What kind of Car do you drive??

Nightshadow

Guest YuKoN
I am starting to get the fever again...going to start looking for a lightweight toy...

Saw a tubbed and narrowed 73 Vega sitting....kinda got me thinking...

But I would really like to find a decent 70 Vega... or another Chevy Monza...;)

i used to have a 1980 monza- sweet car with 350 and 4-speed. scary fast to drive! first gear and third were unnecessary from a off the line standpoint- just rip outta the hole in second and grab fourth and 120 was easy. only good use i ever found for third gear was to show off lol- dump third from fourth at highway speed and light em up! i kind of miss that car- but sold it figuring i would die in it if i continued to drive it! besides 8 tickets in 6 months at age 20 took me ten years to pay them all off!

my buddy's got a 73 or so Vega- tubbed, wide slicks, straight axle front end, and 396 under the hood. auto trans- it's mostly a 60 foot car- but fun as hell to ride in. you have to be careful- it could use a wheelie bar and the seperate left-right rear brakes like a dragster because it likes to pull the front wheels up.

i love those little cars- lately i've been thinking of dropping a lightweight v-8 into my mgb- but that's another story!

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest oRiOn

NEW! Daytime Pictures.

Wash Process:

ICE Turtle Wax Wash

Soft Water (Have tanks) so no drying

Meguiars' Clay Bar

-ICE Detailer (used for lubrication for clay)

-Meguiars' Detailer (used for lubrication for clay)

Meguiars' NXT Tech Wax + ScratchX combined and applied

sdsaf.jpg

sdfsdf.jpg

sdafsdaf1.jpg

sdafsdaf.jpg

dafgfdah.jpg

asdfw.jpg

argsag.jpg

Thanks!

-Will

p.s. I know my rear rim color is off, it is more gunmetal

i used to have a 1980 monza- sweet car with 350 and 4-speed. scary fast to drive! first gear and third were unnecessary from a off the line standpoint- just rip outta the hole in second and grab fourth and 120 was easy. only good use i ever found for third gear was to show off lol- dump third from fourth at highway speed and light em up! i kind of miss that car- but sold it figuring i would die in it if i continued to drive it! besides 8 tickets in 6 months at age 20 took me ten years to pay them all off!

my buddy's got a 73 or so Vega- tubbed, wide slicks, straight axle front end, and 396 under the hood. auto trans- it's mostly a 60 foot car- but fun as hell to ride in. you have to be careful- it could use a wheelie bar and the seperate left-right rear brakes like a dragster because it likes to pull the front wheels up.

i love those little cars- lately i've been thinking of dropping a lightweight v-8 into my mgb- but that's another story!

All this 'small-car-big-motor' talk made me dig out the photo album (yes, a real album - no digi-cams around when these were taken..);

My '68 Cortina, complete with 4v 351c & 'Glide;

cortinalaunchje4.th.jpg

cortina1hv2.th.jpg

Was good for a 10.21 @ 133 Mph - single 4 barrell, no happy gas :)

Even with 5 ppl stuffed into it, from a stand-still you could just floor it, knock it into top gear, then the car would gradually start to creep forward when there was some semblance of traction, & as long as i was game to hold the throttle down, it would just keep laying rubber :D

• 2 weeks later...

My little CX-7 (AWD version of course)... :)

dsc00270my1.jpg

This pick is from the day I got it, at the car dealer, back in early March; its inside the garage where they finished up installing the extra equipment. The thing handles pretty well, tire spinning is almost impossible even with out the traction control. The sound system rocks, and I got the connection for my 80gb iPod... can't ask for anything more.

Even with just the 4 cyl 244 hp engine and the AWD all the time (not like others :rolleyes: ) I can reach 180 kph really fast and I don't feel any unstability at those speeds. The Turbo engine is really cool, don't know how but you can reach 2,500 rpm pushing the brake pedal for the quick launch... and yet the transmission has LockUp, and if you guys know remember it limits the rpm at the start to something around 1,500 rpm or less; releasing the brake and pushing the gas gives you an amazing start, specially because of the AWD and the no tire spinning :tooth:

The only "negative" thing about it is the Turbo itself... you need to be a good driver to handle it, literally: with out the brake it takes some time to charge enough pressure to increase the torque accordingly, same for a freeway pass at high gears... but that is easily avoided.

One cool thing is the keyless thing... and still I haven't adjusted to it :sweat:

Some very sick rides here, nice detailing job Orion!

That CX7 is very nice Sorrento, but i think you need a proper manual tranny to use the Turbo accordingly ;)

Here is a pic from today of my beater. Got some new rims and rubber!

:nod:

dubwebol0.jpg

Guest YuKoN
All this 'small-car-big-motor' talk made me dig out the photo album (yes, a real album - no digi-cams around when these were taken..);

My '68 Cortina, complete with 4v 351c & 'Glide;

cortinalaunchje4.th.jpg

cortina1hv2.th.jpg

Was good for a 10.21 @ 133 Mph - single 4 barrell, no happy gas :)

Even with 5 ppl stuffed into it, from a stand-still you could just floor it, knock it into top gear, then the car would gradually start to creep forward when there was some semblance of traction, & as long as i was game to hold the throttle down, it would just keep laying rubber :D

sweet old school pics! bet that was fun!

on another note- are all cars in australia 4 doors? reminds me of (sorry for the stereotype) mad max and the 4 door interceptor! don't see too many 4 door hot rods here........... it's almost admirable! try to fit 5 ppl into most hot rods................ btw I hate fords but the clevelands were an awesome engine!

sweet old school pics! bet that was fun!

on another note- are all cars in australia 4 doors? reminds me of (sorry for the stereotype) mad max and the 4 door interceptor! don't see too many 4 door hot rods here........... it's almost admirable! try to fit 5 ppl into most hot rods................ btw I hate fords but the clevelands were an awesome engine!

lol - they do a few 2-doors as well;

http://www.diy-street.com/forum/showpost.p...4&postcount=167

...the General brought out quite a few 2-door contenders over here during the Muscle Car era - by the time Ford brought the big coups to the table, they were all watered down due to the 'supercar scare' of '72.

That CX7 is very nice Sorrento, but i think you need a proper manual

Actually not that much. I know what you mean, but the torque converter of this thing even with the lock/up system can handle nearly 2,500 rpm before launch... I doubt there is any benefit from using a manual gearbox, however I agree the car would weight less and perform better at medium to higher speeds with it.

The CX-7 is near perfect with Automatic, like this it handles near perfection at launch (AWD, no need for traction control) and very good at high speeds.......... if the driver requires a manual gearbox then he/she will require a Mazda Speed6 instead :tooth:

Btw, I tested mine vs. a Nissan Murano (AWD too) and the diference in 1/8 mile was awful in favor of my CX-7. Tried several times to avoid any driver issues and it was pretty much the same. The only one I want to see is the Grand Cherokee with the 6.1 L engine... with all the gadgets and that much power it probably will leave me standing; what would be faster, a Grand Cherokee or the Porche Kayene??? I wonder :sweat:

• 2 weeks later...

We just picked this up today for $300.

It's a 1990 RX-7 GXL with a 13B 2 rotor engine that makes 142HP (the car is RWD).

The car has NO under body rust and overall the body is in excellent condition.

We're going to strip everything down, paint the car completely white (including the engine bay) and then get new wheels, tires, suspension, interior and 3" exhaust.

Oh yeah, we're also swapping in a 13B Turbo II when that's all done ;)

It's going to get a front mount intercooler and some extra goodies as well

Don't let the look of this car fool you, it's going to be FAST and very nice

(my dad owns a bodyshop which is where we're doing all this work)

DSC_0167sdf.jpg

DSC_0215sdf.jpg

DSC_0168df.jpg

DSC_0173asd.jpg

DSC_0171sdf.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I traded in my rubber-band powered tin-can everday driver (Hyundai Excel) today for a Holden VS series II ute today. - I should recieve it early next week - pic to follow! :)