, i would have said 4x512 sticks of ram is very difficult. Now i have changed my mind on that. It's not all that hard, and if you get it right it's worth the effort(unless you can find some nice 2x1024 sticks). If you want to make life a bit easier for your self then flash your bios to Tony's 704-2BTA. It will auto set your ram to 2t when you have to load optimized defaults. As others have said, don't use ANY software to clock from windows. Most of it dos'nt work, and the bits that do will corrupt your install at some point. Do it from the bios.

If you want to make life a bit easier for your self then flash your bios to Tony's 704-2BTA. It will auto set your ram to 2t when you have to load optimized defaults.

how stable is that version? more so then my current or will it just allow me to perform certain tasks such as running at 2t

i appreciate the heads up on the software, i only got the programs to read and view everything.