Thermalright HR-05 SLI review

it should work on the Infinity SLI series on 7900GT cards... not that ive tried it, but my mb has the chipset a little lower than the lower slot... sooo if u orient the heatsink towards the bottom of the case, it will be lower than any heatsink on the lower slot (and the upper slot being no problem at all of course)

im not picking one since i got the JingTing installed in mine... shaved off about 10-15C from the mickeymouse fan........ :)

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

** Critical Update **

I just wanted to let everyone know I tried this out - and rest assured, it DOES fit the MSI K8N NEO2 Platinum board. :D

So you can all sleep safely tonight, LOL

Seriously, it's a phenominal little cooler on my SLI-DR eX.

Thanks Happy for doing the required R&D.

I emailed Thermalright to see if it would fit my board, and they said since the retaining pins are diagonal, it would fit.

Well, it fits but it blocks one PCI-X slot. :mad:

If you swing it to the CPU side, it blocks the other PCI-X slot.

If you swing it to the rear, it blocks both slots (for long cards anyway, maybe a shorter card would work.)

While I'm just using one card, it's a lot quieter and cooler than before, but I'll have to figure something out before adding a second card. I guess that's why they don't call it a HR-05-CrossFire!

Temps CPU / PWMIC / Chipset / Video

Idle 29 / 35/ 41 / 45

After running Prime95 12+ hrs 38 / 39 / 42 / 46

After Running 3D Mark-06 35 / 39 / 43 / 78

Just fyi guys i've just installed the HR-05-SLI into my system with a 7900GTX and i've put an 80 fan on it too, its quite literally blown me away its taken around 15 degrees off my chipset and around 10 off my PWMIC (i'm guessing due to the fan)

I thought i'd post this information in case anyone else had any doubts about it fitting with this particular card, just trying to be helpful =]

I wonder if the non-SLI version might be better for the Expert boards, and go in between the cards.

Yes, it is better. Only thing is it will slightly interfere with SATA3 port. That's why you see me using a blue SATA cable, which is shorter in height, for that port.

tr003uz1.jpg

tr005mt2.jpg

Yes, it is better. Only thing is it will slightly interfere with SATA3 port. That's why you see me using a blue SATA cable, which is shorter in height, for that port.

tr003uz1.jpg

tr005mt2.jpg

Excellent, and it appears you can fit another card in the second slot. Can you confirm this?

Looks like the only problem would be if you had a big cooler on the card or something.