Windows Professional vs Windows Home

Yukon Trooper

Does Professional have any gains over Home performance wise? I'll be gaming in general.. I know Professional has some extra security features and what not but any performance gains? I'll be running RAID 0 but I am pretty sure Home can handle it... BTW this is such a stupid isn't it? I just cant seem to find anything Googling. :confused: I've seen the comparison chart at Microsoft but there doesn't seem to be anything that would involve gaming performance.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

win xp pro is a more advanced version of win xp compaired to home.

hence there are more procceses in the background, logic tells me if you dont need it, wich you prob. dont, its an extra demand on your system for nothing, so i would say nope, not worth it.

just my two cents

the only difference between Pro and Home is the advanced administrator options, as well as some networking options (ie setting up webserver *IIS* or FTP etc).

Home is always the best (and cheapest) choice for everyday normal users like you and me.

Home WILL function as a file server or game server or such without any issues, but it is lacking the deep administrative controls that Pro offers (but there's not a home network on the planet that needs that kind of administrative restrictions/functions)

the only difference between Pro and Home is the advanced administrator options, as well as some networking options (ie setting up webserver *IIS* or FTP etc).

Home is always the best (and cheapest) choice for everyday normal users like you and me.

Home WILL function as a file server or game server or such without any issues, but it is lacking the deep administrative controls that Pro offers (but there's not a home network on the planet that needs that kind of administrative restrictions/functions)

Not about RAID, but ...

I guess I was wrong (yet again?) - I thought only Pro supported (as in actually used) SMP (dual CPUs or Dual Core CPUs).

I KNOW that WinMe will not do SMP.

Quick comparison right from Microsoft's site:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/ho.../choosing2.mspx

EDIT: Even more detailed comparison:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/eva...eaturecomp.mspx

RAID is supported under Home and Professional.

Home supports a single physical processor whereas Professional supports up to two physical processors.

Not about RAID, but ...

I guess I was wrong (yet again?) - I thought only Pro supported (as in actually used) SMP (dual CPUs or Dual Core CPUs).

I KNOW that WinMe will not do SMP.

because of dual-core and hyperthreaded processors, XP Home will support a Hyperthreaded Pentium4, or a standard dual-core Intel/AMD cpu.

MS would never allow some of their customers to not be able to use Home because of HT or dual-core cpu's.