Is it Just BF2 being BF2?

watsonte

My problem is BF2 seems to crash everytime I try to get into a game or it will crash after about 1hr worth of game play, or disconnect, or lock up, or do whatever it wants beside actually letting me play.

Whats odd about the crashing is it shuts down my computer, no BSOD, nothing, just..

Click....Click...Boom, Powered off, Hard drives are moving, Boom Rebooting....Into windows again...

Okay I have done everything I could possibly come up with, with the exception of RMAing parts...

I have,

- Run Dual Prime95 (825mb set for memory used) for 24 hours = STABLE

- MemTest Routine tests 8 / 5, and 24 hours = STABLE ZERO ERRORS

- Tested the Hard drives

- Tested the Rails on my PSU, all fine...

- Ran 3dMarks 01-06 Flawlessly...check out my OCBD entry...it works...

- Lowered all of my overclocks

- 2 Fresh installs of windows and attempts at using 84.21, 91.31, and 91.33 Drivers

- Temps are fine, Im watercooled...

- And I have not a clue as to whats going on

EDIT: Thanks for the move wasnt sure where to put it...

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It sounds like memory issues to me... or power.... that's all I can think of. It is completely possible that BF2 is more sensitive to your mem than dual prime. Basically, I'm saying that you should prove that it's not the overclock by setting at stock.

Basically, I'm saying that you should prove that it's not the overclock by setting at stock.

I have done that...and sadly it still continues to happen....

I really don know if its power...or how I could verify that other than begining the never ending RMA cycle...and the worst part is this is my only PC, so I cant have it without a PSU...and my spares wont power up the system...The Powerstream 520 I have wont ever play nice with my Expert board so I am SOL in that respect

Also during prime I use about 95% or my memory...I know BF2 doesnt use over 85%....

Personally thats why I dont play Battlefield 2 its to damn buggy as a matter of fact the only game of theirs that I truly enjoy without the problems related to EA Games is Lord of the Rings return of the King. And I have owned Battlefield 2 since it was first available, and I never play it ever.... even been half tempted to give it away!

Well, if you think about it. All stability testing programs all have their tolerances for hardware stability, albeit small.

Say memtest has a 95% tolerance for your mem.(I say 95% because it means squat... memtest stable sometimes can't even superpi.) Lets say that dual prime has a CPU tolerance of 99% and 97% on memory. Lets say that super pi has a 98% on cpu. And lets say that 3dmark03 has a 98% tolerance on your GPU. So taking the strictest tolerance for each component, we get a 99% tolerance for CPU 97% on RAM and 97% on GPU.

Now lets say that BF has a tolerance for 95% for the system.

So you have to multiply all of your tolerances together to get your total system tolerance to still pass those tests .99*.97*.97=.9314.

Granted I'm pulling these numbers out my butt but on the whole it justifies my argument that you can pass every stability test in the world and still be unstable enough to fail at real world apps.

By your second post I know that this is irrelevant but I felt like telling everyone anyhow.

I don't think it's a power issue.... that same things happen to any of my systems that are overclocked (aka all of them)

Even if their verified to be "stable" Battlefield 2 will find a way to make my PCs crash.

A lot of people thinks it's bad programming...

See thats why I hate this whole thing...

I can play anything and everything under the sun...BUT BF2....and I have such a big craving to play the damn game..I cant stop trying...

But then I fear damage to my other components, the whole Click Click Boom cannot be good for the system....

@Thraxz I get what you were saying and you are right, and I do understand that BF2 will act differently than other apps or games or tests...and also the numbers bit certainly makes your argument more believable...

since the 1.3 patch, this happens to me too, before this patch i never had a problem i think its jjust the buggyness of BF2 and im just putting up with it

Yeah I never had these issues prior to 1.3....then again I had a totally different computer at the time...

Thats why I have been attempting to resolve this issue for so long...

Perhaps it's the patch itself that is buggy. Anyway to reinstall the game and not download/install the 1.3 Patch (Sorry I don't play or own BF2 so I'm not sure how that game works for updates and such).

It sounds like just a buggy program to me if every other program and or stress test you throw at your rig doesn't make it budge.

My game doesn't crash, per se, but it gives me a connection error every forty-five minutes or so. It's really annoying. (I know it's just a problem with BF2. I've had my proc maxed for four days straight with a constant temp of 27C, and my X1900 is at 50C load.)

I wouldn't sweat it, it's just a problem with the 1.3 patch. Wait until 1.4, hopefully that will iron out some issues.