Freeze after cold boot

I know someone who is doing a modded version of the P5WDG2 PRO if you need it, other than that he can get it for $325 shipped to the USA. Mods are done at cost, about $6 on top....

Or you could hold on for either the DFI RD600, which Oskar has confirmed is coming (Late October) or the AWD9 MAX...

regards

Raja

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

only when the bios is prgrammed to allow it. The Asus P5b has a new bios that lets you change the multiplier downwards. Other boards are still awaiting full support of this feature.

You can use CrystalCpuid though..

Bear in mind that on the good overclocking boards (the Asus boards), the nb chipset strap is manipulated according to the default cpu multiplier and apllied fsb, so moving the mutiplier down does not always bear good overclocks or higher fsb's. The Infifnity is setup to run real tight and is locked to the 1066 strap regardless

For more reading check Tony's post on this issue at Bleedingedge forums..

regards

Raja

I know someone who is doing a modded version of the P5WDG2 PRO if you need it, other than that he can get it for $325 shipped to the USA. Mods are done at cost, about $6 on top....

Or you could hold on for either the DFI RD600, which Oskar has confirmed is coming (Late October) or the AWD9 MAX...

regards

Raja

Can you PM me the details?

take the ram out of dual channel mode and make it a single channel using slots 1 and 2. Appears to be a memory or bus issue. Hope this helps.

Mule

Are you talking about the freeze issue ? this thread seems to be getting offtopic I can't tell.

yes I,ve been monitoring this this thread about the system freezing up after a cold boot .

I was having the same problem also. I had hoped you guys would find a simple solution by changing a bios setting. I have tried all the setting that this thread had mentioned and none of them fixed the problem, so I started looking on my own. What did fix the problem was taking the ram out of dual channel mode and setting it up as single channel, using the 1 and 2 memory slots on the board. Once I did that I rebooted the system and noticed in the post that it was still showing 128 bit, so I reset the motherboard cmos by moving the jumper for it. Since that time now it has been 5 days and not a single cold boot freeze. I had also before that I was getting a strange artifacting in some games before I did this, but now the artifacting problem is gone also. I know alot of you guys are not going to like doing this due to the performance loss of memory bandwidth. But it seems like its the only solution I was able to find. So it appears to me that DFI motherboard has some sort of a memory issue yet. This board that I have was configured originally with the recommended kingston 1gb modules also, also tried crucial ram, and currently using patriot ram. All ram modules suffered the same problem. Configure it to single channel mode and problem is gone. Hope this helps.

Mule

I hope that the DFI technical support reads this thread or happy games can relay this information to there support if they haven't already figured this out. Maybe get this issue fixed in another bios update.

Mule

I got my issue resolved by taking raju's advice. However. Very disappointed in DFI's lack of support forthe board overall. I did an RMA and the new board had the same issues until I followed Raju's advice and tinkered deeper into it. But it started happening again after all the tweaks, memory swaps, CMOS resets, etc.

This is the first problem I ever ahd with a DFI board that I can't find proper Bios information for...so I'm going Conroe 6800..-Asus P5wdg2 ws pro, TEAM 2 Gb Kit DDR2 (2x 1Gb) 5-5-5-15 1000Mhz...

So my rig is headed over to the sale area...

Love the N4 board though!!!

I can't even get my board to boot in single channel with 2 sticks of kingston pc3200. So i can't confirm any results yet.

Trisk you might have to manually set some of the timing on your memory to get it boot up properly, the board is probably changing some of the timing of the ram. That maybe the issue there. Because on my system it turned the bus speed down, and also reduced the ram timing also. Possible your ram won't boot like that.

Mule