So you think you want to go Windows Vista huh? (part 2, Angry's rant)

Angry_Games

Are you kidding me? My G/F is not a high end user and she prefers to setup Fedora Core over Windows. When is the last time you installed Linux? It's super easy. Fedora Core finds all my Drivers for my NFII. Windows XP finds NONE! You tell me which is easier?? :)

Seriouly it's a toss up at best. In some cases LX is actually easier.

Uhm...last week it was Ubuntu, Debian before that and Fedora before that. I don't disagree one bit with the ease of use of Fedora's installer, but only about 10-15% of the distros I've tried have an installer that wouldn't make the average Windows user instantly cancel the installation.

No XP DX10 hack, it would require a complete kernel overhaul.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Uhm...last week it was Ubuntu, Debian before that and Fedora before that. I don't disagree one bit with the ease of use of Fedora's installer, but only about 10-15% of the distros I've tried have an installer that wouldn't make the average Windows user instantly cancel the installation.

No XP DX10 hack, it would require a complete kernel overhaul.

The average Winders user can't install windows ;)

DX is not integral to the Kernel - it has hooks so there's no way you would be overhauling a kernel for a vid engine upgrade. As a matter of fact I just read about the DX hooks in XP and DX9 vs Vista and DX10. Let me see if I can cash the check my mouth is writing here....

People said the same thing about wine.

I really don't know why any of this MS stuff surprises or gets anyone all upset. It all feeds into the cycle of economics and consumerism. Do we need it? No. Do we want it? Not really, but some of us do. Are we all going to have to move to it at some point in time? Yes. Why? Because thats how consumerism and capitalism works. We are all just little tiny parts in the big "economic machine".

I really don't know why any of this MS stuff surprises or gets anyone all upset. It all feeds into the cycle of economics and consumerism. Do we need it? No. Do we want it? Not really, but some of us do. Are we all going to have to move to it at some point in time? Yes. Why? Because thats how consumerism and capitalism works. We are all just little tiny parts in the big "economic machine".

I doubt many people that browse forums such as this are particularly surprised, but everyone needs a place to vent man.

And certainly not 100% of people will use Vista (at least at home) as more than a few people are using this as encouragement to move to Linux - I for one intend to. Sure, the numbers may still be small but they're growing.

Besides, just because MS might stop 'supporting' XP doesn't mean it won't work. I haven't downloaded a security update of any sort for that last year and a half without any problems. Even if Linux pisses me off so much I can't use it (which I doubt), I'm not too worried about being able to use XP for quite some time.

I realize that people need a place to vent, and this is a great place to vent. I didn't start using XP till late '03 early '04. I was quite happy with Win2K and all of my DAW software ran great. I hadn't done an update in I don't know how long, but because of the "Cycle of Economics" I was pretty much forced to move to XP. Why? Because all the developers of the plugins and software I was using moved on and dropped support for Win2K. It wasn't economically viable for them to further support "older versions" as they put it. Maybe I've felt the pain of "dropped support" a lil bit more than others and don't want to get bit again. Now I'm ranting in Angry's rant, this can't be good.

I'm glad we don't live in a "communist state" where we still have the freedom to make a choice. However "economically directed" it is.

An additional thought: Just be glad you weren't in pro audio when Apple and Avid descided to move to OSX from OS 9. Nothing worked. NOTHING. It was time to spend millions on updating Pro-Tools rigs industry wide. Talk about stick'n it to the consumer.

Are we all going to have to move to it at some point in time? Yes. Why? Because thats how consumerism and capitalism works. We are all just little tiny parts in the big "economic machine".

I'll install vista over my dead body.

I just wish M$ had a REAL competitor in the OS market. OSX and Linux just aren't there yet.

Depends on what you want to do with the OS. OSX is a perfectly viable OS depending what you want to do. I would never dream of running a $50K Pro-Tools rig on anything other than a Mac running OSX. Period. Windows blows for hosting the DAE and its hardware. Windows can barely get out of its own way in this situation let alone get out of the way so the DAE can do its thing. On the other hand, if the system was based on Steinberg's Cubase/Nuendo, a Mac is definetly out of the qestion. Both systems are capable of running on Mac/PC but each is clearly designed to run better on the end users chosen platform.

I can't really speak on linux as I'm not that patient to get much past an install. Although I will say I have installed it on everything from Apple Laptops to XBox Gen 1's.

I'll install vista over my dead body.

I use the term "we" loosely. Obviously there is a large population out there with the technical savy to continue life "Vista Free" for many years to come. This Vista box of mine is about to be enlisted as a PVR around here. One of the few reasons for me to continue use of Vista for something other than TV recording depends on Steinberg and its supporting vendors. If some future version of Nuendo is so groundbreaking and it has the accompaning hardware to get HD audio in and out and its only available in Vista x64, sign me up. Until then, this Vista box and a few XBox 360's are gonna make one sweet media network.