I made a HUGE mistake....

ok... so I have been on of the recent victums of my Nvidia LAN adapter randomly dying. I was just going along, playing games and minding my own business until my net died... As i looked in the back of my machine to unplug and re-plug in my ethernet cable, the green light would come on and come off like a though it were a steady traffic light. I couldnt renew my IP because the connection would last long enough and the icon in my task bar complimented the same results as connection would be gained, and lost repeatedly. Exhausting all that i possiblely could do at the time (unfortunately no internet to come here and get help) I decided to do a fresh install to wash out the drivers and start over...... BIG MISTAKE. :eek: For some reason, windows installed on my storage partition and deleted everthing. I am assuming because i ran windows install cd through windows, it already detected windows on my drive and chose the next drive that didnt have it. Years of information, files, and folders down the drain.... what makes it even better is that the fresh install didnt even fix my problem! AHaHahaHAaHaAHaHaaH (I only laugh because my tear ducts are completely dry:sad: )

My first question is if anyone would know of ANY way this information could be retrieved. I KNOW there has to be some way that this is still intacted on my HD. This is a first reformat on this drive (have had it for 5 months) and i have heard of way this can be done. I WONT GIVE UP HOPE!!!!! if anyone can help me with this initially, I would give you my world.

As for the dying LAN adapter, i have come across others who have experienced the same thing and I am going to try some of thier methods to see if this will rectify the problem. Did anyone else experience a steady hiccup in connection lost? (i.e. 3-4 seconds connected or "acquiring ip address" then shut off or "nework connection unplugged" message, then repeat over and over again) Any and everyones thoughts, comments and input would be priceless. :eek2: :sweat:

ahhh and that is why I always suggest a non-destructive Windows install whenever possible. Sorry to hear that happened. I know it has happened a couple of times to me and in one case it killed a 160GB drive full of dj mixes I had. (notice the use of the word had)

. Did anyone else experience a steady hiccup in connection lost? (i.e. 3-4 seconds connected or "acquiring ip address" then shut off or "nework connection unplugged" message, then repeat over and over again) Any and everyones thoughts, comments and input would be priceless. :eek2: :sweat:

That was happening with the other lan device the marvel? , two days ago it just kept on losing sync , disconnecting and complaining about such and such unplugged... :eek:

if u had only done a 'quick' format (that option u have when u install windooze) yes there might b a chance - but u've over written ur data!!! i aint the sharpest tool in the shed but something tells me... NOT A CHANCE

I am under the same impression, however nothing is truely "erased" on a HD. I have been searching and have found utilities and companies who can do what im looking for. now i have the luxury of trying to find which one will actually work....

Gynuine, i work @ CompUSA as a technician, and we use a program called Get Data Back, for a one shot usage, you might just jump on the free trial and give it a run, you can run it on your active windows partition or on a slave driver how ever you want it, it works great, never has it not recovered ANYTHING. something is always there in some form. give a it a try, best of luck.

To maximize your chances of data recovery, do not write any further data to the disk, or partition at least, in question.

hmm, well for my instance windows installed on that partiition.... however, thats all that was copied on it and its the first time its been reformatted. would this be considered as over-ride?

ok... so i have a possible solution to get my data back, however i dont know what to do about my network adapter issue. Reading forum post leads me to believe a BIOS flash will fix the problem however, should i retrieve my lost data first before I flash my BIOS? any thoughts on how to fix my Nvidia Network Adapter?