• I'll upgrade as soon as SP1 arrives
    • I'll upgrade when I feel the need to do so
    • I've already got Vista pre-ordered

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest caffeinejunkie
P2P has definitely not helped music sales. I know much more people that DL stuff instead of paying for it.

I think the keyword in all of these last few statements is "know". These are people we know and since all of us have some stake in gaming, overclocking, hardware, ect.. We probably know a decent amount of people either into the same things or computer savvy enough to be above the norm. What most of you don't think of when making these statements is that the 80% of America that should legally be banned from all electronics does not know how to download songs let alone turn on their computer. All Im saying is Id say those who purchase legally out number those who download.

What skews this is that your average person might buy a cd a week while your average pirate could be downloading thousands of songs every week if not everyday.

haha well, not that Im some major haxor... I will be waiting very patiently for someone that is.

Why?

Why bother with Vista even if it had all it's DRM removed?

It is still bloated and it will still run all your games and apps slower.

Tomshardware posted some test results this week showing just how much slower things run in Vista vrs XP...and none of the games or apps tested had any of the new DRM encoded protection.

PROTECTED software will take alot longer to even load let alone run.

On the first page I said "Vista is for people who don't know better".

It is still that way and no patchs or "hacks" will ever change it.

i been using the vista ultimate 64 bit -- for a few months -

its not that great - things dont work - drivers are not there-

my Sata drives dont run in Sata - but in ATA only - i updated the drivers but nothing - its a nice look - smoother etc. - but i couldnt get my Phone tools working good -

i restored back to xp and it runs much better actually -

i am staying with Xp and vista images also - i may go back and forth for a while and keep them both updated -plus

i had 30 days on the vista -- but - if you restore back before the 30 days - it starts over again with 30 new days :)

xp pro for now -

you forgot an option like "I'll leave XP when they pry my cold, dead hands from it"

My personal take is that MS has absolutely no need to release a new OS, except for money. There is absolutely nothing new in Vista that we need.

Instead of all the resources on Vista, they should have put a lot towards XP-64, and maybe enchancing regular XP even more, if possible. If MS put resources into XP-64, this would force software makers across all genres to start really getting serious about 64-bit.

Instead, they spent all of their time on a new, horribly bloated OS that is very picky about the current (ie today's) software that it will run, still pretty poor driver support, pretty bad gaming performance compared to what a nice XP machine can do (partially because of the software being optimized for XP, partially because XP doesn't boot to the desktop at 750MB RAM use). Worse, they seem to have put in an insane amount of time to implement this bull crap DRM scheme.

100% Agreed

I still want to check Vista out, but it will be a while before i have an 'extra' $250 to spend on it. Hopefully by then it will have improved. but im not holding my breath.

I have been doing some thinking -- oh, no, look at the smoke.

I am using Ubuntu Edgy Eft 6.10 (Linux) and have been for about two weeks. One everning, when contemplating this exact question (XP vs. Vista), I came to a startling realization. If I were to purchase a console (maybe Wii; not XBOX), I could have my cake and eat it too.

The only reason that I have a M$ product is for gaming. With the console, I could play all of the games I like and use Linux on my computer. It would cut M$ out of my life forever!

This is still in the contemplating stages, but I am giving it some real thought.

Linux has a program that will duplicate any program for M$ and it is FREE! My download speeds are better using Swiftfox 2.0.0.1 (FF2 tweaked for Linux) in Ubuntu, than using FF2 in XP.

This old brain always gets me in trouble.

I will be waiting for a long time before I upgrade, I don't feel for myself it's time to move on something that is so new and doesn't have all the support in the world.

Does any one feel it was rushed out? Or is it just me...... I'm lost