Case is zapping me

catkicker

I recently put a computer togather for my wife see sig. The damm thing was giving me BSOD's and random restarts, switched out PSU's problem solved, atleast I thought It's back to random restarts no BSOD's it can be sitting idle and from across the room and notice it just restart.

Next issue when you touch the case it shocks you and the computer restarts at that moment. If the computer is off and you touch it or brush agansit it you get shocked and it powers up.

I used all the standoffs for the MB and the PSU appears to be installed correctly.

as far as the shock. What else should I look for that could be the cause of that. I need to elimanate the electrical shock first to see if that solves the random restarts.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What do you mean? explain please.

If you remove the power plug leading from the wall to the power supply, it should have three prongs on one end (the one into the wall) and three holes at the other end (where it goes into the PSU). The round one at the bottom of it all is the pin that grounds your computer.

I had the same problem with my last build. I didn't have the reboots but I got a hell of a good zap when I touched the case never could figure it out.

Warning!! the following procedures presume you know how to operate a multimeter correctly and observe safety precautions!! It's your life!!

If you are receiving a shock when you touch the case... then between the power leads and the computer case there is continuity or the ground of your room power receptacle is faulty.

First, check the ground in your room power receptacle (rounded hole..straight slots are power and neutral) Meter in AC volts position...one lead to ground (rounded hole in power receptacle) the other to one power lead and then the other.. you should read 0 volts or a maximum of a couple of millivolts.. If you don't...your receptacle does not have a proper ground.!! Call an electrician and do not use the power receptacle.

If the power receptacle is okay..next step

Something that provides AC or DC power in your computer system is grounding to your case. Not good and dangerous to you and your computer system's health!!

Visually inspect your build for bare wires touching standoffs or case.

With the Power supply unplugged from wall power use a meter and check w/ meter in Ohms (Ω) position take one lead and put it to the case (on bare metal) then take the other lead and put it first on one of the wall plug leads (not the rounded one.. it is ground) and then the other... if you read near zero( very low reading) resistance on either lead you have assured yourself that the case is grounded to the power supply.

That can be either through the power supply or the motherboard. Unplug all power plugs from the motherboard. Perform the same test. If you still read continuity (near zero resistance) you know that the ground is internal and in your power supply. Replace it before turning on your computer again.

If after the last test you do not read continuity you must again carefully visually inspect you motherboard connectors and ensure that all standoffs are tight and that there are no bare wires on the power connectors touching the motherboard or the case...Your life and your computer system's life will depend on your making a careful inspection and performing the tests correctly..

does you PSU have to be grounded to a standoff (mine does)

My PSU OCZ Modstream 520 Watt does not have to be grounded to a standoff. What color wire did you use to ground it to the standoff?

If it was not green then it was not a ground..Please don't tell me it was black or white or red.

My PSU OCZ Modstream 520 Watt does not have to be grounded to a standoff. What color wire did you use to ground it to the standoff?

If it was not green then it was not a ground..Please don't tell me it was black or white or red.

it was a black wire with a terminal thing on the end that the manual said to screw onto a standoff