Building your own case?

Evil......Sorry dude but I'm not trying to bust you're bubble but what are you expecting to get out of a C note anways? You will invest at least $600,00 of you're time at the very least probably close to a $1000.00 and material will more than certainly run you more than $100.00 plus like Carl stated its all about a proper plan of attack and the proper and adequate ammount of tools will dictate how efficiantly and effectively you're attack will be carried out! I make 18th century furniture by hand and have been a wood worker all of my life I also due primarily specialty work imn all aspects of the trades and if I were to make you a one off it would be around $2600.00 But it would also take first place in any contest also! It is a major endeavor quite gratifying but also quite frustateing if you dont have the proper space, equipment, etc , etc, etc

Materia;s in all honesty would probably be around $350.00- $400.00 ....Dont forget that you have no prior experience at this a s a liveing so also factor in an addition 30% for mistakes.

Better to have too much than not enough!!!!

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're an ambitious fellar I like that.

Actualy I am able to invision any thing, and plan out how to make it. I just have a lack of follow thorough. But if I get started I will keep going till its done.

I am now just thinking of getting a Lan Li case and working it down.

the only problem with that is that the pannels on that case are made of steel. And from my experiences working with my other case I know that I will have to work quickly between sanding and spraying to keep the metal from oxidizing. It wont produce the original effect I wanted, with an almost seamless exterior and curved edges, but it would be easier

also it would look like a Lan Li case when I finished.

I feel that you are in the late planning stages of this and I commed you on creating originality that suits your taste. Too many people think "Oh that'll be tough so I'll settle for _______ instead" and that is always worse in the long run :)

I think if anyone has the time, money is sometimes not as much an issue. Remember that a lot of costs are towards conveniences.

I say great luck to you, and you MUST post the pics on a work log!

boo

Hey I have confidence in ya kid! I will tell you what I tell everyone that asks me how in the hell did you do that? My responce to that is patience and understanding and by taking my time and not rushing!

So if you really want to do it then do it! I was not by any means trying to discourage you!

I was mearly pointing out the facts of the matter and it is 2006 and material for anything is very expensive, I dont care what you do any more thats just the way it is!

But I also have people that look at my work and say you have a real gift and I could never do that in a million years!! My official response to that is ...Yes you can you just aren't interested enough!

I honestly believe that if I were interested in the subject enough I could be a brain surgeon I also believe that evryone has that same ability in them and it is their own fears and self doubt that sets the barriars and obstacles for their failure!

So I say go for it kid! Just do you're research and then do some more on top of that and then proceed!!!

I will give you somthing to think about!

Michael Angelo was Carving a stone statue and a woman walked up and said Michael Angelo how did you create such a magnificiant and beautiful statue?

Michael Angelo said I did not create anything! The statue was always here I mearly chipped away the pieces!!

nice to see some enthusiasim esau and boo

I don't mean to discourage you,........

Get a Lian-Li....

definately go for it, plan well, don't rush or cut corners(no pun)

and get a dremel or similar cause there great never realised how much so til i got mine, used my usual hand drill til recently.

so anyone fancy a dedicated thread to case builds to post ideas pics and stuff

I would fancy that.

Is there anywhere where I can get the standard fittings and hole positions for mounting hardware such as mobos and the power supplies?

I would fancy that.

Is there anywhere where I can get the standard fittings and hole positions for mounting hardware such as mobos and the power supplies?

Grab one and start measuring ;) That's the best way. Though I will say from experience... If you can rip a mobo tray and back pannel out of a case it'll make your life muchmuch easier. Those are the two hardest things to make on your own. The tray cause the way the holes have to have depth to them and the back cause of the pci slot retention area.

If you do polish anything to a mirror finish, just hit it with some clearcoat as soon as you've finished and cleaned it up good, and it'll never get tarnished or anything like that.

Good luck with the modding, should be schweet when yer done :D

Ok I have a couple questions.

Is it possible to glue aluminum or bond it in some way to steel or another peice of aluminum? I dont plan on purchasing an arkwelder anytime soon. I even found somebody that is willing to lend me their dremmil for a couple of weeks.

2nd question.

I know that alumium does not oxadize quickly such as steel does, but when the outer layer of it does would it be noticible to the human eye? would I need a clear coat?

3rd question.

Do right angle bars come in alumium? or am I going to have to make the case frame out of steel.

4th question.

What special considerations should I take considering grounding the mobo and other equitment?

best thing for Aluminum is to have it anodized.... I have a friend that does that for a living... clear coat is cool and shiny but stops heat disapation

yes aluminum come is angle stock... best thing to do is maybe find a local scrap broker who deals in aluminum and buy stuff there....

There are 3 close to me and with the rv industry there is alot of scrap... I buy a full sheet of 4foot x 8foot aluminum for $20.00...

I can also buy the same sheet of diamond plate aluminum same price...you'd be amazed what people throw out.... it's all about shopping smarter not harder....

some of the best case mod are done with scrap parts...

4 nothing... do you see anything special in the case you have now