Upgrade to Vista or stick with XP?

Guest r3d c0m3t_merged

128 members have voted

1. 1.

• I'll upgrade when Vista has some decent software
    • I'll upgrade as soon as SP1 arrives
    • I'll upgrade when I feel the need to do so
    • I've already got Vista pre-ordered

I'll do the same thing I did when I went from 98 to XP...I'm going to wait until I have a valid reason to, bugs are fixed, I get better peformance instead of just a new GUI, I can control my own digital media instead of having the RIAA/MPAA tell me what I can and can't do...etc. Vista has a LONG way to go for me to step up to it.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I tried to install Vista just to check it out and I can't get the damn thing installed on a NF4 Nvidia Raid 0 setup.

What a piece of shi* if it can't even install on a Raid array.

I say stick with WinXP as this was released way to soon and will probably take until SP2 to get out most of the bugs.

Tmod

Right now I am ok with where I am at....why mess with what I have if it is working. Plus if I need to get a vista fix, I can go to my gf's house and user her roomies computer. just got a new lappy from best buy with vista on it. I am kinda excited to see it.....

i am running a vista system

and i have to admit its not all that grate

it has some cool featchers i will give it that

as for stablity its not got it i am running it on a 2.8ghz p4 and 1gb ram

the ram usage stays at about 25% to 50% when just doing simple tasks

and the cpu is used up so easly.

and if you want to play a game i would say no chance yet to many problems for that

and it does work in raid as long as wehn u install it you install all the motherbored sata and what ever else drivers

I say stick with WinXP as this was released way to soon and will probably take until SP2 to get out most of the bugs.

Tmod

Very true. I would say that the final Vista is more like the last of a serie release candidates.

Guest r3d c0m3t

It's going to take a lot for Vista to appeal to people like us, but for the rest of community (if they even like being called a "community.") they'll pick up Vista for the simple fact that it's new and offers certain extensions that XP cannnot. Maybe Vista will end up in the same closet and Blu-ray (resulting in Microsoft giving away free copies, just as Sony is giving away free Blu-ray discs.) and they'll have no other choice but to amend these problems.

Ultimately, whether we like it or not, I believe Vista's style lies in the hand of those who just want something that works, meaning isn't it natural for us to complain about something like this? Whereas if neutrals complain it'll probably mean that much more.

Whether or not Bill is implementing DRM for his own financial gain is speculative but I am sure there is plenty of influence from artists, record labels and all forms of media trying to make Bills decision a little easier.

It's the record labels and the movie studio's. Label artist's 9 times outta 10 are getting screwed by the label. If they want to make any "real" money they need to get their butt's out on tour with lots of merchandising. Napster created a sh!tstorm years ago with its p2p file sharing capabilities. Record labels have been trying to figure out how to combat piracy since then, but what they don't realize is that if they would start developing new acts for their roster, instead of putting out the same crap as the next label, we as consumers would be more inclined to go and buy a new cd full of quality content at a resonable price. Instead, the labels are looking for easy ways to recoup all the lost revenue from the last few years so they put out the same reworked crap over and over.

I work in a 6 room commercial facility where all we really do is label work. I support the concept of DRM as long as there is something worth protecting, but at this point, I really don't see anything worth leveraging such tight restrictions on the 1's and 0's.

Dunno...P2P has actually made people buy MORE music it seems. A lot of people I know will download a song or two and then go buy the album if it appeals to them. I think Vista will come around eventually and I would hope the DRM will get put back into check after Billy boy gets a few million complaints about it.