Headset purchase time...

Angry_Games

Nice. I have this crappy labtec headset that digs into my ears when worn too long. The features are good, but again, too uncomfortable. Ive put off buying a good headset for too long so this thread has given me some nice choices. Payday cant come soon enough it seems, lol, i will probably grab a pair then.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will try to convince you one more time.

Do urself a favor and hit head-fi for sale section: http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14

You can snap a a900 or dt770/80 for around $125. I know it is out of your range but believe me you will enjoy the comfort and the sound!!

One thing about some of the recommendations above, specific to grado SR60 and bose in general.

Grado line has a signature sound, like senn's. Whether you like it or not! nothing in between - you need to hear/compare them.

But in general, one can characterize the grado line as clear, bright, tight bass, and detail oriented. Whereas senn's are much more darker, and sit back type of cans.

Grado's are perfect for rock but they are simply not comfortable at least to me without some modifications (they sit on your ear, not cover them and in addition my glasses put a lot of pressure to my ear). I recommended alessandro MS1 cuz it has the grado signature sound but without that big brightness effect.

After I went to Boston head-fi meeting 1.5 months ago, and listening $300 - $10,000 headphone systems. I decided that I need to sold my grado sr80 and buy a senn hd650. The motto of the headphone world is "sorry bout your wallet"...

The $50 investment that you will be doing on top of your budget of $75 will give you the biggest pleasure when you are listening a female voice or metallica or pwning a guy in fps - believe me!

And for bose, I am one of those people who believes that they are a big marketing hype... For sure they have some better quality products but paying $$ to a bose tripod is a waste of money (my honest opinion).

EDIT: If you want I can send you zalman 5.1 headphones for trial and if you like them you can keep em: http://www.computerhq.com/ZALMAN_ZM-RS6F_M...-id-498291.html

It is working but you might need to solder one wire soon.

ooz are you talking about the headphone amp thing again?

I'm just not interested as I have an Audigy2 ZS which is perfect for gaming and audio with my good 6.1 speakers

the headphones + mic are mostly for voice com like Skype and Teamspeak but they should be decent for gaming late at night...but I just have zero need for an extra expense like a headphone amp thingy. I just don't need it. I have great speakers and a great sound card.

The headphones are not going to be my mainstay. But I would like a nice set of non-USB headphones + mic and I know I'm gonna have to spend a good amount like $50-$75 (possibly slightly more) but I'm not really interested in spending more since my speakers are my main source of sound.

I just want something light that doesn't pinch my face (nor glasses), and has a microphone and has an inline adjuster...it has to sound good, but I'm not an audio snob so I don't need all the bells and whistles (my Sony 7.1 home theater amp has all that).

I looked at those Zalman 5.1's but after hearing others talk about them...they don't really sound all that great (but I never heard them myself).

I just know lots of guys talk about Senns and how great they are...but I've always went with the cheapo stuff (function over bells n whistles lol) because when I really want to blast music (ie playing along with my guitar or Call of Duty 2 etc) I got great speakers already, and in the living room a fantastic home theater setup.

but sometimes that home theater setup ain't all that cool at 3AM and I'm banging away on Guitar Hero or NHL 2k7 etc. So I need a bit of headphones with the 1/8" or 1/4" jacks (i've got plenty of adapters) as USB ain't gonna work on the home theater, and I hate USB on the pc for any audio.

I guess the sticking point is the microphone. I don't need it for the living room, but I definitely need it for the pc and doing conference calls with all the partners and my other job (which does a LOT of conference calls).

not trying to be pissy...just sorta looking for personal experience with JUST headphones/mic (and NO USB lol). I'm gonna take a look at everyone's links and opinions real real careful and then decide which one I gonna try first...I'll probably hate it, but that's life and that's how we learn ;)

can we have a HAPPY review of the ones you try,please. like fors and against and not wot, as I am in the market for a new headset now my mic dont work anymore, which I cleverly figured out after the 5-6th time of reinstalling my sound card drivers:tooth:

Ooz, I know you mean well by suggesting higher end headphones, but he's looking for a headset with a mic built into it.

If your going to be spending about $100 you can get some decent stuff H_G. My Plantronics is great for the price, and I definately like the higher quality Sennheiser headphones and would imagine that their better headsets would be good stuff as well.

Headphones are unfortunately a rather subjective thing, much like speakers. Many people would hear studio phones or speakers with a flat response curve and think they sounded horrible because their used to a bass and treble boosting curve. But unfortunately unlike pro audio headphones I don't know of any stores that allow you to try out headsets in the store.

RAZER Barracuda HP-1 Surround Sound headphones....easily the best set of headphones I have ever used....BUT they do use USB ONLY to power the subwoofer in them (you could prolly leave it unplugged) and they do cost 100 bones or so...mine were.....I have used all sorts of gaming headphones and these are easily worth the 30 dollars more from your budget....oh and they have a sweet microphone that is small and can be plugged in or left out of the headphones

Hey, Travis I have been looking at some of the Senheisers on NewEgg not much of a selection for gaming headsets from senheiser at least and their wesite seems to be partially down. But I stumbled across these and they are teamspeak certified but the only downside is they are force feedback but you never know you may be into it....https://edimensional.com/product_info.php?c...&products_id=30

I wont even state that they are close in comparison to Senheiser but you never know check it out!

I highly recommend SENNHEISER Headphones. Not just because they kick butt. But the customer service is great. They fixed my HD500's for free even though they were well out of warrenty. This looks like a nice set.

SENNHEISER HD555

PS NO USB

First off, BOSE headphones are garbage. What a waste of $$$, they ain't worth $40. You can pick up a Sennheiser HD201 for $20 that will BLOW them away!!!

Most people here tend not to know anything about quality headphones (no offense, you really should read up on head-hi.org). After owning several high end and low end headphones "cans" my recommendation for gaming would be using a separate 3.5mm mic $7 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16836501002 and going with something like a Sennheiser HD485, $65 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16826159412

which will fit within your budget. Those are amazing cans for that price. They own most everything people suggested when it comes to sound quality so far cept maybe the Audio Technica A900 or Beyerdynamic DT770's, yea good luck finding those for under $150 new!

Hey, Travis I have been looking at some of the Senheisers on NewEgg not much of a selection for gaming headsets from senheiser at least and their wesite seems to be partially down. But I stumbled across these and they are teamspeak certified but the only downside is they are force feedback but you never know you may be into it....https://edimensional.com/product_info.php?c...&products_id=30

I wont even state that they are close in comparison to Senheiser but you never know check it out!

I have a pair of these in the house. They do give you positional audio for that extra gaming edge to know where your bad guys are.

My CS:S playing people say, "Good Deal".

Guest LookBackX2

I got lazy and skipped the last page of posts. Forgive me if this info has already been submitted.

I use behind the head Plantronics, with the normal audio jacks. I also wear glasses, and have found it difficult to find any (over-the-head, or behind) that didn't bother my glasses or ears untill now. These are very comfy and sit on top of ears w/foam-rubber pads. I can wear them for hours of WSG, or a Dungeon raid clean through. I even forget I have em on sometimes. :drool:

One drawback though, they distort w/too much bass or volume. Being $29.00 they are a great deal relating to ease of use, mic quality, and comfort. But fall short on SQ.

Work really well for when the ol' Lady, and/or lil' brat are trying to get shuteye.