Freeze after cold boot

Hi. Had the cold boot freeze problem since installing raid on the ULI chip a couple of months back. Had to double boot from cold every time until 3 days ago.

I was sitting at 238 x 12 @ 1.427v - passed 12 hours dual SP2004 but can never get SuperPi 32M stable on core 0 (core 1 is superpi 32M stable).

Got a new PSU just under a week ago, upgrading from a badly chosen TT Purepower 680w (2x 12v 15A & 1x 12v 8A). Decided to see if a new PSU (1x 12v 40A) and more fiddling could get Pi stable on core 0.

At this early stage I still cant get Pi stable on core 0 :/ but have'nt had any more cold boot freezes for the last 3 days :)

Only thing that is different is the PSU, increased CPU voltage and slightly lower clocks (had it up to 1.488v at one stage). Left settings at 236 x 12 @ 1.476v for the moment (12hr dual SP2004 stable). Memory is running 1:1, 2.81v No cold boot issue since.

Anyways, not sure if this is gonna help but just thought i'd put in my 2c since these forums have been so helpful and informative.

Er... I had a sig that worked in my first post but sig seems to have vanished?! :/

Ah. found the "show your sig button".

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been having this issue as well, or at least i think it is the same thing (http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59550). I have not updated to the beta since I'm not using the ULI (until its confirmed as fixed). My system will always crash/freeze after a cold boot, after it has cooled down. I tend to force the crash and then restart and it runs for days, weeks even with no problem. I have resorted to leaving it on after the inital crash/restart.

But now it seems to shutdown overnight sometimes, then again it could be my UPS, which I think is very buggy. I'll probably try this in a regular plug for a week or so and see how long it runs. Might be two unrelated issues I'm mixing together.

Thought I would like to add for those not interested in reading my old post that I have tried virtually everything, replaced a number of items and changed setups, yet the problem still occurs. The only constant in ALL my setups is the Motherboard, CPU and memory, the last two of which have been strictly tested.

EDIT: and it would figure that RIGHT after I post this, while im trying to force a crash...the thing will not crash *sigh*

how many of you guys have got prefetch set to 16X16 in bios, default is 4X16.... Try 16X16 if not..

i dont even know what that setting does but i could guess that it is related to the band width between south and north bridges, i wish dfi could explain these settings in the bios.

i dont even know what that setting does but i could guess that it is related to the band width between south and north bridges, i wish dfi could explain these settings in the bios.

Me too. I usually solve all of my issues by learning all that I can about the board. But in this case its kind of strange that I can't find any definitions/explanations of the Bios settings.

I knew I'd cured the cold boot issue when I had the board, I just could not quite work out how.. I hope this was it.

In any case you should have prefetch set to 16X16 when overclocked as it provides stability to the system. Unfortunatley no-one seems to really know what it does, but whatever it is, it does 'work'..

Ok well im trying 16x16 but i have a strange problem now since i booted with that my x1900xtx keeps jumping fan speeds for no reason. its at 41c and its whining between 50% speed and 100% very quickly. :confused: