Boot time w/ Qx6700?

Hey DiYers, a friend of mine who splurged on a monster of a system is having an issue. He has a QX6700 on a eVGA 680i A1 mobo with 2GB of Patriot DDR2-800 and a eVGA 8800GTX. All of this running off of a 150GB Raptor drive. Now supposedly everything runs as it should except for booting into windows (which is windows XP Pro). Says that the loading bar passed about 30 times before it boots into it. Now I think that's completely out of wack since my AMD 4600+ passes 3-4 times and it's in. I initially thought it was his HDD, but he disagrees. If it's not his HDD, what could it possibly be?

Does he have a lot of crap installed that loads upon startup? And the CPU has 0 to do with it. For example, one of my old machines (just replaced it with a Core 2) booted into Windows faster with an Athlon XP 2000+ than my laptop or desktop do with their Core 2 Duos. The difference is they have stuff that runs on startup that tend to take a lot of system resources. I'll agree that 30 bars is a lot but I've seen worse because of excessive programs running upon system startup.

Does he have a lot of crap installed that loads upon startup? And the CPU has 0 to do with it. For example, one of my old machines (just replaced it with a Core 2) booted into Windows faster with an Athlon XP 2000+ than my laptop or desktop do with their Core 2 Duos. The difference is they have stuff that runs on startup that tend to take a lot of system resources. I'll agree that 30 bars is a lot but I've seen worse because of excessive programs running upon system startup.

Nope, he states this is after a clean install w/ nothing but drivers installed. Not even an antivirus program or anything.

He's reinstalled windows approx. 3 times so far. Each has the same result. Like I stated before though, his pc works fine within windows. Even gets a 10k+ score in 3dmark06. It's just the boot time.

For some reason my windows takes exactly 30 bars when I don't have the IDE driver installed. I have no idea about the workings of the actual rig but it just seemed to ring a bell when I read the post ya know.

sounds like its waiting for something to load and eventually timing out, i'd normally check eventvwr to see if anything is failing to startup properly or any other potential issues that re-occur each time windows starts.

you said with just drivers installed; my raptors in striping take 1 pass until I install creative drivers which bump up the loading time another 7 passes. so maybe its worth looking to see if the problem occurs after a particular driver is installed

He did a full test with other compatible parts for a C2D setup and figured out that with all of his parts (minus the Quad Core - wasn't compatible with Dell's terrible MBs) the boot time was significantly reduced. So, he tried the other parts (Corsair mem, E6700, SATA HDD) on his 680i and the result was the same as his own setup. So, his mobo was causing this issue. Either he's missing some drivers or his brand new eVGA 680i A1 is a dud.

He's reinstalled windows approx. 3 times so far. Each has the same result. Like I stated before though, his pc works fine within windows. Even gets a 10k+ score in 3dmark06. It's just the boot time.

10k score in 3dm06 is low in my opinion. I get 14k+ at stock settings with my EVGA A1 board. I realise i am running SLI but with that system id still be expecting atleast 12k. Sounds like somethings not set up right in the BIOS.

Has he tried to overclocking it ? cause a messed up overclock causes this board to restart at much lower frequencys so you can fix the problem. My board has clocked my cpu right down to 1.6ghz after an unsuccessful overclock. Prehaps frequencys arn't set up correctly.

I initially thought it was his HDD, but he disagrees.

Has he tried another hard drive ?

i've seen this problem all around with winxp/2000. I rebuilt two k6 machines, one with quantum bigfoot 6gb hdd, and one with seagate 10gb. both boot much faster than my new computer. I've tried swapping hdd's and installing and it's still slow.

I'm gonna try a smaller hdd and see what happens. I've tried a seagate sata 2 250gb and a western digital 250gb ide. both booted same time exactly. 80 seconds for win2k prof, ~60 for winxp prof, and for the old machine, about 40 seconds w/500 mhz plus it's a k6-2 so offboard l2 cache if it even has it on the mobo, and 512mb ram pc100 cl3 versus my 2.6ghz opteron w/ 2gb ram

• 2 weeks later...

On an outside chance...

What's his boot order set to in BIOS? If it's trying to boot through a LAN, Optical Drives, Floppy Drives etc... before the pc looks for the HD, you could be in for a long wait.

I'd also agree with the Borked install causing a long boot up. Has he tried other windows install CD's? Maybe something on his disc is foobar'd and causing a crap install.