Naked CPU Users

THEnumber337

This is more out of curiosity about those who use naked CPUs. I ran across this link recently and I thought I'd present this to you all here and and see how it compares to you various naked cpu users in going about installing and using heatsinks over your processors. Feel free to explain the process you go through (if you wish) or perhaps just evaluating and commenting about your thoughts on the article. :)

I thought this would be the best place for the thread but if someone has a recommendation or suggestion for it to go elsewhere then I shall move it. :P

Seems like a somewhat uneducated review, though it may be translated from another language or something, so I mean no offense. The biggest problem I saw was that the IHS is made completely of copper, then a nickel plating over that to keep it from oxidizing.

First of all, many older cpu's were never designed with an IHS at all, so obviously it's possible (and okay) to use a heatsink on them.

Secondly, many have had great success in removing the IHS on 939 processors. Newer one (AM2 and Conroe) are soldered on, so there is a different (and much more dangerous) procedure to remove it. But for Socket 939, it's very simple and as long as you're careful there is not a lot of danger involved (Happy_Games made a good video of it).

You really should get a bolt-on cooler though, as it reduces the chance of loading one side of the core too much and cracking it, like with a spring loaded cooler.

I really like the idea of using tape as a shim, but it would never work on an A64. The A64s have too many ICs around the core.

The process is pretty simple for me. Right now I am using a 9500 on my naked 170 and it installs very easily - 2 bolts and it is done. I did add a washer on the center post underneath the clip to help make up for the lack of height and put more pressure on the cpu. Which will hopefully prevent the 9500 from settling with uneven pressure on the cpu.

When I had this chip under water, mounting was even easier... just tighten the bolts down and I'm done...

The temps I get without the IHS are definately better then with, most notably the Core Temps are much closer to what Smartguardian & MBM 5 report under load...

I don't think I have ever seen any shims for A64s, probably no real market for it...

Wouldnt the tape melt from the heat of the cpu? Doesnt seem like that good of an idea.

I don't think the tape would melt. I put electrical tape on my chip to cover the ICs to prevent anything (especially AS5) from getting on them and it has never approached a melting point.

I take three layers of black electrical tape in each corner. Just a small piece in each corner, and that have worked just great on my x2 3800+ :)

Thats a great idea :) I wish I had thought of it...

As for reattaching the IHS, it is possible, probably more trouble then it is worth though. I saw a tutorial on how to do it somewhere, can't remember where now... Could probably just google it.