Is it Just BF2 being BF2?

watsonte

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@ watsonte:

if you're hearing a click and then shutdown- that's an issue, probably with heat. sounds like a thermal shutdown switch to me. make sure fan is running and not obstructed. you may end up replacing that unit if the temp switch is fubar'ed.

off topic: (kinda)

Your issues have nothing to do with your hardware, plain and simple its the current patch (1.3) I get CTD' all the time as does everyon else, as well as game locks and everything else you can think of.

-yonton228/timmy

there's serious issues with the 1.3 patch. i believe it's a server side issue- hence the ctd's, and connectivity issues. i usually get a connection error message, then a ctd. or it'll just plain ctd. it seems very random.

these are all issues being addressed by the 1.4 patch. these issues and more. bad part is this- they'll just get it figured out, then 2142 will hit the shelves- and we get to start all over again................. lol!

@Yukon, If its a thermal issue the its the PSU thats getting to ho, as I am watercooled, and I have the Evercool on my NB, and my load temps are 42C (CPU), 44C (GPUs), and 48C (NB)....

My temps are fine, unless some how the PSU is overheating?

Either way....

I havent bothered with reinstalling the game again, as I have done two fresh installs of the game along with two fresh installs of just the 1.3 patch, I will continue to try and figure something out but at this point Im not sure whats causing the full shutdown, as those are not normal BF2 issues, atleast I do not know them to be normal...

I havent bothered with reinstalling the game again, as I have done two fresh installs of the game along with two fresh installs of just the 1.3 patch, I will continue to try and figure something out but at this point Im not sure whats causing the full shutdown, as those are not normal BF2 issues, atleast I do not know them to be normal...

Not to seem like a prick, but I know of many people that deal with these same problems, along with the CTD's, game locking up with the same audio clip looping etc etc. The only suggestion that I have left would be to install the game and just play the mods that are out there for it. Almost all of them are WAY more stable. Also, its funny that you live in Ohio, the server that I play on has a lot of regulars from Ohio.

You wish, I am Beta Testing phase 2 of 2142 and the 'Connection to Server has been Lost' issue is even worse that 'nilla BF2.

Seems they have just transfered all the existing problems across to carry on 'working' on them

I wouldnt belive anything EA says, all 2142 is just BF2 with lasers and tanks with legs.

-yonton228/timmy

i buy the retail version of BF2, install it. reset my pc/do everything it asks. Game doesn't work, doesn't boot, doesn't do anything. Only way it worked was after i formated my pc. BF2 has to be the worst game i tried to play. Like i updated my virus programs and i couldn't go back on BF2. I removed all my virus programs too but no, it didn't work.

Maybe somethign was fishy with my system, but damn updating virus programs like avg doesnt mena it will kill BF2...:mad:

Not to seem like a prick, but I know of many people that deal with these same problems, along with the CTD's, game locking up with the same audio clip looping etc etc. The only suggestion that I have left would be to install the game and just play the mods that are out there for it. Almost all of them are WAY more stable. Also, its funny that you live in Ohio, the server that I play on has a lot of regulars from Ohio.

I wouldnt belive anything EA says, all 2142 is just BF2 with lasers and tanks with legs.

-yonton228/timmy

Im not sure why you call yourself a prick, however, I am not dealing with a crash to desk top issue here, I am very familiar with the issues you seem to believe are all the same and completely related to the software, I am trying to determine if the issue could be hardware related. At this point as I have said time and time again, because I can play all other games on or off line I am going to assume its BF2.......

The only thing hardware related that I could think of would be the X-fi. I will do some digging around and find some threads on some BF2 forums about it (there have been known issues with the X-fi and BF2.)

-yonton228/timmy

IMO all points to the conclusion that it is BF2 itself the one to blame, and not your system.

Other games work perfectly, Prime95 and Memtest86 as well... the evidence doesn't favor BF2 one bit.

Did you tried uninstalling the whole thing and reinstalling it with the latest full patch?

I have never had a PC shutdown with BF2, Crashing back to desktop and loosing connection yes and the connection being lost is 9 times out of 10 due to a crash of the server were everyone gets kicked. If I overclock the heck out of my G/card and it cant handle it my PC will power off.

@Yukon, If its a thermal issue the its the PSU thats getting to ho, as I am watercooled, and I have the Evercool on my NB, and my load temps are 42C (CPU), 44C (GPUs), and 48C (NB)....

My temps are fine, unless some how the PSU is overheating?

Either way....

yes- i was thinking the psu is overheating(or thinks it is) and not the rest of your rig. i'm sure your watercooling is more than sufficient! but a psu- with thermal protection- they do make a rather loud snapping sound when the thermal switch cuts power. from what you described- that sounds about right. it can mean 2 things- either that switch is on the fritz- or your psu is getting hot enough to trip it. just worth investigating. the only other possibility i can think of to cause immediate shutdown would be a direct short. maybe doublecheck all your wires for contact to ground.

just guessing at your problem- but maybe you'll find the problem with these suggestions. i'd have battlefield running with my head inside the case if it were me- to see/hear the noise exactly when it happens.

good luck and i hope you find it!

yes- i was thinking the psu is overheating(or thinks it is) and not the rest of your rig. i'm sure your watercooling is more than sufficient! but a psu- with thermal protection- they do make a rather loud snapping sound when the thermal switch cuts power. from what you described- that sounds about right. it can mean 2 things- either that switch is on the fritz- or your psu is getting hot enough to trip it. just worth investigating. the only other possibility i can think of to cause immediate shutdown would be a direct short. maybe doublecheck all your wires for contact to ground.

just guessing at your problem- but maybe you'll find the problem with these suggestions. i'd have battlefield running with my head inside the case if it were me- to see/hear the noise exactly when it happens.

good luck and i hope you find it!

I am going to continue to try various things as far as hardware, with or without the sound card, and I think your could be right about the overheating PSU, I am looking into ways to measure the temps for my PSU....

The reason I feel that it could be the PSU over heating is the fact that about 1/4 of the fan is covered by a piece or metal.... I dont know if having the fan partially covered would cause it to over heat...so I am going to try running things with the PSU outside of the case and see how that goes...

Also I am going to try another fresh install of the game and see what happens....

EDIT: Sadly I may have found my culprit......I dont know for certain as this is the first time I have seen them with my new cards, but it appeares that my gun in BF2 is about a mile long and seems to be connected to the ground (i.e Artifacts and so on)....

I just wonder why it does this is BF2, and not in Call of Duty 2, or FEAR, or anything else for that matter?...I might be RMAing yet again another 7900GT...the question is now which one?...and I dont know what I am going to do to figure that out with both video cards in?...Hmmm

EDIT (AGAIN): I decided to close out and reload the game, settings unchanged, same server and well it seems as though no issues...I am so confused now....