Sign in to follow this  
Yukon Trooper

Windows Professional vs Windows Home

Not a hardcore O/S junky so:

Why do 90% of laptops come with Pro installed? I always assumed (yes, yes assuming is BAAD) that Pro offered advanced network options (as stated) but also protection or otherwise benefit where laptops would draw from the benefit.

Or is it a massive hype that has gotten out of control? LMAO

boo

there is absolutely no difference in basic function between Home and Pro. Only in it's advanced useage options are (as per the links Ace threw up)

I agree!!

I have both and am now using Pro, but don't see any difference in anything; both work fine.

With great respect, I ask your interpretation of this portion of the compairson at Microsoft's site: LINK

(My appologies for this lousy attempt to reproduce a portion of the web page)

While Home will RUN on dual core CPU and true SMP computers, it does not MAKE USE of the extra CPU or core.

I'd just hate to see someone get a brand new X2 or Opty, then not be able to get full benifit form it.

Again if I am wrong, I appologize and will correct my posts.

If you think that XP Home doesn't support a dual-core processor you're misstaken. Here is link to information given by AMD: http://www.amd.com/us-en/Weblets/0,,7832_8...5~95364,00.html

Not a hardcore O/S junky so:

Why do 90% of laptops come with Pro installed? I always assumed (yes, yes assuming is BAAD) that Pro offered advanced network options (as stated) but also protection or otherwise benefit where laptops would draw from the benefit.

Or is it a massive hype that has gotten out of control? LMAO

boo

here in Canada 50% at least (if not 70%) laptops come with Home... not Pro...

or

u ment to say 90% come wit Pro?(judging from the following sentence...??)

With great respect, I ask your interpretation of this portion of the compairson at Microsoft's site: LINK

(My appologies for this lousy attempt to reproduce a portion of the web page)

While Home will RUN on dual core CPU and true SMP computers, it does not MAKE USE of the extra CPU or core.

And, yes, Microsoft certainly will force users to buy a more expensive version of it's operating system.

They feel that if you want or need workstation proformance and are willing to pay the higher price for the hardware, you can certainly pay more for the software required to make it run.

Nothing personal, just business.

I believe (although not certain) that Windows Vista Home Basic will continue this policy.

I appologize if I am mistaken.

EDIT: If cost is a problem, XP MCE is actually XP Pro with some extra TV stuff thrown in - and that portion can be turned off leaving just XP Pro.

Cost of XP Home $88 LINK

Cost of MCE $110 LINK

I'd just hate to see someone get a brand new X2 or Opty, then not be able to get full benifit form it.

Again if I am wrong, I appologize and will correct my posts.

This is wrong. XP Home will utilize a dual core CPU the same way XP Pro will. XP Pro adds support for multiple (physical) CPUs.

Also, I haven't seen it mentioned above... but XP Home cannot join a Domain, whereas XP Pro can.

This is wrong. XP Home will utilize a dual core CPU the same way XP Pro will. XP Pro adds support for multiple (physical) CPUs.

Also, I haven't seen it mentioned above... but XP Home cannot join a Domain, whereas XP Pro can.

Thank You, AthlonAlien.

I stand corrected.

My personal experience WAS with a true dual processor set-up, a dual Athlon MP's to be exact, and on that Home did NOT work on both CPUs.

I assumed that dual cores would be treated the same, and in any case have never again messed with the cheap version.

I was concerned less someone with a bright shiney new dual-core setup think the motherboard was at fault.

Thanks again to all for correcting me.