Pretty obvious for us DIY builders

Guest r3d c0m3t_merged

64 members have voted

1. 1.

• Video Game Consoles - (i.e. X360, PS3, Wii...etc)
    • PC

Guest r3d c0m3t

I'd have to go with my PC, of course. I underwent hours of perfecting my lil' pride and joy over here and I can honestly say that I put it together and it's mine, any errors that occur are due to my own doing and I like the idea of servicing my own PC. I do own an Xbox 360 as well, but the visuals just aren't as pretty as my PC could potentially handle. The 360 has it's power and whatever, but most of it is uneventful because PC's or rather PC games have yet to even benefit from tri/dual-core procs.

Oh and did I mention my PC pwnz the 360? :angel:

I voted PC but I'd like to add a caveat.

Whatever the limitations of console games, when you plug them in...they play.

Very nearly every PC game I've ever installed has required at least some troubleshooting, patching, tweaking, drivers etc. to get it to run right (HL2 Episode 1 being the latest grrr).

Games for Windows is supposed to address this and I for one sure hope it works.

I don't even own a console; Additionally, based upon "testing" in Wal-Mart I've fond that I have better control (in racing games) with the keyboard than on a gamepad. I do use a joystick for FS but otherwise I use the KB

Two different creatures.

Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory sucks on my Xbox. The graphics are terrible compared to a PC (NTSC vs 1280x1024x32), and the controls are wretched. I would have bought and played it months ago on my PC if it hadn't been for StarForce (I don't condone piracy, but copy protection that hoses my computer is unacceptable). For the most part, if I want to play a game by myself, the PC gives me better graphics and control.

But what if I want to play games head-to-head with my friend? I could take my computer over there, but this U2 case is huge. Also, his computers are good enough to run Office, a web browser, Party Poker, and email clients, and that's about it. So finding a game that his computer could run, and buying two copies of said game, and hauling my case over there, and hauling it back when I'm done are all required to pull that off.

Enter the Xbox. It, the controllers, cables, and games all fit nicely into my rolling duffle bag. I only have to buy one copy of a game for both of us (or even up to 4 of us) to play it. After Christmas when he gets an Xbox of his own, I can just take the game over there and I know that it will work on his Xbox exactly the same way that it works on my own. I don't have to rearrange furniture at his house or otherwise find a way to incorporate an extra computer into a room; there's already a room centered around a TV. We can sit on his comfy couch with built-in recliners, and have TV trays on the side with tasty beverages. We see no reason to go to bars anymore, since booze is cheaper when you buy it in the liquor store, his house is smoke free, you can actually carry on a conversation without loud music/bad karaoke overpowering you, and Tiger Woods' PGA Tour makes a reasonable substitute for Golden Tee Live.

So, for solo gaming (particularly with shooters and RTS'es), PCs seem superior. For social gaming, consoles are superior.