Lapping my Core 2 Duo with pictures

Smoken Joe

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it important the entire IHS be entirely flat, or just where the core is? I'm sure it'll help a little if it's flat all the way across, but if there are divots around the edges I wouldn't think it would cause a problem.

It's best for the IHS to be perfectly flat. If the edges are higher than the center (i.e. concave), cooling won't be as effective. If the IHS is slightly convex it wouldn't be as big an issue; however the HS won't seat as well as when the IHS is flat.

It's worth it. I used 200, 400, 800, 1000, and a microfibre cloth on one of my E6600's, it helped alot. I used a mirror as my surface, it was easy to find!

You want to do a good job, get lots of surface off with the lower grit papers, because any material you remove helps allow the heat to transfer more quickly. When you're done it should be copper right to the sides, and finish it by doing the 4 edges at 45* angle, to prevent a high corner or edge.

• 2 months later...

After reading this thread a couple of months ago I decided to lap my E6600's IHS. I did it in much the same way going down through the grades finishing with some metal polish to get a real nice can do your hair in it shine on the CPU.

My IHS was clearly concaved when I used a metal engineers rule to check it & once I finished lapping & polishing it dropped my load temps dramatically & I was really happy with the results which really justified me doing it.

Just recently I heard someone mention that the mega serious overclockers that still retain the IHS actually lap there IHS in a CPU socket because the action of doing up the retention clip distorts the IHS.

I also heard rather than lapping in a socket some remove the CPU clamp mechanism & just rely on the CPU mounting to hold the CPU in place & therefore avoiding the clip distortion problem all together.

When I remove my heatsink I can see there has been perfect contact between the heatsink & IHS just by looking at the thermal compounds distribution over the 2 surfaces.

I think the above method may have been primarily aimed at CPU's with pins on them rather than the socket 775 CPU's with the pins on the board but I just thought I would share this with everyone & see if anyone else has heard of this just purely out of interest really.

Regards

Craig.

I think the above method may have been primarily aimed at CPU's with pins on them rather than the socket 775 CPU's with the pins on the board but I just thought I would share this with everyone & see if anyone else has heard of this just purely out of interest really.

Actually, it's the other way around. This distortion was only noticed on LGA775 chips.

Actually, it's the other way around. This distortion was only noticed on LGA775 chips.

Are we on about the same distortion here when I said "I think the above method may have been primarily aimed at CPU's with pins on them rather than the socket 775 CPU's with the pins on the board" I was referring to the distortion on the IHS as a result of doing up the CPU retention clip/clamp rather than the concaved IHS common with C2D.

I can in my mind see how the pin CPU type clamps that push all the pins to one side of the socket as they clamp up would theoretically ripple/distort the IHS but the pin less 775 CPU's are just pushed straight down from the top shouldn't distort in the same way imo.

I am beginning to think someone was on a wind up when they posted the CPU clamp distortion information as I cant find anything to prove or back it up.

Reagrds

Craig :)

The clamping force on the two sides of the processor introduces a slight crown to the IHS.

From a machining viewpoint lapping the processor clamped in the socket is the only proper way for it to be done. Regardless of the component, attempting to get something flat in it's unstressed state isn't going to work.

This is the reason the Fuzion water block should never be lapped. The base is not flat from the factory. But when torqued properly becomes flat.

With this being said, I doubt anyone is going to notice any difference between free hand and stress mounted lapping unless after a WR. The difference is going to be so minimal that for 24/7 use the TIM is going to do it's designed job just fine.

The clamping force on the two sides of the processor introduces a slight crown to the IHS.

From a machining viewpoint lapping the processor clamped in the socket is the only proper way for it to be done. Regardless of the component, attempting to get something flat in it's unstressed state isn't going to work.

This is the reason the Fuzion water block should never be lapped. The base is not flat from the factory. But when torqued properly becomes flat.

With this being said, I doubt anyone is going to notice any difference between free hand and stress mounted lapping unless after a WR. The difference is going to be so minimal that for 24/7 use the TIM is going to do it's designed job just fine.

Put that way I see what General Septem is referring to when he said "

Actually, it's the other way around. This distortion was only noticed on LGA775 chips"

I can also see the point of machining in its stressed state as its the same process I have done many times boaring a cylinder block with a stress plate simulating a cylinder head.

I didn't think the process would make any real measurable difference to me & my 24/7 overclock I just wanted to share what I found to be interesting with others.

Regards

Craig.