Vigor Gaming Monsoon II (754, 939, AM2, LGA775) TEC cooling!

Angry_Games

Ok kids, Mr Steven over at Vigor Gaming has sent me a couple of these TEC coolers to try out on the very overclockable DFI motherboards ;)

Here's the initial test system:

DFI Infinity Ultra-II AM2

AMD64 X2 4800+ socketAM2

2x1GB Mushkin Redline PC2-8000 (DDR2-1000Mhz)

ATI X1900XT w/Accelero cooler

OCZ GamerXstream 700w power supply

WD 80GB SATA hdd + NEC 3500A DVD-RW

Thermalright HR-05 chipset heatpipe cooler

I'll provide pics in a while when I get around to it, but for the moment, I'm just sitting in the bios watching the temps before I plod into windows (and overclocking!)

Now, also note that I have no idea just how accurate the temp sensor on the Infinity board is, but during stock speed idle with a 3800+, I could pull 24C on the ITE SmartGuardian sensor, and at full load it would hover between 35C and 40C (depending on the temps in the lab).

I tested the 4800+ on the NF590 SLI board, and honestly can't remember the stock and overclock idle/load temps (been too busy playing with Core2Duo!).

But, just sitting in the bios, I can see the cpu temp sensor showing me a steady 15C, with the System temp @ 38C.

I'm getting ready to jump into windows and let Orthos (dual-prime) run a bit just to see where I stand.

So far I only have two negatives.

#1: This seems to be the only bottom-mount cooling unit left in the world. I've already complained to Steven about how if momma wasn't around, it wouldn't have been installed (well, I could probably have figured it out).

Ya have to take the motherboard completely out of the case, which is no big deal to me. I do this all the time to install watercooling or a different cooler than a stock one.

Problem is, I have the HR-05 chipset cooler so just turning the board over on it's face is not an option.

Lining up the holes on the board with the backplate and having to screw them in from the bottom of the board just isn't going to sit well with some people, and as I said, I've already complained that this is going to have to be fixed in future versions.

BUT...

ONCE YOU INSTALL THIS THING YOU WILL NOT BE UNINSTALLING IT...SO THIS IS REALLY NO BIG DEAL...BUT A REGULAR TOP MOUNT (ie you lay the backplate on the desk then sit the mobo over it and screw it down from the topside) WOULD BE 100% BETTER AND BENEFICIAL TO GUYS LIKE ME WHO INSTALL/UNINSTALL DAY IN AND DAY OUT.

So...it really is NOT a big deal. It's really just a minor complaint, especially since you won't be installing/uninstalling repeatedly like I do.

#2: the constant pitch of the cooling fan going up and down, up and down, up and down, up and down.

The control unit needs to have some sort of fan controller where you can set the RPM manually, so it sits at a constant setting. Every 3 seconds the fan winds up, then 3 seconds later it winds down.

Once inside a case, I don't really see this as being a huge deal, but it could be heard over everything else if you are like me and have nice quiet cases (and you don't have Call of Duty 2 blasting full volume to mask the ambient noise from your rig!).

So, like I said, two very MINOR complaints so far. Nothing that makes me say "oh this is crap" right off the bat. Once installed, it booted right up, and is still sitting at 15C on the cpu.

So far, I'm liking it!

By the way, the TEC unit uses only around 5A on the 12v line, or about 60w. (this is quote from Steven himself). I went with the OCZ GX 700w at first just to make sure I wouldn't be lacking power. I will be trying again with the PSU I was originally using on this setup, the Hiper 580w, which should be more than enough power since I am only using a single X1900XT video card.

now, off to boot to windows and let some stock-speed idle and load testing commence!

PS: almost forgot...this, if it works out, is a VERY VIABLE ALTERNATIVE TO WATERCOOLING!

check it, $149 @ newegg.com:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16835702001 (socket 754/939/AM2)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16835702002 (LGA775)

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so far, at stock speeds, under dual-prime full load over the last...hour?

the temps are 23C on the cpu

the System (ambient) temp shows 30C in ITE Smartguardian, and the temp on the front of the chassis unit shows 29C.

Steven just informed me that the unit self-adjusts to stay near ambient temps to make sure no condensation occurs.

Also, once the thing kicks in under load, the constant whir/whine of the fan cycling up and down in RPM's is gone completely.

The fan isn't the quietest fan, but yet it isn't really all that loud. It is noticeable, but not annoying at all (especially when it is sitting on the open desktop next to me, and i have winamp playing at low volume, it is not really noticeable)

Gonna start fooling with some overclocking when I get back tonight methinks ;)

3Ghz dual-core (250x12 @ 1.55vcore) @ 39C-40C full load dual-prime so far

the vcore is probably excessive, but I want to generate lots and lots of heat to see how this thing will function ;)

gonna go install some hockey computers and will let it continue to dual-prime tonight ;)

(hey...it's an overclock DB entry right!?)

3Ghz dual-core (250x12 @ 1.55vcore) @ 39C-40C full load dual-prime so far

the vcore is probably excessive, but I want to generate lots and lots of heat to see how this thing will function ;)

gonna go install some hockey computers and will let it continue to dual-prime tonight ;)

(hey...it's an overclock DB entry right!?)

Looks like we'll have a new 3GGG member...:P

Wow... That's some serious cooling. I've seen mixed reviews of similar units on the web. But knowing you beat on the stuff you review I'll trust what you have to say about it ;) Going from 35-40c to 23c is amazing... What cooler were you using previously?

Since I move my computer a lot water isn't the best idea for me... I eagerly await seeing what else you find out about this unit! As it definately seems to be well worth it's $ with it's cooling. :D

If you need a review of this to read while waiting for H_G to finish with the hockey peoples computers. Check out this one at HardOCP

don't look at the one at HardOCP...unless you are going to read the forum thread that goes with it

The HardOCP review is just another reason why you cannot trust reviewers these days....they think they know everything, yet never bother to read the instructions, nor can they admit when they are wrong.

edit: oops, I should know better than to be so harsh on another site...pot calling kettle black and all, so I apologize for that. But it is a poor review and the forum readers let them know it better than anyone else

if you want a real review, look at the PCPER review I linked in the first post.