Overclockin' General Question?!

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

alright well NYC was crazy to sum it up a little bit lol.

but i ran the prime when i was out at work this morning, it's done 13 hours and 1 pass through thus far.

i also ran the scan disc over night as soon as i got home as well.. so im hoping that everything is fine and dandy.

i'll try just installing the new processor tomorrow after work.

that way i'll use the stock HSF for a test and make sure everything is running fine THEN try to mount the 9500...

i think that way is my best option since it's the first time for me installing a new processor and heatsink... so by eliminating some variables from each install probably isn't a bad idea imo.

hey hes back lol well how things going ?

lol willy boi!

as i said ^^ sooo far everything seems to be fine. i've ran prime so far for 35 hours and it's made 3 rounds Thus far.

plus scan disc and i'll do the mem test (right now to be safe) but i'm going to attempt to install the new processor

i feel fairly confident with the AMD-how to video and the arctic silver walk through that i've found.

so i'll give that a try and hope for the best!!!

wish me luck!

I didn't install the new processor last night, i passed the heck out on the couch watching tv.

So i started and finished tonight!

I must say that dealing with that stock amd clip on HSF is a real pain in the buttocks!

I took it off without a problem, and go figure right as i was about to snap on one of the sides my mom taps my shoulder, scares the . outta me, and i broke the little metal piece that's inside the clip (the side that doesn't have the black clamp arm)

luckily i wasn't feeling too rattled, and installed my zalman. everything seems to be running... i made sure i quickly tested the fan on the zalman before i let windows load.

initial temps seeeeem alright, however i haven't put the processor through anything yet...Initial Temps

i know that there is usually a 24 hour break in period, however besides that, i'm curious what i should do before i actually consider overclocking..

thanks

i just now hooked up my fan controller for the zalman... when i booted up the 1st time, i just had the fan plugged into the 'cpu fan' clot on the board.

i'm going to go check the bios settings now

& i'm not sure about the ambient temps :(

i just now hooked up my fan controller for the zalman... when i booted up the 1st time, i just had the fan plugged into the 'cpu fan' clot on the board.

i'm going to go check the bios settings now

& i'm not sure about the ambient temps :(

I could never get my Zalman to work with that controller. The fan would never turn on with the controller installed and I was afraid to wait and see if it would eventually go due to fear of frying my little pet CPU ... if you can do it congratulations. I maybe gave up too soon.

them duel core run hotter then the single ones . plus depending on what you used but AS5 takes 50 to 200 hours to set up. mine booted and ran 38 when i first turned it on but then it booted the first time at 2800:D

alright i'm going to leave it off then while i'm at work

come home and RE-set my heatsink.

i didn't use as5 i used the ceramic compound..

i'll try cleaning both this evening and re-attaching the heatsink to see if my temps drop at all.

thanks again guys i'll keep you posted and will probably have another problem lol :D

If you used Arctic ceramic it should be as good as silver. As wil said you may want to wait for the cure time. I have seen improvement with time but don't remember it being dramatic, I suppose that varies also. I have not used that CPU and some do run warmer than others. Actually even the same model CPU can vary in its temp.

The Zalman is an easy install even in the case so you can always redo it.

Set the Zalman to go full tilt at 30C and see what happens.