Video card

General Septem

I've been wanting to replace this old dinosaur for so long now. First I wanted to wait until R600 came out. That turned out to be a flop, and I was discouraged.

What's even more discouraging though is that in order to get the graphics card I want - the 8800GTS 320, I (more than likely) need to upgrade this PSU.

I can handle the price of an 8800GTS, but not a new PSU on top of that. I've got a few things I can sell, but I don't want to spend my money before I make it, and I can't sell the 6600 or the PSU until I replace them.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a good, but economical card that will keep the occasional albeit quality-appreciating gamer satisfied for a couple years to come? Or am I better off holding out until I can afford an 8800GTS and a new PSU? I appreciate your help. :D

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What exactly is your budget?

Basically, I'm guessing that I'll probably be able to afford any card that this PSU can power. Keep in mind, I'm willing to buy an 8800GTS 320, and the only cards more expensive than that (at least on Newegg) are the other 8800s and the 2900XT, and this PSU won't handle either of them, either. If you think I'd be happier with the 8800GTS 320, though, I'd rather wait until I can afford that and a new PSU than get a card I'm going to regret, especially since I can't even guarantee that this PSU didn't cause the death of a 7950GT I fried a while back.

Guest Lavell

Assuming that you're not in a hurry to jump on the Windows Vista & DirectX 10 bandwagons, I would recommend getting 2 of these and run them in SLI:

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?...N82E16814127277

I just bought 2 of them for my brother's computer. These cards perform very well and you will still be able to keep your PSU. They will definitely hold you over for a year or 2 until you are ready to go DirectX 10. I still have my Radeon X1900 Crossfire setup and it continues to perform exceptionally well.

Assuming that you're not in a hurry to jump on the Windows Vista & DirectX 10 bandwagons, I would recommend getting 2 of these and run them in SLI:

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?...N82E16814127277

I just bought 2 of them for my brother's computer. These cards perform very well and you will still be able to keep your PSU. They will definitely hold you over for a year or 2 until you are ready to go DirectX 10. I still have my Radeon X1900 Crossfire setup and it continues to perform exceptionally well.

if he is gonna spend $300 im sure he'd get a 320 8800

Guest Lavell

He stated that he didn't want to buy a new PSU. It would cost him more money if he bought the card you mentioned because he would have to buy a new PSU to power the card. If he bought the cards I suggested, he would only spent $300 and keep his current PSU. That's why I made that recommendation.

if he is gonna spend $300 im sure he'd get a 320 8800

I understand your point. My recomendation would be , if you can find out if it will handle it. get the 8800gts 320. if it wont then save for a new psu and 8800gts and who know the price may have dropped or something new may have come out when u get ready to purchase it and you get an even better deal.

He stated that he didn't want to buy a new PSU. It would cost him more money if he bought the card you mentioned because he would have to buy a new PSU to power the card. If he bought the cards I suggested, he would only spent $300 and keep his current PSU. That's why I made that recommendation.

Actually, two 7900s would still push this more than recommended:

http://www.diy-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10854

OCZ PowerStream 600W WARNING: The OCZ Powerstream 600w is a fantastic power supply but it is NOT recommended for X1900XT/7900GTX or newer Crossfire/SLI. Avoid if you plan on using them in X1900XT Crossfire or 7900GTX SLI, or any newer Crossfire/SLI setup! Other than this particular combination (Crossfire X1900 / SLI 7900 or newer), the OCZ 600w Powerstream is a fantastic psu and is highly recommended.

I understand the power demand of the GS is less than that of the GTX, but it can't be by much, and this PSU is the 520, not the 600. If I were to do this, I'd just as soon get the 8800GTS anyway as I'm betting one of those wouldn't draw more power than two of these.

I understand your point. My recomendation would be , if you can find out if it will handle it. get the 8800gts 320. if it wont then save for a new psu and 8800gts and who know the price may have dropped or something new may have come out when u get ready to purchase it and you get an even better deal.

I've brought it up in another thread, but I didn't get a very enthusiastic yes.

It probably would work fine, but I'm wary about this PSU; I had trouble a few months ago upgrading to a 7950GT, and was never able to rule it out as the cause.

I should just bite the bullet. If it fries it, I'll just send it in for a replacement and not install it until I get a new PSU. :/

It definitely seems like it'd be pushing it but like you said all you can do is fry it and get a replacement. And who knows it may work and u can enjoy it while saving up for that new psu.

It definitely seems like it'd be pushing it but like you said all you can do is fry it and get a replacement. And who knows it may work and u can enjoy it while saving up for that new psu.

I hit the button. It's on its way. :D

I'm justifying it by saying I have to spend more on myself than I pay in gasoline and taxes. :sweat:

I think you should buy a PSU first and make sure you have enough power to go and than go for the GPU! You waited a while for a upgrade so you can wait a little more. I mean the OCZ GameXstream 700W you can get already for 100$ after mail-in rebate! That thing has been in the last 3 of my rigs and is rock solid currently running the stuff in my sig! Just my 5C to the story!