Advice wanted - New AM2 System

shadrack

Well, the first thing that you need to ask yourself is what do you need the system for? How much money do you have? I would go with the Core 2 Duo approach if i were you. A grand is alot of money for no performance boost at all really if you'd ask me. Well, maybe you'll notice alittle boost in games, but that's just from the X1650 compared to the old outdated 6800 you're still running.

1)Intel E-6300

2)DFI Motherboard (Core 2 Duo compatible)

3)memory (do your research and see which will fit your need)

4)7900/7950GT video card PCI-E (good performer and under $300 or even $230 for the 7900GT.

5)OCZ GamerXstream 600W (great power and cheap)

Now i would invest into a case with 120mm fans instead of wasting my money on cases with 80mm fans that have been outdated. Components get hot, so i would go with larger fans than 80mm (intake, sidecase, and exhaust setup). The DVD-Burner is always your personal choice i guess. I got myself an NEC which has been serving well over the years now for only $55. They are faster ones out there and cheap too. Remember this all depends on you, but if you'd ask me i would build an Intel system. Good Luck!

Personally, you've got quite the mixed bag, and not a good one at that. No way in HELL I would ever trust a Rosewill PSU with $1000 of new equipment. If you want to play with Rosewill you go pay- to buy new components, that is. You're also all over the place with quality- good processor, horrible motherboard, decent memory, questionable GPU, etc. You should really consider evening things out some, and spending smart money instead of just spending money. Using your budget as a guideline, I managed to fit everything in except the case (but left money for your pick), but better (and smarter!) choices for your rig. This is what I would spend my money on:

Opteron 1210: $175. will OC as good as your 5200.

ABIT NF-M2 nView motherboard: Way better quality than AsRock, better video (6150 vs. 6100), better SB (430 vs. 410), more quality extras on the board. $89.99

G. Skill 2GB PC667 kit. In your case, just as good as the Corsair you had picked, but in stock. $195.

XFX PVT71PUDP3 GeForce 7900GS. Better card than 1650, XFX has double lifetime warranty if you ever decide to sell/upgrade. $150.

Antec True Power Trio 650. It's on the recommended list, and has enough power for this system forever. Nuff said. $110.

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB. Perpendicular recording, quiet, twice the capacity of the one you looked at. $95.

Lite-On 18x DVD burner w/DVD-RAM burner. A little faster than your Pioneer, will burn DVD-RAM also, really a tossup. Can go however you want. $32.

The Acer monitor you had picked. Another personal choice. $160.

This brings the total to $1025.75 shipped, leaving you $52 for a case to end up at your previous total, but with higher quality components that will take you farther for your buck. Just my opinion, of course, but most likely everyone will agree you can make better choices for your money.

Thanks for the info I was thinking all this would work together I know some of it is a ? mark! But it will work as far as I can tell. I will put this all together and let you all know how well it works. It should be a improvement over what I have know.

well to be honest, you will see 10 to 15% improvement in raw processing power (mainly due to dual core processor but not specific to Am2 architecture)... Of course your games will run better when dual core merges with a better vid card,

BUT, did you consider buying a used opty 165 or 170 and change the vid card only rather than investing a grand to move into ddr 2 world - at least until amd hits again (well who knows when though)...

Guest anewb ie

Why not just upgrade your video card and keep what you have? If you're not happy - then you can buy the other 'stuff' - but if you are happy you'd save $800.

Ooeric is dead wrong my fellow AMD lover.

Get yourself an Opteron 185 939 socket and stick with the stuff you got boy ;)

Newegg is putting out CCBBE steppings as we speak from their New Jersey warehouse, and that'd save you some serious money just upgrading your processor and video card.

Get yourself an 8800GTS and an Opty 185 and be happy ;)

yea i would upgrade what you have.

the case you chose is great. I built in one just last weekend. you NEED/ MUST HAVE a four channel fan controller, unless you want your rig to sound like your on a freeway overpass while punching yourself in the head while blasting death metal while listening to your wife nag about the front lawn.

but anyway, just get an opty 165, some ddr500 mem, a better gfx card, and that case if you want it. save you a little money, and you'll be happier.

the truth is, ddr2 really doesnt mean squat. just stick with what you know and love bro.

(or go to the darkside)