Opteron HT 1/2 of Athlon: Bad 4 Gaming?

A guy in another forum claims that since the HT in Opteron socket 939 processors are 1/2 that of the Athlons, things like gaming will be significantly slower. I don't believe this, in fact, is there even a difference between them? Is the HT really 1/2?

last i checked, the Opteron actually had an extra HT link in the cpu (for multiprocessor configs)

be wary of what you read from 'guys in forums'

always research what 'guys in forums' say because 90% or more of the time it's utter bull crap.

google/search is there for a reason, and you might find more than just the answer to your question (and new knowledge is always welcome)

I don't know much about the subject but if you look on newegg the opty 146 (and a few other opty's) have 1000ht and the am64's have 2000ht. Like i said i know little other that what i just saw browsing cpu's.

I don't know much about the subject but if you look on newegg the opty 146 (and a few other opty's) have 1000ht and the am64's have 2000ht. Like i said i know little other that what i just saw browsing cpu's.

think about this

go to newegg

some video cards say 800Mhz on the video RAM, while others say 1600Mhz

both are correct

one is 800Mhz DDR (GDDR etc) and the other is 800Mhz but it is listed as it's 'rated' memory speed (and 800Mhz DDR = 1600Mhz last time I did the math)

same as Athlon64 939 cpu's...their FSB is listed as 400Mhz, as well as 200Mhz. Both are correct. 200Mhz is the actual speed, but since it accepts/executes on both edges of the clock cycle, it is effectively 'doubled' which means it can also say it is 400Mhz (200Mhz DDR = 400Mhz, 400Mhz DDR = 800Mhz, etc, unless it is Intel cpu's, then you get the 'quad pumped' bus, and if you want explanation of that, use the search function, I've explained it more times than I can remember around here)

go look at just about any product that deals with "memory speeds" at Newegg or most other sites.

The actual link speed of the HT is truly 1000Mhz, but since it can execute on both edges of the clock cycle (ie Double Data Rate), it can also be labeled 2000Mhz (because, again, 1000Mhz doubled = 2000Mhz)

I was by no means doubting what you guys had said, but just like me if you (not you guys but people looking on newegg and the guys saying it had half h/t) had seen what i had it could be a common missconception.

It's like A_G said...

Opty's are figured *Before* ddr and desktop cpu's are figured *After* ddr

the HT multiplier is the dead giveaway...

5x200 =1000mhz (before ddr) X's 2 = 2000mhz (after ddr)

it advertised both ways...just depends what side of the ddr is computed at but it's still the same speed...

I once too asked the same question and google retrieved the answers...;)

I was by no means doubting what you guys had said, but just like me if you (not you guys but people looking on newegg and the guys saying it had half h/t) had seen what i had it could be a common missconception.

heh no worries m8, it definitely is a common misconception but I figured I'd explain it just in case anyone actually reads the nonsense we post ;)