And so it begins again, this time with Intel's new Core2Duo

Ok well i was looking around and i found this info. Two separate tests one with the Intel Core 2 Extreme X6800 and the other with the AMD Athlon 64 FX-57. Look at the 7900GTX in this case on the pics and you decide if the CPU makes a difference at higher resolutions.

This one was taken from http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2833&p=7

Fear at 1600x1200 with C2D extreme x6800

1302.jpg

This is FEAR with the same settings and same resolution but with the FX-57

this one was taken from http://www.guru3d.com/article/Videocards/326/18/

fx-5.jpg

i'm not jumping to any conclusion but cleary that there shows its not much a difference either just want to help.

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ocdb screen is here, need to get 05 and 06 done.

A word of warning, don't use Cat 6.9beta if you're gunning for high scores, it's gives a low score at the clock speed I recon. I'm gonna try with 6.5's at the same clocks. The ocdb entry will contain scores from 6.9 beta, I'll run 6.5 and post the results here.

ocdbentry2001iy4.th.jpg

edit: . scrap that screenshot, I just realised I changed my time during the early hours (bios had lost the time this morning and I used XP to reset it whilst it was running), so in reality when I scroll down in Orthos it shows 5 minutes short.. lol...

discrepjx7.th.jpg

I'll leave it running tonight, hopefully it'll be ok this time..

I'll run the whole shebag tonight again with Cat 6.5's,

ps: your ocdb entry you are working on is only 50Mhz faster than mine...it gives me lots of confidence if I can get within 50Mhz of you without having to be walked through it step-by-step (handheld) by Rgone or you or anyone.

HG are you on the 4:5 divider?

After that cock up above, I installed cat 6.8, upped the fsb to 386 bios (just 1 over before, cpu-z shows 387). I'm mulling over a few tricks, to get to around 389..

work in progress...

45xr1.th.jpg

Ps. drop me a pm of your contact details (if you wish to that is), we can keep in touch long term that way....

I only have a couple more days left with this board, so I dunno how much higher I can go in that time (it's geting tricky at this point and requires a lot of cmos resets), after that I have an Abit AWD9 MAX to review and an Asus P5WDG2 (my own) to preview.

One last thing I may do in a couple of weeks time is bench this board on phase with the same setup and see where the fsb limit of this board really lies, just in case other variables exist..

Keep up the good work guys. I wanna see some OCDB entries and input from Raju, HG and RG when I get back from vacation so I can feel all warm and fuzzy when I hit the order button...

Off to Tahoe for a week of gambling, big trees, blue water and sunshine (I hope). I'm out of here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! woo hoooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

See ya guys ;)

raju: my email is in my sig

I let it go overnight @ 390x9 on the 533 divider, but woke up this morning to a locked up rig, so I just bumped up the cpu voltage a little more to see if that helps.

honestly at 3.2Ghz I'm satisfied but right now I'm just trying to push it as hard as I can to see what it will do ;)

I'm gonna tell ya all honestly...by the time the Lanparty boards show up for the Conroe...you guys will have already scratched off about half of your skin waiting in anticipation because you just have to have one.

It's that serious.

Even at 2.4Ghz, the Conroe is more cpu than any but the top 3% overclocked dual-core AMD64's.

at 3Ghz, the Conroe has no competition except faster Conroes.

it's pretty much that simple.

or is it?

more testing must be done!

Very Good Summation! ;)

raju: my email is in my sig

I let it go overnight @ 390x9 on the 533 divider, but woke up this morning to a locked up rig, so I just bumped up the cpu voltage a little more to see if that helps.

honestly at 3.2Ghz I'm satisfied but right now I'm just trying to push it as hard as I can to see what it will do ;)

Glad your satisfied, curious to see what the Infinity and your particular C2D tops out at.

i have a feeling the Infinity will top out before the E6600 will

hard to say since this is my first ever C2D cpu, but I'd wager that the board will give out before the chip will

not saying the Infinity is a bad board at all...just saying first-gen chipset, it's gonna be a little more limited than and newer generation chipsets

Guest phoenixdancer

if your board would reach higher fsb then your C2D will reach higher speed's, as i have said b4 i was guna go with the dfi board due to only trusting them with Amd and stuff but i webt with asus due to people telling me that they are ruleing the ocing at the moment.

A_G, whats the temps ur getting on Absolutly full load on watercooling?

i have a triple rad and a DD TDX and im getting 34C ide and 50C load in a 26C room..

now thats HOT deff on water cooling, but i do rkn my CPU ihs is caved so im guna lap that and see if it helps!

Also please do me a fav and run super pi 1M once and show me ur time as im getting 13.023s atm with 3.92Mhz (reaches 57C on WATER!)

this is not a rant about DFI conroe board im just saying... lol

Btw Rgone whats the max speed you have got stable yet?

Oh and what do i need for a OCDB entry? guna see if i can make one for 3.6 and 3.8 ghz.

thx

1. on a single rad with dual-120mm fans (push/pull) at about 85CFM each, it loads at about 55C @ 3Ghz, and up to 70C @ 3429Mhz.

I'll be moving it to my main rig (CM Stacker!) with a dual-rad and 4x120mm fans, and posting up results then again.

2. I might look for super pi but probably will forget and I won't worry about it. I'm just not interested in super pi because it doesn't say anything about anything "real-world". At least with synthetic 3dmark/Aquamark tests, it does correlate to real-world applications (they are game engines after all, just prestructured runs through a game engine).

I hate to be obtuse about it, but I guess I'm just more interested in how the performance will affect real things that I do with my machine, as well as kinda tired of seeing some people toss up a super-pi screen and wow everyone with the number when they've not shown anything but that and maybe a 3d bench and call it stable (i'm jaded...sue me lol).

not sure what Rgone's top max stable is, but right now mine is 3429Mhz and I've got the OC Database screens and everything done, just have to write it up (it's Sunday, spending time with momma instead of working...or at least trying to).

Working on 3518Mhz right now, doing about 75C peak loads ;)

OCDB = go look in that section. Always read all of the stickies to get instructions and to know the rules. We are very strict about requirements for both the tests as well as the form when putting something into either the OCDB or SSDB (Stock Speed Database)

OCDB = go look in that section. Always read all of the stickies to get instructions and to know the rules. We are very strict about requirements for both the tests as well as the form when putting something into either the OCDB or SSDB (Stock Speed Database)

crackup.gif