So you think you want to go Windows Vista huh? (part 2, Angry's rant)

Angry_Games

considering i just got a new monitor, and have a new butt video card 7800gt,audigy2.

And couldnt use this new stuff with certain movies, music, etc. WTF IS THAT

i really like linux and support how its open source and directed to the users only pretty much.... i just wish i can get this raid setup on it without having to read some 23 page guide i found. Dont have time to learn linux yet ; /

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's funny. Everytime something is released. Someone has to . on it. Its been that way for every single OS out there. This one is no different. You just know after a couple months most gamers are going to be running VISTA. Has anyone seen any DX10 games videos or screenshots. Sure Gears of War looks good but Far Cry and Crysis look better. Its the way of the PC world. In with the new and out with the old. Also, why would Carmack endorse DX10? To cut his own throat? Common man, Vista performance is better then I thought it was going to be. Don't knock it till you try it. Remember, as with any new software, there will be bugs, so try to be a little understanding and have some patience.

Peace out.

I seriously doubt that in a few months most gamers will be using Vista.

Those issues aren't even the tip of the iceberg for me... the inbuild DRM is a joke to me. The RIAA, and MPAA's initiatives to destroy fair use are a joke to me, as the MPAA/RIAA are themselves. They're well funded, politically backed jokes.. but jokes nonetheless, and the fact that microsoft bent over and put DRM in their operating system because of those butt-backwards schmucks tells me a lot.

Linux wants to compete??? How about stop making it an uber-dork OS that no one but true geeks who are still virgins can understand.

Linux is so great? Then how come the average idiot like me and 99% or more of you can hardly do anything in it once it is installed (and remember, installing in linux is not double-clicking an exe...its more like typing out this 90 character command line and hoping you didn't put a hyphen in the wrong place).

I don't think most linux distros in itself was made with the intention of competing with windows. Some are - the ones that do are the ones that suck(RPMcentric distros, ubuntu, etc). They're the ones where you have to install an RPM to install dependencies to install dependencies of dependencies.. "easy" linux is more of a pain in the butt than anything. Ubuntu is just plain awful, stuff I installed in minutes on gentoo and slackware took tons of time with ubuntu due to all the crap it was missing from the get go. The good distros like slackware, gentoo, and debian, you customize yourself, you set things up yourself.

I think that's what linux was meant for. Trying to make linux like windows is like trying to use a headphone as a microphone and wondering why you never get the exact same sound.

I use windows on my desktop because I got sick of dicking around with linux, and it does what I want it to do better. Maybe not better, but easier, and easier is better. But linux does have its uses. It's far more versatile(not to mention LEGALLY FREE) for my fileserver/folding/httpd/router/other crap box. It does what windows would do worse, and costs $200 less. There's so many more choices for certain kinds of software, IMO, for linux, and if you're using command line only it only gets better. Linux is much more versatile over command line(IMO) than windows ,and VNC is just slow and annoying at times. Setting up a linux routerbox with vnstat and mrtg(all free) to monitor bandwidth use and transfer totals and all sorts of stuff was far easier than windows for me.

If you really do want it to be easy as all possible, take the time to configure portage the way you like.. and double clicking an exe will be even harder. emerge lighttpd is cool because I don't even have to do the google search and click a file, it does the download + the install for me.

Thanks for taking the time to write that Angry....I really enjoyed it = )

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

It's funny. Everytime something is released. Someone has to . on it. Its been that way for every single OS out there. This one is no different. You just know after a couple months most gamers are going to be running VISTA. Has anyone seen any DX10 games videos or screenshots. Sure Gears of War looks good but Far Cry and Crysis look better. Its the way of the PC world. In with the new and out with the old. Also, why would Carmack endorse DX10? To cut his own throat? Common man, Vista performance is better then I thought it was going to be. Don't knock it till you try it. Remember, as with any new software, there will be bugs, so try to be a little understanding and have some patience.

Peace out.

already tried it

multiple times

for months and months

it sucks

as for yoru Carmack comment...it doesn't make any sense at all.

As for your Vista performance is better than you thought...yeah, but it still sucks compared to XP.

We have understanding

We have patience

if you read anything about Vista, you'd know we are complaining about more than just performance. Do yourself a favor and go read on why Vista is not a worthy OS (because i'm not the only one ranting about it)

There is no "in with the new" with Vista.

It's not a step ahead, it's a step behind. DRM balances out any benefit of DX10. The second the OS takes control out of my hands, it loses its worthiness - its usefulness, and its place on my computer.

The fact that it takes over 620 MB of RAM doing nothing after bootup makes me sick. Why should I need 1 gig of ram to web browse and check email? Because microsoft says so? Eff that.

The pricing is what pisses me off.

if it was $60 to $100 for ultimate, I might be able to swallow the price of...I can't call it "upgrading", lets just say "grading", to Vista is outrageous.

Are these still correct?

Full Version

•Vista Ultimate: $399

•Vista Business: $299

•Vista Home Premium: $239

•Vista Home Basic: $199

Upgrade

•Vista Ultimate: $259

•Vista Business: $199

•Vista Home Premium: $159

•Vista Home Basic: $99

Please.

The basic versions are insulting to any person that uses the computer for more than emailing grandma.

TWO HUNDRED for a FULL version of BASIC.

No way. Not this year, not next.

Thasp you're really oversimplifying Linux setups. There is just no way the average user will find setting up ANY Linux distribution easier than to set up Windows, whether it be for file sharing, as a router or whatever. I remember having to edit fstab just to get my USB drive to automount with certain distros. That should be one of the basic functions an OS should be able to do "out of the box". I'd rather run Mac OS on my PC than Linux as my main OS, if I had to chose between the two, and I've done it before.

Taowulf those are the current retail prices AFAIK, with deals to be found with bundled hardware or software on Newegg, for example.

I'm kinda wondering where some of you are getting these insane RAM figures at boot-up. I did a fresh install of Vista Home Premium last night and it only ate up about 300MB of my 1GB installed RAM. What gives? What are you guys doing different that I'm not?

I'm kinda wondering where some of you are getting these insane RAM figures at boot-up. I did a fresh install of Vista Home Premium last night and it only ate up about 300MB of my 1GB installed RAM. What gives? What are you guys doing different that I'm not?

What kind of pagefile are you seeing? Vista might decide to use a large one if it only sees a gig of ram.

Also, why would Carmack endorse DX10? To cut his own throat?

This is one heck of an endordement. lol

Carmack then said that he’s quite satisfied with Windows XP, going as far to say that Microsoft is ‘artificially’ forcing gamers to move to Windows Vista for DX10.
They’re really grasping at straws for reasons to upgrade the operating system. I suspect I could run XP for a great many more years without having a problem with it,” he said.

The complete article.

http://www.dailytech.com/John+Carmack+Spea...article5665.htm