Overclockin' General Question?!

Tony's 704-2BTA is the best all around bios. you should see the link under my sig tmods CD and make one as it makes for very easy and safe way to flash bios and all the bios made for your board is there. Also if you do flash make sure your not over clocked and your PC is stable. BUT you should only flash a Bios if its known to fix a proble you have. And at this point I dont see no problem

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how stable is that version? more so then my current or will it just allow me to perform certain tasks such as running at 2t

It's as solid as a rock, just as solid as your present bios. All bios's allow you to run at 2t, including your present one. The problem though comes when running with 4 sticks of ram. All bar Tony's 704-2BTA set the ram at 1t from a cmos clear, or when loading optimized defaults. If you set 4 sticks of ram to 1t, you will not even get into the bios after you have saved and exited, and from a cmos clear all you will get is a continuous beep on booting. Tony's just makes it easier to clock, until you find your best ram and cpu speeds and settings. Once done you can of course use the same settings in another bios, but you won't be testing in that bios.

alright i follow what you're saying.

however is it something to be concerned about flashing your bios in an attempt not to fix anything? *such as Wil suggested*

or is that just taking the safe / cautious way?

The jist of your origional post suggested that you are just getting ready to start clocking. At the early stages, for someone "new" to it, it can be very very frustrating. The reason is that you will get lots of restarts, crashes, freezes and worst of all you could corrupt your windows install. All of that is bad enough, but if every time it happens you can't get back into tha bios without taking 2 sticks of ram out, you could loose heart pretty quick. That's why i suggested Tony's bios, it just makes the whole experience quicker and more enjoyable when you are running with 4 sticks.

I've had good luck with the 04/06 BTA BIOS with 4 sticks as well. CMOS clear resets to 2T with that BIOS also.

Currently running 4x1GB at 254 MHz (3-3-2-8-2T) with 2.5v stable.

yeah i would be just starting... haven't done too much o'clockin... had to do a tiny bit of ram tweaking last summer when i tried to get my 4X512mb sticks workin.. but thats all..

i'm at 3-3-7-7-2t right now @ 2.5 - and been runnin that way since last summer. (ran prime a bunch of times with no issue)

so i'll look at flashin that new bios before i install my new oem processor and then my new heatsink.

thanks again guys!

The reason most of don't recomending bios flashing is because sometimes even done right things go wrong. (The stock bios in my lp-b lasted 9mins)

I flashed to tony's 6/04 (Last bios on page 2 of nf4 ut ultra bios page. On tmods cd.)the other day. and it also defaults to 2t timings.. (Ooops somebody allready mentioned it)I went back to the 6-23-3 bios shortly after though. I've allways wondered why my ultra-d shipped with a plcc puller.(Does someone there know me?LOL)

Edit: If you need proper bios flash,post-flash instructions I'll post them up for ya'.

Okay here ya' go. Once again I would ask that if anyone sees anything wrong or if I've missed something or forgotton something to please post up.

1st. Don't flash overclocked.

2nd."Important" Load optimised defaults.

3rd. Boot to cd.

4th. select lan-party bios.

5th select nf4 lan-party bios.as the Ultra-d and the sli-d and the sli-dr bios are the same.Careful I've nearly flashed to an nf3 ultra-d bios before.

(Avoid the expert and venus bios)

6#. Select bios and flash. (Heres where we all pray the power stays on.)

7#. Important: After pressing f1 to reset. Don't let the computer reboot. I allway try to stop it at or just before the system repost. Power switch on the back of the power-supply works good.

8#. Cmos clear. Impotant A#.Unplug the psu and drain the psu and board caps By hitting the power button. B#. Remove the cmos battery. C#. Set jumper to the clear position. D#. "Wait" Most peeps only give this about an mim or so. Though I like to let it sit for awhile longer though. (Usually 15mins or so.)

9#. Important A# plug it back in. B#. Put the Battery back in. C#. Set the jumper to the run position.

D#."Important part" Don't let the the computer reboot. Enter cmos and load "Optimised" again. "Save and exit".

10#.Re-enter cmos and start overclocking. I try to do this changing only 1-2 settings at a time as I believe this helps prevent bios corruption.

I'll post this in your thread too. Just to be sure I got everything right.(Put it up for everyone to scrutinize)

Edit: In step 8#. It might be better to pull the cmos battery before draining the board-psu. But probably not a real big deal.

thanks clay...

however steps 8 & 9 i really don't feel comfortable doing what so ever.

i really don't trust my self unplugging anything on the board, yet alone a battery.. nor do i have any idea what the jumper is.. lol :(

thanks clay...

however steps 8 & 9 i really don't feel comfortable doing what so ever.

i really don't trust my self unplugging anything on the board, yet alone a battery.. nor do i have any idea what the jumper is.. lol :(

LP%20UT%20nF4%20SLI-D.jpg

See the red jumper^

Just switch it to the other two pins to clear, then switch back to run normally.

alright

i flashed it and followed the instructions to a T

however after i installed the bios, pressed f1, then shut er down.

i went back into bios, opt-ed my defaults, saved, then went back in and change the boot priority to hard disk - and now after it says backin up cmos ok.. it's tryin to boot from cd still

a major issue or no?