My interent sucks....and there is nothing i can do

kbruno

Guest thespin
It's good to be Canadian!

There has to be SOME compensation for the six months of darkness and six months of greyness, eh? Sir Canaduh .... :(

I work for Rogers Wireless up here in Canaduh...

Currently beta testing the new consumer High Speed service to roll out in Q1 next year. It's rated to 18/4 MBps, but won't reach it's true max until infrastructure and network changes take effect in December. This service will cost a whopping $99/month... !

Current real world speedtesting to a local server (speedtest.magma.ca) gives mid to high 8000s KBps.

Rogers is kicking off the service by including the new Motorola Surfboard 5120 and all on-plant installs will include upgraded/dedicated cabling and a signal booster at the demark.

Expect to see the other consumer services increase in speed as well, as a result of the new system upgrades.

Extreme was 6 MBps, now 8 MBps

Express was 5 MBps, now 7 MBps

Prices should remain the same with promotional offers until at least Q3.

The big coup will be Static IP Business Internet for $90/month, which will include 5 static IPs, 10/2 MBps service. Installation is $150, but our techs test the network speed, install new cabling and boosters, and guarantee "10/1" ..... within 10% of rated speeds at all times with less than 1% downtime.

It's good to be Canadian!

Except for 3rd world countries, America is the worst when it comes to broadband deployment to its citizens. To think that we led the world in having phones to almost 98 percent of the population to only 42% of broadband to the population.

I get 1Mb down, 128Kb up at a whopping $50 a month, and no upgrade in sight, I even tried to upgrade to Business Class with Frontier DSL here in California, but they don't even have that at my locale. I'm in the sticks in a fairly new developement that does have its own remote switch. I'm going to try wireless access, but I'm afaid that my latency will suck do to the broadcast method of how bandwidth is spread around. Let's all move to Canada.

lol, where i grew up in the back woods of pennsylvania, we could ONLY get dialup. the area is so rural it would cost the cable company would actually lose money to run cable out there. there arent enough people to cover the cost of running a cable. also, our phone circuitry is to old to handle dsl, or so they tell us. so, on a GOOD day, i would get a WHOPPING 28.8 kbbs connection speed. most days was only 26.4. lol, back in the day when napster was new, i downloaded a 3.5 meg song, and it took 45 minutes. kept me from ever downloading again. lol, thats one way to stop piracy!

There has to be SOME compensation for the six months of darkness and six months of greyness, eh? Sir Canaduh ....
Yes, there does! Actually I used to do engineering work in Yellowknife, Northwest Territories (and points north). North of 60, 70 and beyond... Talk about darkness! In the winter you sleep about 60% of the time, and then in summer you're awake probably 80% of the time with the constant sunlight.
Except for 3rd world countries, America is the worst when it comes to broadband deployment to its citizens. To think that we led the world in having phones to almost 98 percent of the population to only 42% of broadband to the population.

I get 1Mb down, 128Kb up at a whopping $50 a month, and no upgrade in sight, I even tried to upgrade to Business Class with Frontier DSL here in California, but they don't even have that at my locale. I'm in the sticks in a fairly new developement that does have its own remote switch. I'm going to try wireless access, but I'm afaid that my latency will suck do to the broadcast method of how bandwidth is spread around. Let's all move to Canada.

Actually, broadband availability in Canada is quite poor. I'm in Ottawa (da capital!) and even just 10 - 15km outside the city center there is no broadband availability. Almost all our time and effort is spent developing network capacity and access within the major centers...

That being said, we are working on some cool initiatives, and aiming to increase broadband coverage by 10% a year. We are currently co-oping with the Hydro companies on a project to deploy a "Wi-Max" system. This will put wireless receivers/repeaters on the tops of all the hydro poles in 25 major cities and their burroughs, which will offer about 2MBps speeds, and be available for a monthly access fee. The service will support VOIP and Hotspotting - where anyone can purchase single day-use licenses from places like coffee shops, malls and the like for a nominal fee. We are alos working on a cellsite-deployed wireless internet access system similar to wi-max for rural areas, and allow true plug and surf ability anywhere there is an AC outlet.

Cana-hunh?

Guest thespin

One thing already being tested in some small towns in the US is the use of the electric power grid for Internet communication. If that pans out, I suppose it will solve many of the problems of rolling out access ...

Ive had cable modem for a year which is "upto 10mbps" package my top speed so far equates to 8mbps but thats fine for my needs, unless its running slow then i wanna throw it out the window and go back to carrier pidgeon

One thing already being tested in some small towns in the US is the use of the electric power grid for Internet communication. If that pans out, I suppose it will solve many of the problems of rolling out access ...
That idea has been tried many times over the past 10/15 years, I hope it works better this time! :cool:

on a GOOD day, i would get a WHOPPING 28.8 kbbs connection speed. most days was only 26.4. lol, back in the day when napster was new, i downloaded a 3.5 meg song, and it took 45 minutes. kept me from ever downloading again. lol, thats one way to stop piracy!

lolz that funny.

hmm...im so inpatient when it comes to this stuff......they need to hurry there little hienes up and get these things flattened out...i mean we put a man on the moon(no studio here folks) why cant i get some good internet....we should put more money into technology than a fence to keep aliens out....who by the way do all the dirty work for us lazy peeps....ty illegal friends...ill keep my mouth shut for ya ;)....not trying to instigate another debate there....stick with the internet topic lol