Building your own case?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking good Evil. I actually like the look's of that case. Lots of room at the top, instead of on the bottom like has became so popular nowaday's.

That wasnt intentional, I just took whatever case I could get my hands on and I was too lazy to move the mobo or anything. Though I do like the look.

BTW I have to take the finished computer to a robotics club competition as a support computer to make it legal in me having this :D

I'd really suggest using the dremel outside or in a garage.

Those small metal filings can be sucked into any electronic device and destroy it.

While those fans may give you the bling you want, IMO there are alternatives at 1/3 of the price that will give you superior performace.

Steel IS very difficult to cut with a dremel, and forcing the dremel tool will cause the motor to get hot.

Let the tool do the work and change the cutting discs frequently if needed.

Why on earth would anyone buy a Dremel over a jigsaw is beyond me to do this kind of stuff! It just does not make much sense to me at all why the dremel is considered the Holy Grail for this stuff ? You can do the exact same things with greater ease and stability with the required support you need from the jigsaw base! That paired up with a round and flat Mill file and you got it whooped!

I'd definately choose a jug saw over a dremel with steel as well.

But it's about available tools. He didn't have access to a jig saw.

Think Evil is planning on most of the dremel work being done on aluminum.

I'd definately choose a jug saw over a dremel with steel as well.

But it's about available tools. He didn't have access to a jig saw.

Think Evil is planning on most of the dremel work being done on aluminum.

I do have a reciprocating saw, two (5"?) circular saws, and others of the sort but the dremil gave me the precise cut I needed. Yes the majority of the work (heh Im not even a quarter of the way done) will be done on aluminum. I belive that those were the last steel cuts I will be making on this project. Good thing too because I ran out of reinforced blades lol.

ok, since I think it will be very hard to bend aluminum in the ways I want to for the front, side, and back, I am making them out of that pink foam stuff. I will apply several coats of a hardner afterward then spray it with that crome paint I think.

Here is a cheap right angle foam cutter I got :D

DSCN0105.jpg

Guest edge130

IMHO, a "knock out" punch set produces the best hole.

They are expensive, so if you know an electrician or can take it to somone who has a set.

Knock out puches are usually round, for installing round metal conduit.

Although one can find knock out punches in other shapes.

I used a knock out punch for 80 and 92 mm fan holes in my old Lian Li case.

A knock out punch makes for a very clean hole.

---------------------------------------------------

Something to think about.

I sometimes pass trophy/engraving places that advertise a laser.

Although I think those lasers could cut any design in plexiglass, possibly they might work for thin aluminum. But I'm not sure.