Service Call from Hades

red930

I went on a service call a few days ago that was absolutely excruciating; in sight, smell and visible actions from the client.

I was referred to this particular client from a friend of mine. She had been conversing with this individual for some time over MSN Messenger. According to her, he makes a pretty good living eBaying and daytime stock trading.

In one of their last conversations he mentioned a problem with one of his computers. She tried to help him but he wasn't to clear on what was actually happening, hence, she referred him to me.

He called me, citing my friend as reference, and explained his problem. Though his description was rather vague I determined he was having either a heat issue or possible component failure (random shut-offs, freezes and such). I weened the system config from him and set-up an appointment time. I advised him how much I charged plus travel time considering he is at least a 75 minute drive from where I live. He agreed and confirmed it with a e-mail follow-up.

Side note: my Honda Accord is broken right now; timing belt went out 10,000 miles before servicing and ruined the engine block. I had to ask assistance from a very good friend in order to make it to the service call. I compensate them very well for their time (as I normally do) and also take care of their three computers so this was no big deal. Both of them are retired which makes it even more convenient to ask them for assistance until I can get my car fixed.

On the night of the appointment we head out to this guy's house, stopping by BK to pick up some grub for my friend and his wife. Gotta love them tripple patty burgers!

Anyways, we arrived at this guys house and I thought I was completely armed with everything I logically believed would be needed to correct the issues he was experiencing. I wasn't prepared for the situation I walked into.

The driveway leading up to the house had been recently been paved, lawn was a little overgrown but not too bad, and paint on the house was somewhat faded but not as bad as I have seen in the area where I live.

I got out of the car, walked up to the door and knocked. After a few seconds the door opened. The smell that hit my nostrils was almost enough to make me puke. Maintaining composure, I introduced myself to this gentleman. He was rather scruffy looking and did not appear to have maintained personal hygiene for at least a month. He introduced himself and we proceeded with the formalities. After the initial greetings were completed, I entered into this hell-spawned place.

I have never, EVER seen a ******* place so messed-up as this messed-up place was. The front entrance hallway was ragged: the carpet twine was curled upwards in many places. The wallpaper was coming apart at the seams and the border was hanging down at each area joining of the roof and walls. He lead me through his living room which was stacked with packing material, and other despicable things, back to his den which he conducted business from.

The den was a ******* mess. Their were printouts stacked all around. Dirty dishes surrounded the tables he had his computers situated on. Gnats flew around me when I entered the room. This was absolutely disgusting.

He pointed me to the computer that was having problems. It was an HP Pavilion 6XXX series in the traditional HP style case. The outer shell was covered with fly feces, as was much of the equipment and the surrounding area.

After shutting down the system I pulled the side panel off. There was much dust and debris inside the case. A spider (looked like a hobo) scurried out of the case away from me (thankfully!). I informed him the case had a build-up of dust and will need to be cleaned-out. I had brought a couple of cans of Dust-Off so this was no problem.

After taking the case outside, blowing it out, returning it to it's original placement and powering it on, I experienced none of the problems he related to me.

He then asked if I could clean-out his other computers. Reluctantly, I agreed. Two hours later I was done with the task. He paid me cash once presented with the bill ($210) and tipped me $50. I left with my friends shortly afterword whom I paid $100 for their time.

During the drive home, I urgently asked them to stop the car. They pulled-off the road just short of McKinleyville, I got out and puked my guts out until dry heaving started taking place.

Will I ever go back to this person's house? HELL NO! I sent him a friendly e-mail relating my discontent with his living conditions. He hasn't responded. Probably never will. I hope to never go on another service call like that again.

Cliffs:

- Went on service call referred to me by friend

- Person's house was disgusting

- Cleaned all six computers in a disgusting environment

- He paid in cash

- Tipped my friends $100

- Will never go back there again

heh, I've had service calls like this but where the house was full of heavy smokers and the dust in the computers won't come out...it's bonded to the machine parts with nicotine...and the smell of that ....it gets on you everywhere, in your hair, in your clothes, in your nose, on your hands...and it is almost impossible to wash out after one or two washes.

I've also been in houses where the dogs/cats apparently were taught to urinate and defecate on the floor, or in the chair, or really anywhere convenient, and the customer never blinked or apologized, like it was absolutely normal.

I've been in houses of people I am sure are absolutely insane, and even frightening or dangerous in the extreme. Tech calls are sorta like police calls...not so much in the danger departement, but more in the "always different every call" department.

ok I came to this thread thinking nothing could be THAT bad.

But I was wrong, horrendously wrong.

I have been in houses like that before (well not THAT bad, and I don't plan to return)

Reminds me of a time when a friend and I did appliance delivery many years ago. Similar situation on the living quarters. Long story short, my friend got dog crap on him as we were moving the old washing machine out of the basement and I really don't want to know what got on me, probably more dog crap. I feel your pain on the service call from Hades.

heh, I've had service calls like this but where the house was full of heavy smokers and the dust in the computers won't come out...it's bonded to the machine parts with nicotine...and the smell of that ....it gets on you everywhere, in your hair, in your clothes, in your nose, on your hands...and it is almost impossible to wash out after one or two washes.

I've also been in houses where the dogs/cats apparently were taught to urinate and defecate on the floor, or in the chair, or really anywhere convenient, and the customer never blinked or apologized, like it was absolutely normal.

I've been in houses of people I am sure are absolutely insane, and even frightening or dangerous in the extreme. Tech calls are sorta like police calls...not so much in the danger departement, but more in the "always different every call" department.

I omitted the description of dog crap on purpose. The subject of the service call had two dogs. I dare not describe the other "features" of the rooms on purpose.

I may be proved direct in past pretenses but this situation deemed discretion to a certain degree. ;) :dog:

Guest element

FFS. I can't believe how some ppl live. I mean I have 'crap' all over the place but that's ah just my belongings...... not ..

My father is a piano technician, and he's told me about some disgusting service calls he's made. Nothing this bad, though.

As stupid as people can be with computers, they can be just as stupid with pianos. Most people just call every fifteen years because it "still sounds fine but hasn't been tuned in a while". Then my dad goes and finds that half the keys sound three different notes when you press them. Yeah... still sounds fine. But at least most of these people keep their houses clean.

It's amazing how disgusting some people can let their houses get, though. If I was making service calls, I personally wouldn't even go into a house like this. Maybe that makes me snobby or aristocratic, but what am I going to do.

This one time at Band Camp... lol

Well, how about this one?!?!

A call comes into the office and no one wants to take it so I volunteer. First mistake, never volunteer for a job that no one else wants.

I get to the place and it's a couple in their late sixties with a huge dog sitting on their front porch. After introductions they ask if I'd like some lemonade and call into the house for their maid to bring some. We chat about their problem for almost 15 minutes before we actually make it inside.

As the front door opens, this smell hits me like a ton of bricks. It actually takes my breath away momentarily. It's a putrid sickening sour like decaying human flesh. So sour it's almost sweet as it burns your throat. I try breathing through my mouth but the funk is already imprinted on my olfactory organ so tightly I can't shake it.

The house is immaculate. A place for everything and everything in its place. The visual surely doesn't match the smell and my brain is starting to hurt. Determined to see this job through to the end I have them take me to their computer.

As we went down the hall to their computer room the smell got even worse. I was thinking I should bail on this job before I got infected by something. This is when it got weird.

The lady stopped at a closed door and said, "you want to see our babies?". The word "sure" came out of my mouth as my brain was taking a dump from funk overload.

She opened the door to one of the most insane things I've ever seen. There were about a dozen Fruit Bats hanging around like they were waiting on the train. The floor had several inches of feces mixed with urine as the source of the funky smell in the place.

The bats looked at me and I looked at the bats.

The next thing I remember was driving back to the office planning my revenge.

They sent the payment a couple of days later with a note about how nice I was. FEH!

People don't treat their cars any better than their house. There have been a few times I turned jobs away because I wouldn't even get in the car. I was stunned that a person would actually bring me a car with garbage everywhere and food rotting in the floorboard then get pissed off at me because I wouldn't work on it.