DVD -RW or DVD +RW

wingspar

I’ve just ordered a VHS / DVD recorder for my TV to replace a 19 year old VCR. I’ve never even had a DVD in my computer, or used one anywhere at all. Ever. So, I know nothing about DVD media. I did some searching on the web, but didn’t really find many answers. Some quick reading on the media at the place I ordered from, and I decided to order a couple of DVD -RW disks to start with, as it sounded like the -RW media was more suited to video taping from a TV than the +RW media.

Which media do you guys use to record off your TV, and what is your reasoning?

don't get rw's unless you plan to reuse them constantly for movinf mass amounts of data or viewing a movie a few times then adding a different one to it.

and personaly phillips discs are some of my favs doesn't matter waht format depends on the player I use but I rarley get any dead discs from them.

I have to wonder why the advice against RW’s. Most of my taping off the TV is for stuff I can’t be around to watch, and once I’ve watched it, I record over it. That’s how I’ve used my VCR, tho I’ve kept a lot of stuff, most use is for watching, then recording over it. I’m hoping to use the DVD part of this recorder that way. If I can’t do that, then I’m not sure I even have a use for the DVD part of the unit.

I don’t really understand the difference between the - and + media, and all I’ve been able to find on the web is info that demands you know lots about the media already, and not for someone that needs a Dummies Guide to DVD Media.

I had some Philips CD-RW’s once, never had a problem with them. I ordered a couple of Sony DVD -RW’s with the unit just to get me started. (It’s a Sony unit, so I figured Sony DVD’s would be good starter material). Heck, for $2.69 each, not much lost if they don’t work out.

I have to wonder why the advice against RW’s. Most of my taping off the TV is for stuff I can’t be around to watch, and once I’ve watched it, I record over it. That’s how I’ve used my VCR, tho I’ve kept a lot of stuff, most use is for watching, then recording over it. I’m hoping to use the DVD part of this recorder that way. If I can’t do that, then I’m not sure I even have a use for the DVD part of the unit.

I don’t really understand the difference between the - and + media, and all I’ve been able to find on the web is info that demands you know lots about the media already, and not for someone that needs a Dummies Guide to DVD Media.

I had some Philips CD-RW’s once, never had a problem with them. I ordered a couple of Sony DVD -RW’s with the unit just to get me started. (It’s a Sony unit, so I figured Sony DVD’s would be good starter material). Heck, for $2.69 each, not much lost if they don’t work out.

your dvd/vcr combo unit records to dvd?

I've never tried RW's either.

But for regular recording, I like +R's. I recently completed transferring a boatload of movies from VHS EP to DVD's, which took 78 DVD's, and not one "coaster" using +R media!

RW's are thicker and heavier because they have to be written to multiple times, while +/- R disks do not (they only need written to a single time).

the thickness/heaviness of the RW disks can cause problems in certain players, and I've seen over time RW disks can ruin a drive (but this is rare, so don't panic on that part, I would imagine that your device is built for the heavier RW disks to record to repeatedly)

your dvd/vcr combo unit records to dvd?

Yes. This is the VCR / DVD unit I ordered. It is capable of recording to DVD, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW and VHS tapes. These duel recording units are quite common now. Here are a few from Newegg. They didn’t have what I wanted.

RW's are thicker and heavier because they have to be written to multiple times, while +/- R disks do not (they only need written to a single time).

the thickness/heaviness of the RW disks can cause problems in certain players, and I've seen over time RW disks can ruin a drive (but this is rare, so don't panic on that part, I would imagine that your device is built for the heavier RW disks to record to repeatedly)

Thanks for the explanation Happy. It helps. The unit I ordered says it’s capable of recording to DVD, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW, so I would hope it is capable of handling the thicker RW units. I have the NEC 3550A in my DFI rig, which is also supposed to have that capability. Tho I haven’t had a DVD in it yet, I have burned CD-RW’s in it.

I guess what I will do is order a couple of DVD +RW’s, and run some comparisons on a rainy day, but the explanation between -RW and +RW at the place I ordered them from pointed to the -RW as being better for video, so that’s the only reason I ordered a couple of -RW disks.

CrAsHnBuRnXp and Blooz1... Thanks for the input. I have always had frustrating experiences with CD-R disks, and have always used CD-RW disks, so will probably continue with RW's into my foray into the DVD world. I’ve always liked media I can write and rewrite to. I like to use them like an extended HDD. To be able to tape something I can’t be home to watch, then watch it later, then record over it is a capability I’ve been used to with VHS tapes, and am hoping to continue that with DVD’s, tho I may still use VHS tapes. I’ll probably spend a lot of time experimenting with tapes and DVD’s this winter.

Here are the two descriptions on the Sony DVD -RW and +RW disks from B&H where I bought my rig that I used to determine that I would start off with a couple of DVD -RW disks. Both the -RW and +RW are $2.25 each, so price had nothing to do with my choice. This was just the result of a super quick and dirty research on the -RW and +RW media I did at the time I bought the recorder. I figured I might as well order some media with the recorder so I have something to play with when it arrives. This is the only meditation I did on the -RW and +RW media, hence my questions in order to learn a little more.

DVD -RW: Archive, rewrite or duplicate up to 120 minutes of family videos, store office files, MP3s, digital photos or any other multimedia format in just minutes at speeds of up to 2x. Each disc can be rewritten hundreds of times to update information or archive more files from a hard drive. The DVD-RW discs can be easily and safely stored to avoid office clutter with the included jewel cases.

DVD +RW: The 4.7GB (120 Minutes) 4x DVD+RW Disc for storing all types of data and video content. Each disc holds 4.7GB of information, which is more than two hours of high quality MPEG2 DVD video with outstanding picture quality. They are the perfect mate for the Sony DVD+RW Drive, so now users can edit or create a movie on a PC and view it on most DVD players.

I have a stack of +R's from Office Depot and I can't get my burner to write to them. I upgraded to the latest firmware and no luck. Lite-On says it does write to +R, so I guess it's the media itself?

There is not much between + and -R with newer kit but with older stuff -R does work with more drives, there is 'bit setting', but everything points this to work in even less drives than normal +R/RW disk. The error correction (ECC) on +R is better, but not by much, so if your working with data on a drive that can use +R/RW then do. I have no problems using DVD RW's to watch and wipe on my DVD players, just use good quality ones, and IMO they are the perfect media.

The best advice is to use good media. Verbatim are almost the best money can buy and can be got easy, TY or Taiyo Yuden were without doubt the best, but IMO (and others) they have started to be pushed from the top by Verbatim, in my last 6 months worth of tests my MCC 004 (DVD+R) 16x Verbs are as good if not better than the same TY media and a third less to buy. Avoid the likes of Ritek and other cheap media if your data/films are important to you.

If you want to look into it more CD Freaks have a blank media and media testing forums http://club.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33