Headset purchase time...

Angry_Games

Ok then 1001st post:

1) first of all you need to decide if a headphone + a separate mic is OK for your needs.

2) If you are OK with it, then you need to decide whether you want a open or a close can. Open means sound will leake from the headphones to outside, close is vica versa. In open designs, generally due to free air movement you can get a better soundstage which means you can visualize where the sound is coming from (cymbals from left front, bass is right end, etc.)

3) Then, optional, would you be interested in isolation - which means does outside noise bother you while listening to music or talking, etc. - if it is a must for you to cut off outside noise then you should look into specific type of headphone.

4) Then, as you mentioned but not completely, what type of headphone do you want: over the head, in ear monitors (iems), circumaural, etc.

5) Then, if you are going to use it for music also - what do you listen? Are you a basshead or details are important for you?

6) Are you willing to invest in an amplifier and a dac (digital to audio converter) in the future - you can't believe how they change what you hear!

i think if you think about these items, we can recommend you some good headphones...

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I myself have a plantronics headset. Doesn't say the model number on it, but it's full ear coverage with sound quality that surprised me for the $40 or so I paid for it.

Sennheiser is good stuff when it comes to headphones. I'm not sure about their lower end consumer stuff, but their $100+ studio headphones sound absolutely amazing, so I'd imagine much of that quality carries over into the consumer area. I'd have bought a Sennheiser headset but I needed them the day I bought them and what I got is all I could find locally.

As for going with the headphones / seperate mic route. It's kinda a pain as the mic will then pick up more background noise / you'll have to talk louder and all that. Sure you can get some amazing headphones with sound quality that'll blow away a headset, but for many people they won't notice much of a difference anyways. If I didn't want a mic I'd be using my studio phones for sure, but I don't want to deal with a seperate mic.

And I just noticed Ooz's last post. And getting answers to those will help us help you. Ooz must be a sound guy too :D

I've got a set of Sennheiser PC165's. They are both 1/8" jack and USB...I use the jacks in my Audigy 2ZS. Great gaming headset, excellent sound, not too much bass, not too tinny. However, they are a little higher than the budget you set at about $100. You can probably get them for less on sale.

They even held up to being slammed on the floor after too much beer and a SOB I couldn't kill a couple weeks ago.......I think the last words before the toss were "bull crap"......:(

Ok then 1001st post:

1) first of all you need to decide if a headphone + a separate mic is OK for your needs.

2) If you are OK with it, then you need to decide whether you want a open or a close can. Open means sound will leake from the headphones to outside, close is vica versa. In open designs, generally due to free air movement you can get a better soundstage which means you can visualize where the sound is coming from (cymbals from left front, bass is right end, etc.)

3) Then, optional, would you be interested in isolation - which means does outside noise bother you while listening to music or talking, etc. - if it is a must for you to cut off outside noise then you should look into specific type of headphone.

4) Then, as you mentioned but not completely, what type of headphone do you want: over the head, in ear monitors (iems), circumaural, etc.

5) Then, if you are going to use it for music also - what do you listen? Are you a basshead or details are important for you?

6) Are you willing to invest in an amplifier and a dac (digital to audio converter) in the future - you can't believe how they change what you hear!

i think if you think about these items, we can recommend you some good headphones...

1. I think it has to be a combo...headphones + mic (unless there's a mic that can attach to headphones but is a separate unit...). I do more skype/teamspeak than anything.

2. hrmmm...not sure about this...i sorta like the sound i get from my one pair of wireless full-ear phones (some unit that we use in the living room to play Guitar Hero at full volume @ 3AM lol), but those full-ear units are usually heavier or hurt the ears quicker. I would think by now a good set though would be both light and comfortable (keep in mind wireless big headphones are huge because of the wireless bits)

3. nah not so worried, i just turn off winamp or yell at everyone to stfu when I'm in a meeting on skype etc lol

4. I'm not really down with teh 'ear buds', they get uncomfortable real quick. The 'behind the head' ones are a bust for the most part because I do wear glasses, and the few that I've tried interfere quite a bit (especially with the glasses I have, very thin sports Nike glasses as per the pic in my avatar).

so over the head would probably be the best I think (but not sure lol)

5. music not so much (other than maybe Guitar Hero vid game haha). More for voice com and gaming like FEAR etc. (I have kick-butt 6.1 speakers for blasting music)

6. nope, not interested. I have an Audigy2 ZS on the pc, and I have a Sony 7.1 digital home theater amp in the living room

I have a plantronics Headset that I love. sorta. THey are very comfortable, block a lot of ambient noise but not all (hence, fire safe :)) and I can hear where ppl come from on CS. IM a 'layman' you might say, as I dont know a lot about thses types of things, but Im not too dissapointed with them.

They are however USB. WHich I have quickly learned to hate. Can anyone tell me if there exists an adapter for the USB to audio plug? Where can I find it?

1. I think it has to be a combo...headphones + mic (unless there's a mic that can attach to headphones but is a separate unit...). I do more skype/teamspeak than anything.

2. hrmmm...not sure about this...i sorta like the sound i get from my one pair of wireless full-ear phones (some unit that we use in the living room to play Guitar Hero at full volume @ 3AM lol), but those full-ear units are usually heavier or hurt the ears quicker. I would think by now a good set though would be both light and comfortable (keep in mind wireless big headphones are huge because of the wireless bits)

3. nah not so worried, i just turn off winamp or yell at everyone to stfu when I'm in a meeting on skype etc lol

4. I'm not really down with teh 'ear buds', they get uncomfortable real quick. The 'behind the head' ones are a bust for the most part because I do wear glasses, and the few that I've tried interfere quite a bit (especially with the glasses I have, very thin sports Nike glasses as per the pic in my avatar).

so over the head would probably be the best I think (but not sure lol)

5. music not so much (other than maybe Guitar Hero vid game haha). More for voice com and gaming like FEAR etc. (I have kick-butt 6.1 speakers for blasting music)

6. nope, not interested. I have an Audigy2 ZS on the pc, and I have a Sony 7.1 digital home theater amp in the living room

OK good start!

Now my first recommendations will be for gaming: Beyer DT770/80 (closed), AKG K701 or 601 (open), ATH A900 (closed), Senn HD555 or 595 (open) would be your best options - I didnt check the prices for a long time but check out the forums (especially head-fi.com - you can find everything about headphones).

For music: as a starter, I believe spending around 50-60 dollars would be a good idea. Alessandro MS1 is a very good one and my first choice. If you get an AKG K701 or A900, it is a great all rounder, can be used for gaming and music listening.

Whatever you buy, I strongly recommend you buying a headphone amplifier though. You can get a basic PA2V2 for $50.

Now, let me watch battlestar galactica! but I will write more...

I'm on my 3rd pair of plantronics Headsets. I wear them for up to 5 or 6 hours sometimes. I even forget there on my head, thats one reson I had to replace one pair. With good onboard sound or a sound card I think they are a good balance between quality and cost. they have inline mute and volume control

a nice mic boom that is a little telescopic and bendable and a built in sort of fuzzy thing, you know the whatcha ma caller thingy. on other headset my kids steal the little fuzzy thing. One thing I like about them is I wear glasses when I'm on the computer and the headpnones dont push my frames agansit my head(ouch).

http://www.plantronics.com/north_america/e...032/prod5500009

I'm on my 3rd pair of plantronics Headsets. I wear them for up to 5 or 6 hours sometimes. I even forget there on my head, thats one reson I had to replace one pair. With good onboard sound or a sound card I think they are a good balance between quality and cost. they have inline mute and volume control

a nice mic boom that is a little telescopic and bendable and a built in sort of fuzzy thing, you know the whatcha ma caller thingy. on other headset my kids steal the little fuzzy thing. One thing I like about them is I wear glasses when I'm on the computer and the headpnones dont push my frames agansit my head(ouch).

http://www.plantronics.com/north_america/e...032/prod5500009

Yeah, those are what I purchased from Best Buy...

I find them absolutely terrible for music, but games aren't too bad. They are pretty comfortable though.

I might get a nice pair soon though, definitely have to see what Travis ends up getting.