Laptop recommendation please

madu

Hi guys.

I need some recommendation for a laptop. There are soo many out there with different fancy features, so I thought I;d get some expert comments..

I'm looking for one around $2000. My main need is performance and also weight. 14.1 screen would be ok but I'd trade for a 12.1 for weight. I dont need any fancy features but need a powerful processor.. t hat has to be the core 2 duo I guess..

Please feel free to give my any recommendation...

Thank you guys..

Madu

I just got a Dell e1705 and it is really nice. Even though I just got the Core duo it is still pretty fast but you can also configure with the C2D. Since you want a smaller monitor they have those models as well. For $2000 you can get a really sweet laptop.

A laptop need suggests portability, and if you need that then I recommend you consider a good warranty, good support and really good RMA. I've only used laptops provided by my employer so I can't comment on this but if you do need a laptop and your out and about and it breaks the last thing you want is a 2 month tussle on getting it fixed.

You say performance but not where; Number crunching, graphics, sound, moving data. What is your key component?

Check out these laptops. I own a Thinkpad T42. The X series is super light (less than 4 pounds) but I believe they don't have a optical drive installed (which makes them so light). My girlfriend has one of the X series. The T series and the Z series are also great.

thanks a lot for the replies guys.. actually i have my interest on the thinpad X too... but i saw the Tseries having the 2.33ghz proc but somewhat heavier..

the main purpose of this would be to use the Matlab simulation program.. which would mostly rely on proc power and amount of memory.. also amount of L2 cache can affect the speed of the simulation too.. so thats the main purpose i want the performance... but weight is also a consideration...

I dont if same spec laptops perform similarly so please do reply your good/bad observations.. thanks a lot again fellows...

A laptop need suggests portability, and if you need that then I recommend you consider a good warranty, good support and really good RMA. I've only used laptops provided by my employer so I can't comment on this but if you do need a laptop and your out and about and it breaks the last thing you want is a 2 month tussle on getting it fixed.

You say performance but not where; Number crunching, graphics, sound, moving data. What is your key component?

Naw...warranties are for sissys...lol j/k....but I had my laptop tore apart and I hadn't even had it for more than an hour.

10-04-07_1817.jpg

no matter which you choose warrenty is a must, IMHO. teching a laptop is way different from teching a desktop youself. and a regular core duo is still fine and it will save you some cash in areas you wanna spend more on like more ram, hdd, accerosies etc.

no matter which you choose warrenty is a must, IMHO. teching a laptop is way different from teching a desktop youself. and a regular core duo is still fine and it will save you some cash in areas you wanna spend more on like more ram, hdd, accerosies etc.

Not really....I have never messed with a laptop before and within hours of owning it I installed the 2gb memory, and the faster/bigger HDD. Having it taken apart I could have easily upgraded the cpu if I had bought that as well. The only thing that would be hard to upgrade would be the vid card....and if i'm not mistaken that can only be done if you have a MXM type vid card anyways. It's exactly like a desktop just a lot smaller and less space to work with. You just have to take your time and be careful.

And I recommend buying the ram and HDD separately if you want to upgrade those. It will save you quite a bit of money.

Thanks a lot for the replies guys...

The laptop should have a warranty since this is bought to me by the university... so it has to be from a branded manufacturer...

so the ones we consider are most probably IBM, Toshiba, Panasonic, Fujitsu, Toshiba, Sony and the like... and messing with the laptop is not an option.. so I have to use it as it is for atleast like 2 years... I will not be playing any games on this.. but the Matlab program takes quite an amount of memory... and also L2 cache gives a boost...

weight is also a factor so 15.1 screens are not really interested... would go for a 14.1 one if there is better performance over the 12.1.. if not I'd like to have a 12.1...

thanks a million for the replies guys..

Madu.

My .02

-------

Lenovo Notebooks - Great desktops especially for business. Great build, and very reliable. Decent enough features, not really for gaming.

Dell Laptops - A little bit more expensive, but easy to find a 25% off coupon. For example : XPGH$C57$L1$F5 - Good for $450 off $999+

They are easily customizable, just stay away from the Geforce Go 7300, X1400 is better. IMO, good quality build, good warrenty.

CyberPowerPC: IMO, Stay away. They have good specs, but TERRIBLE service. I know this first had. I had a friend who ordered a laptop with an ATI 9800, but it came with a 9700, and a different processor then the one he ordered. He was fine with it since it was a decent price anyways, but if you call tech support, be prepared to deal with ill tempered individuals. They have a habbit of hanging up on you after they've said instructions once.