Anyone lube their fans?

Yeah - i've ressurrected quite a few fans with a -little- motorbike chain-lube (the stuff that gets thicker after it's sprayed).

Usually just peel the sticker back that hides the shaft, -small- squirt, work the fan a little, clean off any excess, sticker back on, good to go.

Has helped shut up many rattly GPU/Chipset fans :)

The things that came into my head when I read this made me laugh, but would probably get me banned for life.

No, but I do clean them once in a while. ;)

This post did likewise. :D

The only time I can see lubricatling a fan is when it's a sleeve bearing. Ball bearing and fluid dynamic bearings are usually sealed, to the best of my knowledge. Maybe just a little something to reduce the friction points but that's it.

The big thing is cleaning all the damn hair out of the fans, at least in my case. :D

Back in my Abit days I always had to put a dab of lube on the bearing for the chipset fan.

It is a sleeve bearing and they always dry up and stop working.

Tmod

You said lube.

I clean the dust out.

Hey did you know LED fans are lit using the power of the fan motor moving. I know this because I took an air compressor to the fans to clean out the dust and the fan spun and the LED's lit up. Cool huh, maybe that's obvious to you guys though.

Actually I'm not so sure this is really the case. By spinning the blades manually you're actually sending a little bit of power through the lines because the motor acts like a generator.

Here's how it works, by putting an electrical current through a coil, you create an electromagnet which spins the fan which has magnets in it. If you spin the coil it works in reverse, creating an electrical current. Since the LEDs get their power from the same circuit as the fan motor, they are connected, so if you spin the blades manually and make a charge it'll go through the LEDs too.