Case is zapping me

catkicker

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if the PC is off and you get a shock and it fires the pc up from a off posistion...either you got some weird case wiring going on or you have a short at the outlet...

If you have a device (tv, radio or anything using electric) thats shorting it can backfeed the ground wire sending a fair amount of current to ground...

As noted test the outlet...you can use an elcheapo test light but a multi-meter works best...

if you are gettting current on the ground to hot you have a backfeed...if you have current from ground to neutral you have a broken wire causing the backfeed...

On most normal household systems you have 3 wires on a outlet...black wire = hot (live) and white wire = neutral (common) and a bare copper wire = ground...

Now in most household the neutral wire (white) and the bare copper wire (ground) hook to the same bar on the fuse panel... which can easily backfeed current in a short...

Some homes have a split grounding system and the ground wire hooks to a seperate bar...

Make sure you have the pc plugged into a surge supressor and not just a distribution block... post back...

it was a black wire with a terminal thing on the end that the manual said to screw onto a standoff

Have you done a complete visual inspection of your build?

Are you using a Multimeter?

Have you checked everything that I asked you to check?

If you have.. with the psu unplugged from the wall socket unscrew that black wire and use the meter and isolate it from everything then test it using the meter to see if it is a ground. With meter in ohms position place one lead to the wire and the other lead to bare metal on the PSU case. If you do not read low resistance then it is not a ground and probably is a power lead. Black wire for ground is not UL standard for power devices.

You are making this very difficult by not answering all questions that are asked by forum members. Answer up..or go find yourself an electrician or electronics tech to troubleshoot this for you if you do not feel competent enough in basic electrical knowledge and safety to do it yourself.

Damn, I take it you don't want it to shock you... I figured you did it as one of your... "mods" :shake:

And I'm thinking that is why Sparky is part of his user name. LMOA

this might be a longshot, but try using a diff wall socket. had a similar prob. i could feel a charge running thru the interior frame of my case. wasn't really a shock, just a sensation of electricity, tingle like. it's gone now after changing. seems it was a bad wall socket. probably inporperly wired; no ground

If possible; have an outlet installed (for your PC) that is on a dedicated breaker, this will eliminate the possibility of "crosstalk" with other devices on the same circuit.

Also, please post the results from the tests suggested by erico as they will greatly assist in isolating the problem.

Warning!! the following procedures presume you know how to operate a multimeter correctly and observe safety precautions!! It's your life!!

If you are receiving a shock when you touch the case... then between the power leads and the computer case there is continuity or the ground of your room power receptacle is faulty.

First' date=' check the ground in your room power receptacle (rounded hole..straight slots are power and neutral) Meter in AC volts position...one lead to ground (rounded hole in power receptacle) the other to one power lead and then the other.. you should read 0 volts or a maximum of a couple of millivolts.. If you don't...your receptacle does not have a proper ground.!! Call an electrician and do not use the power receptacle.[/quote']

I have a multimeter... Heres what I get when I do the above test

If the power receptacle is okay..next step

Something that provides AC or DC power in your computer system is grounding to your case. Not good and dangerous to you and your computer system's health!!

Visually inspect your build for bare wires touching standoffs or case.

I pulled all componets EXCEPT MB. I inspected everything, it all looks fine.

With the Power supply unplugged from wall power use a meter and check w/ meter in Ohms (Ω) position take one lead and put it to the case (on bare metal) then take the other lead and put it first on one of the wall plug leads (not the rounded one.. it is ground) and then the other... if you read near zero( very low reading) resistance on either lead you have assured yourself that the case is grounded to the power supply.

Performed the above test and the meter readout .244 and my MM's buzzer went off the directions say that buzzer indicates resistance less then or about 50(Ω)

That can be either through the power supply or the motherboard. Unplug all power plugs from the motherboard. Perform the same test. If you still read continuity (near zero resistance) you know that the ground is internal and in your power supply. Replace it before turning on your computer again.

If after the last test you do not read continuity you must again carefully visually inspect you motherboard connectors and ensure that all standoffs are tight and that there are no bare wires on the power connectors touching the motherboard or the case...Your life and your computer system's life will depend on your making a careful inspection and performing the tests correctly..

I'm far from good at the operation of a MM. and the directions that come with it are lacking, so I did the best I could.

this might be a longshot, but try using a diff wall socket. had a similar prob. i could feel a charge running thru the interior frame of my case. wasn't really a shock, just a sensation of electricity, tingle like. it's gone now after changing. seems it was a bad wall socket. probably inporperly wired; no ground

that was electricity you felt not a good or safe thing.. Risky proposition for you.

I have a multimeter... Heres what I get when I do the above test

If the power receptacle is okay..next step

Something that provides AC or DC power in your computer system is grounding to your case. Not good and dangerous to you and your computer system's health!!

Visually inspect your build for bare wires touching standoffs or case.

I pulled all componets EXCEPT MB. I inspected everything' date=' it all looks fine.[/b']

With the Power supply unplugged from wall power use a meter and check w/ meter in Ohms (Ω) position take one lead and put it to the case (on bare metal) then take the other lead and put it first on one of the wall plug leads (not the rounded one.. it is ground) and then the other... if you read near zero( very low reading) resistance on either lead you have assured yourself that the case is grounded to the power supply.

Performed the above test and the meter readout .244 and my MM's buzzer went off the directions say that buzzer indicates resistance less then or about 50(Ω)

That can be either through the power supply or the motherboard. Unplug all power plugs from the motherboard. Perform the same test. If you still read continuity (near zero resistance) you know that the ground is internal and in your power supply. Replace it before turning on your computer again.

If after the last test you do not read continuity you must again carefully visually inspect you motherboard connectors and ensure that all standoffs are tight and that there are no bare wires on the power connectors touching the motherboard or the case...Your life and your computer system's life will depend on your making a careful inspection and performing the tests correctly..

I'm far from good at the operation of a MM. and the directions that come with it are lacking, so I did the best I could.

Your case is grounded through the power supply (based on the resistance readings you took).. It is best that you replace your PSU with another one and RMA the original one You can perform the next test but it will just confirm the results of your meter readings ... disconnect the lead that the PSU instructions said to connect to a standoff...put the screw back in the standoff... wrap the terminal with some electrical tape to insulate it from everything.. then plug your PSU power connector back into wall socket... Your wall socket is okay... judging from your description of the meter readings .. turn on your system ( this is because I don't want to describe the "hot" test that I would do with the meter and the black lead... this is safer for you) and please post the results here in the thread. :) If it works well now.. your PSU is internally grounded or miswired from the manufacturer.

By the way... what is your computer system sitting on? Bare concrete / carpet / a desk? and have you closely inspected the power wire connection that goes to your PSU for frayed wires as well?