So you think you want to go Windows Vista huh? (part 2, Angry's rant)

Angry_Games

From Jim Louderback, PC Magazine Editor

The upshot is that even after nine months, Vista just ain't cutting it. I definitely gave Microsoft too much of a free pass on this operating system: I expected it to get the kinks worked out more quickly. Boy, was I fooled! If Microsoft can't get Vista working, I might just do the unthinkable: I might move to Linux.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2171472,00.asp

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea:), Vista 64 just last night came out with the drivers I needed to make my tv card work (pvr-150), the new sounds drivers (old via chipset-Realtec) actually work pretty decant. Still no drivers for my canon lid50 scanner (worked in 32 bit), as for gaming, most the games I play, work just fine on Vista 64 bit. Will I put Vista on the game box? NO (not yet):D, but it works great on the "non game box", as for work, its XP pro/Linux (Fedora Core 7) at home anyways......Linux:) 3-D desktop cube, and other goodies, still blow the Vista crap out of the water.....but I still kind of like Vista............Hate it or Love it.........I'm just glad there is something new to learn, and live with.............

:D

Is anyone running Vista on a similar setup as what is in my sig? I mean NF4 and all. I am trying to get it working so I can do some comparison of DX9 vs. DX10. But every time I install it I get random bluescreens and program crashes all over the place. Is there like a driver no-no list for the NF4 chipset or what? Vista runs fine on my HTPC that has an A8N SLI Deluxe (NF4). But it won't work on my main rig. I will be dual booting, but it would be nice to get this POS of an OS working. Oh I'm running Vista x32 Ultimate. And I have tried at stock speeds and with my current OC same outcome.

@krazypoloc

Since you've had no issues with another OS on the rig that would almost completely rule out a hardware issue so that's a good thing.

I've seen some "evaluation" versions of Vista just puke all over the place. As soon as a "shrink wrapped" version is installed all is well.

I haven't had any issues with Vista installs on my nF4 hardware but I haven't done a "permanent" install. Just set it up for testing without using my product key.

Yeah I have run every other OS under the sun, with no problems. But I'm still wiping last nights late night encounter off the floor.

It just doesn't make sense why it would run great on my Asus board, but poop all over my DFI.

Oh well maybe I'll try the x64 version and see if that is any better.

Thanks for the advice exroadie

• 2 weeks later...

x64 might be better, but from my own experience as well as reading for hours on the net...x64 of either Vista or XP is much much worse

oh, when they run, they really can't be beat

but they are usually beat-down by the fact that neither x64 OS runs worth a crap or is compatible with the hardware or some other odd nonsense that happens.

best is always to try for yourself however. I really liked XP-64 except for the fact that I can't print to my HP printer(s) with it, which made it a huge hassle to have to save a document (or copy/paste from an email) then drop it onto the server itself and then go over to the server and print it...no big deal really until every single day you have to do this about 10 times lol.

• 1 month later...

a) VISTA truley Sucks arse.....A G im your greatest fan...lol

B) Vista is nOT intended for a casual pc user..(more like a rocket scientist to get it running)

c) NAzistic feel to it pees me off...cant fart without having to press a continue botton...or the fact that i cant install anything Vista dont like....ITS MY OS FFS...i paided for it...whos gonna tell me what i can or cant install.

4) i think microshaft just went 180 degrees in the wrong direction.

5) not to fond of the "blackmale" being used to get ppl to go VISTA for frickin DX10

6) i thought americans had a saying that went...." If its Not Broke dont fix it"...

7) secuirity ??...lol what a joke it obvious that this sucker has so many holes that the only way to secure it was to LOCK IT UP IN A SAFE hwre even its user cant do sh!t.

8) my definition of Vista... Windows95 with A very cool desktop and graphics..

Thank you all...i feel much better..now.. ;)

@ Greekrage

The same exact type of things were said about XP when it was released in 2001.

XP didn't hit its stride until SP1 hit and you really shouldn't expect anything less from VISTA.

I'm testing SP1 for VISTA right now and it makes a huge difference.

@ Greekrage

The same exact type of things were said about XP when it was released in 2001.

XP didn't hit its stride until SP1 hit and you really shouldn't expect anything less from VISTA.

I'm testing SP1 for VISTA right now and it makes a huge difference.

Ummm...youre talking ...moving from win98 or god forbid..millenium..to win XP and that was a major move to a totaly different kernel.

Now moving from winXP 32bit/64bit... to Vista is obviously a waste as Vista dont really offer anything better...other than a cool desk top "supposed better secuirity (remains to be seen) and let us not forget DX10....

Yeah but moving to a new OS should be better shouldnt it ??Shouldnt it Support the latest harware that was "specificly" made for it ??

Do you know that i went and looked at the HARWARE COMPATIBILITY LIST (truely a joke) and found that XFX isnt on the list of graphics card companies??...explain that one ??

I mean a company goes and makes cards that are dedicated to VISTA and DX10 and they arent even on the frickin list !!!(looks like someone didnt pay up).

One more thing i noticed after reading 30 or 40 boards for a solution to my NO sli in vista problem...90% of the cases that cant SLI in vista are AMD boards.......

im curious...to see that sp1...whats it gonna be...about 1.5 gigs ??:rolleyes:

BTW how about you 'DON'T ASK FOR ILLEGAL LINKS' and maybe ill be nicer... ;)

LOL I see ReelFiles got to your post before I saw it.

Obviously there isn't gonna be a link to beta software that isn't for public consumption.

I can tell you that the final size of the SP1 package will be smaller than the current beta and it's well under a gigabyte right now.

The Vista kernel is completely new compared to the XP kernel which was derived from the kernels for Windows NT, Windows 2000 and Server 2000.

As far as hardware compatibility goes, each vendor is responsible for submitting their hardware to the compatibility labs for evaluation. If they don't, they are not on the list so blaming Microsoft and Vista for a vendors oversight is hardly logical.

An update to my late August post...

I've now run Vista on about 30 different motherboard and chipset combinations with nothing more than a few driver problems. It seems that the ATI chipsets are a bit behind the curve compared to AMD, VIA and Intel. So far the AMD and Intel chipsets have had the best support with just a couple if VIA devices causing problems.

I've installed Vista on both an AMD 590 chipset and AMD 680i chipset board with SLI enabled and functioning properly. I didn't have to jump through hoops or keep my fingers crossed. I haven't tried it on an nF4 board but that's kinda old hardware so I probably won't even attempt it.

LOL I see ReelFiles got to your post before I saw it.

Obviously there isn't gonna be a link to beta software that isn't for public consumption.

I can tell you that the final size of the SP1 package will be smaller than the current beta and it's well under a gigabyte right now.

The Vista kernel is completely new compared to the XP kernel which was derived from the kernels for Windows NT, Windows 2000 and Server 2000.

As far as hardware compatibility goes, each vendor is responsible for submitting their hardware to the compatibility labs for evaluation. If they don't, they are not on the list so blaming Microsoft and Vista for a vendors oversight is hardly logical.

An update to my late August post...

I've now run Vista on about 30 different motherboard and chipset combinations with nothing more than a few driver problems. It seems that the ATI chipsets are a bit behind the curve compared to AMD, VIA and Intel. So far the AMD and Intel chipsets have had the best support with just a couple if VIA devices causing problems.

I've installed Vista on both an AMD 590 chipset and AMD 680i chipset board with SLI enabled and functioning properly. I didn't have to jump through hoops or keep my fingers crossed. I haven't tried it on an nF4 board but that's kinda old hardware so I probably won't even attempt it.

First of all...i was being sarcastic about wanting a link...it was pretty obvious...i dont see why it was edited...

Second...DUDE YOURE ON A NF4 board arent you ??.....

Heres a new one about NF4s and Vista...

Today while hunting down info about WHY i have one vga card with the error 12 in device manager (which by the way doesnt TELL me what the conflict is)..i also discovered another thing not working but it was hidden in system devices

And it was the nvidia nforce pci management.

So i fired up google and....phew......landslide of links to ppl with the same problem.(offcourse...without solutions)..

So basicly youre saying that DFI can throw the whole frickin lanparty line (NF4s)out the window??...because vista aint gonna support them?

Its what?...2 to 3 years old and that makes it ancient ??

So all those ppl that want sli have to spend about 600 to 700 bucks(mobo cpu and ram) to get into the program??

This royaly SUCKS.....

So basicly my solution to my SLI problem in vista is..........................UNINSTALL VISTA !!!!.....

But honestly what i dont get is...why the hell does my system work fine in winXP 32 and 64bit...and not vista ??why is it the chipsets fault all of a sudden (mind you this is the question that allmost every average Joe is gonna ask........so microshaft better have a good excuse)....

Im kicking myself for going out and paying for a couple of DX10 cards and a frickin PSU to support them only to find out that my whole frickin system needs to be changed.

Then you have that idiotic app that tells you that your system is great for VISTA....only to get sucked into bying the OS......lol paying to be a beta tester.......

No wonder Dell went ballistic....im sure more will follow......then lets see how DX10 becomes available to XP....

So basicly youre saying that DFI can throw the whole frickin lanparty line (NF4s)out the window??...because vista aint gonna support them?

Its what?...2 to 3 years old and that makes it ancient ??

So all those ppl that want sli have to spend about 600 to 700 bucks(mobo cpu and ram) to get into the program??

This royaly SUCKS.....

This is something I can agree on, not because I still have one NF4 system running, but because the whole argument about old hardware is flawed. I don't think ExRoadie was defending MS, though expressing what must be MS point of view: Vista isn't designed to work but on a limited fairly new hardware. Can Nvidia with new NF4 chipset drivers improve anything? I don't know, and since XP might be the last MS operating system I privately own, I don't think about it much, except when dealing with customers having issues with Vista.

OK, MS changed kernel, so what? Changing kernel designs isn't something unique, and we can't possibly know whether this excuse even is valid, since no-one outside MS have access to check how "revolutionary" it is. Actually it isn't revolutionary, because it's more or less a modified 2000 and XP kernel, with the main difference being that many drivers in Vista run in user mode, and not kernel mode. What you get is a mishmash, which is supposed to support applications made for previous Windows versions, but allegedly tighten up security. In other words: MS didn't have the balls to be revolutionary (probably an example of why money has its limits in encourage developments of new inventions; for MS it sometimes is a pitfall making them hesitate to make progress, at least in my view).

A positive note though: my experience is that MS finally have made a promising move to 64bit.

For a full fletched multimedia experience the industry expect users to view all devices without hardware support for new implementations of DRM or similar functions as old, very old and outdated. So in this aspect 2 or 3 years isn't old, it's like you write "ancient".

I'm "blessed" not being a gamer!