Vigor Gaming Monsoon II (754, 939, AM2, LGA775) TEC cooling!

Angry_Games

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I normally think of HardOCP reviews to be some of the best out there. But after reading the boards, I realized that I hadn't thought of the fact that there is little to compare their review against. So yes they did drop the ball on this one.

However it also strikes me that any of those air coolers in their open test reviews are in the "best: of conditions. And seeing how the cooler out performed them, I'd imagine that it would still do better seeing how it was not in an "ideal" condition.

After looking at the pcper review I do like how they measure the delta between the ambient and cooler. First time I've seen that in a review.

It seems that most sites test their coolers in an open test bed, which makes the results off with such a cooler. I do really like how pcper uses the delta in their reviews and have to say it may be my new source for HSF reviews as it's the only site I've seen with such info which makes it perhaps the only site which I can see how the cooler works when compared to other HSF's.

I'm kinda rambling on. Thanks for pointing out that link (Didn't realize that it went to a review)... I'm going to sleep now. And sorry if what I've been rambling about makes no sence.

Oh yeah, H_G... What cooler did you have on the proc before you put the Monsoon on it?

I edited my post because me insulting another site is not professional. Just me relaying that their own forum readers trashed the review as weak should be enough. I know better, but failed to act correctly, and apologize to all readers here and everywhere that might have correctly thought to themselves what a jerk I am.

now

the cooler I had on it before was a ThermalTake mini-Typhoon...a very very good cooler in my opinion...but it was easily hitting 55C+ at 2850Mhz (if i remember correctly, well over 60C...but I've spent way too much time messing with the Core2Duo so my brain isn't working properly...and when I was fooling with the AM2 stuff prior, I just never had enough time to get into it like I wanted to, because of hte Core2Duo being exciting and new.

Now I have the time, but before anything, I am going to use the Monsoon and revisit an old favorite, the 939 cpu on our NF4-D or Expert or CFX3200 board.

I know almost by heart what temps my 3200+ Venice would idle/load @ stock speed as well as 2750Mhz which it would hit on any and every board capable of it.

I know the temps using XP-90's, probably XP-120, stock cooler, even TDX waterblock cooling.

I definitely know the 4400+ dual-core temps on watercooling at both stock and overclock also...it just comes from playing with these cpu's every single day for almost two years straight.

Soon enough though, I will have nearly memorized Core2Duo and AM2 temps from various heatsinks/coolers, but until then, I'll have to tread back through the Stock Speed and Overclock Database to compare setups so I can match them with this Monsoon and see what differences I see.

by the way, 3Ghz is about 12 minutes from hitting 8 hours and I don't think this thing has broke 40C a single time...right now, with it being about 74F (23C) in this room, the Monsoon's bay unit says that it is pulling 93F (34C).

ITE says 36C on the cpu, 34C on the chipset (woo hoo! for THermalright HR-05 and 80mm silent fan!), and 29C System temp.

The board is in the open air on a desktop. At some point I will place in a case (Vigor Gaming also sent me a killer case (CM Stacker look-alike) so I think I will put it in there and see what she says ;)

ps: I would also like to note that now this thing is running full-tilt Orthos and overclocked to 3Ghz, the 92mm fan is very noticeable.

No worse than a normal 92mm LED fan (not known for quiet yet not super loud) on an XP-90 for instance.

I need to ask Steven if the fan can be replaced as I don't know if I would like to have it running like this all the time, even inside a case. Again, it isn't ugly loud, it's just very noticeable.

Or possibly disabling that fan and adding a second, quieter fan on the back-end...or it is absolutely necessary at all (I'm quite sure it is as the exhaust is blowing pretty darn warm lol...but that's what you get for having a dual-core w/1MB L2 cache @ 3Ghz and only showing 36C!).

I'll also try to remember to listen for it when it's just idling at 3Ghz as I doubt it would need to run full-blast like this with barely any cpu useage (and once a game kicked in and turned the cpu on full-time, you should be hearing artillery shells blowing up or enemy aliens screaming death-cries instead of the fan).

but so far, honestly, for $150...and a heck of a lot easier to install than watercooling...I'd say I'm pretty darn impressed with it so far, and since you know how I always preach you always got to give up something to get something, I am figuring that giving up a little noise and some hot exhaust is worth the price of slamming my way FINALLY into the GGG club heh

I think I might beg someone here to loan me a 7950GX2 card (since this board isn't SLI, but a 7950 is SLI on a single card!) just to see how far I can push this thing (since Nvidia is stingy like Intel and ignores us grrrr...probably because I'm an butt quite a bit of the time)

3Ghz idle @ 17C - 19C (fluxes a little)

the fan is back to cycling up and down about every 3-5 seconds, so it's safe to say that definitely when you started a game and game-bombs are falling and aliens are crashing into planets below from lasercannon fire that you won't hear this thing when it kicks into full gear.

I think I'll ask Steven for sure if there's a way to manually control the fan or if they can put a more silent fan on here anyway, just because some of you are totally anal (like me!) and would complain about it (but only probably about as much as I am...I think this Monsoon unit and I are gonna be friends for a long time)

nice review, any idea if or when their gonna be available in the UK ? just had a quick search and couldnt find anything.. . im currently using a zalman fatality jobby, 26idle 38load, wouldnt mind grabbbing one of these to see for myself :D

You need a spreadsheet with temps Happy ;)

I think I'ma start saving my cash for one of these bad boys. Move my computer too much to want to use water, don't like having to worry about leaks and bubbles from moving it and not being able to tilt the case n such.

Seems like it should work great with a Core2 rig :D

Now if I could just connect a fan or two to it and not use their fan speed settings and fan connector and just run em at full blast. I don't like when fans change speed, so I just buy fans that are pretty quiet at full speed and leave em that way ;)

I want to see what it can do with Angry's 3.60ghz OCDB entry settings on the Conroe...

I've become spoiled with my stacker 810/Freezone CPU cooler setup in that it's a breeze to swap out cpu's without having to remove anything...unplug the external connections to the case. Pop it up on the counter on it's side, Remove the cooling block, pop out the old cpu and in with the new. Clean it, grease it...re-attach the cooling block...All done.

This thing looks to be good for out of the case testing and 24/7 set it and forget it (angry's already pointed that out)...so it would be nice to see how it does on a Conroe that's really being pushed...So far all the reviews have been on AMD setups...

interesting............

now im thinking of picking one up coz i can move the BigTyphoon to my HTPC and use that for my gaming rig......

but where to get in Canada????

Perhaps Vigor has a website with a vendor listing...