Video card

General Septem

I think you should buy a PSU first and make sure you have enough power to go and than go for the GPU! You waited a while for a upgrade so you can wait a little more. I mean the OCZ GameXstream 700W you can get already for 100$ after mail-in rebate! That thing has been in the last 3 of my rigs and is rock solid currently running the stuff in my sig! Just my 5C to the story!

I'd have wasted $100 if I find out the 520 will do a good job. But we'll soon see.

No guts, no glory... :D

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im doing the same thing you are Generall but I started out by buying a new Opty as Newegg has them on sell for a hundred or one twenty for the 170. I dont think there is a video card out there you cant run with a duall core at 2.7 or 2.8. Im just maxing out my 939box as much as I can that's why I have 4X1Gig of ram in it.what worries me is I have a Viewsonic VX2235vm 22in 10X16 LCD and Im wondering if I really need the 640 8800GTS to push that moniter as my 6800GS just isint cutting it anymore. BA

How ya doin General! Just a little note on the 8800GTS,I myself have the 640MB card and I absolutely LOVE it! After doing a little research i have come to find the the minimum requirement for power is only 400 watts.We all know that OCZ makes some pretty good power so with that in mind I would keep your power supply and get the 8800,just probably won't be able to OC very much.Hope this helps you make a decision that is right for you.Good luck!

it is if you game at 1280x1024 oO, otherwise its "better" than a 8800GTS 640..but of course if i had been on a strict budget id have gotten the 8800GTS 320 hands down..its still a great card i just wanted to give ATI another chance (im not regretting it one bit)

You're probably right about this thing being able to handle the 8800GTS. as it turns out, it only consumes about 108W of power, which @ +12V is only like 9A. By comparison, the label on the side of this PSU says it can output 30A on the +12V rail.

I'm looking forward to this card coming, should be tomorrow or Tuesday. With the exception of the GTX and Ultra, it seems to be the best card out there, which tells me I'll be happy with it for at least a few years. This 6600 is decent, but I'm still afraid to push it.

If a 6600 has kept you happy for this long an 8800GTS will make you very happy for a long while to come. I picked up a GTS and actually feel it was the best money I had spent on my comp in the last year.

Your 520 OCZ should be just fine as well.