Then and now

catkicker

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Who knows, it worked for that gal that spilled coffe on herself at McDonalds...

Of course you know I was just kidding. Simply pointing out how because of someting I did, or didn't do, broke a rule, that I was supposed to be fully aware of, is somehow your fault for not protecting me from myself. It doesn't make sense to me at all, but more and more we see cases just like the McDonalds case... I spilt hot cofee on myself... I knew it was hot, I paid for hot coffee, but somehow that's your fault, and it's going to cost you big $$$$. How lame.

Many people don't realize that:

-The woman who spilled coffee on herself was not driving; her grandson was

-The car was not in motion when she spilled the coffee; they had stopped in the parking lot so she could put cream and sugar in it

-McDonald's had received complaints about the brewing temperature of their coffee being too hot (180F). At 155F it takes less than a second for a hot liquid to cause injury. At 180F it takes 2 to 7 seconds for a hot liquid to cause 3rd degree burns. Some say that McDonald's made the coffee so hot so that people can drive a long way and still have hot coffee, others say that the high temperature was to compensate for low quality coffee.

Does this make it McDonald's fault? I don't really know for sure, but I don't think she was unreasonably careless, despite that she is often potrayed as such by people unfamiliar with the facts of the case (mostly that she was trying to drive and deal with the coffee at the same time).

it's still as stupid as the girls suing McD's for making them fat...when they should have their fat asses kicked for not having any self control and STEPPING AWAY FROM THE CHEESEBURGE FATTY!!!

same as stupid people who order HOT COFFEE and then get burned...ITS FREAKING HOT COFFEE YOU STUPID MORON!!!!

goes all back to that whole "can't or won't take responsibility for your own actions" crap

my Algebra teacher in 9th grade told us a true story one time that has stuck in my mind since I heard it.

He and a friend were fooling around one day, and my teacher kept screwing with his buddy. Like poking him or punching him etc. The buddy told my teacher

"if you poke me one more time, I am going to stab you in the leg with this pencil"

my teacher kept on poking him, and the buddy stabbed my teacher right in the thigh with a #2 pencil.

I mean STABBED him deep.

my teacher...was he mad?

no.

he had been told "if you do that one more time, I am going to retaliate in this way against you"

did he run to the school office?

no

did he sue the buddy?

no

it's just amazing how brainless people are these days...as well as irresponsible, immature, etc.

Being a Junior in high school, everyday I witness people who choose to not take accountability for their actions.

This morning, I wasn't up for 10 seconds when I witnessed my first example!

I woke up at 7:30 (late) and needed to take a shower, brush my teeth, etc. and get to school by 8:10. My brother comes in my room (he's 11) and says, "David, can you look up the word apprehensive on Google for me, I need a definition for my English class." I say, "Yeah." He says, "Oh, and I need to you to find the definitions for 9 other words too!" Well, turns out the worksheet he got was given out on Monday and due Friday at 9:15. I told him I would have gladly helped him had he asked me the night before... but he choose to blame ME for his own problem... and now he's still mad at me.

Well, someday he'll learn. (not that I'm exempt, I'm sure I still do it, but I really try not to)

I honestly believe that DFI-Street has made me a better person. As odd/wrong as that might sound, it just has. I now follow the rules of life much more closely because I follow the rules here.

Always the way, though - there's always more to the situation then you're told. The 50's is far enough way that no-one remembers some things.

Yeah, was a little . as a kid - got in with certain people, had plenty of issues... broke into abandoned houses too.

Things will only go that way if you let them. There's a good bit of truth in catkicker's post, but a fair bit of cynicism as well.

Re the first example: "By my cold dead hand!" What about the people who report on these things, misrepresenting them?

From the sig of someone elsewhere (as far as I remember it):

It's only when you look at ants under a magnifying glass on a sunny day, that you realise how often they burst into flames. :D

Posted by zkissane:

Does this make it McDonald's fault? I don't really know for sure, but I don't think she was unreasonably careless, despite that she is often potrayed as such by people unfamiliar with the facts of the case (mostly that she was trying to drive and deal with the coffee at the same time).

Simple answer NO.....

People need to use their heads for something other than a hat-rack....PERIOD

When I was growing up the water hose temp. in the MILK house had to be 160-180 degrees at all times....(State requirement for Bacteria control).....I learned at a very young age just how hot that is.....NO lawsuits involved...:)

I honestly believe that DFI-Street has made me a better person. As odd/wrong as that might sound, it just has. I now follow the rules of life much more closely because I follow the rules here.

I didn't want to say that myself but since you said it, I do have to say it's true in my case as well. Maybe for different reasons, I mean I still don't follow rules... I'm more of an anarchist now than I was back in February (not that it has anything to do with the forum) but nevertheless, DFI-street has contributed in many ways to who I am today.

If Michael Richards had gone on his little tyrade back in the 50's, I mean even if racism wasn't already prevalent back then, just the mentality back then, he wouldn't have gotten kicked of the stage, he wouldn't have been sued. They just would have laughed at it. And in fact I don't think he was trying to be a racist. Maybe he was, but I think he was ore making a joke out of the whole racism scare.

When I first read this. I laughed and then shook my head and laughed some more Thats it. I posted this not to strike up a in depth debate about the current

state of this country. It's just meant to be read and laughed at. Nothing more.

So just relax and laugh a bit about the way it is and the way it was. This is still a pretty good country to live in, even with it's many faults.

When I first read this. I laughed and then shook my head and laughed some more Thats it. I posted this not to strike up a in depth debate about the current

state of this country. It's just meant to be read and laughed at. Nothing more.

So just relax and laugh a bit about the way it is and the way it was. This is still a pretty good country to live in, even with it's many faults.

oops ;)

I forgot to say it was pretty funny, but, not as funny as your nic!