using "dangerous" PSU

godlyatheist

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm reconsidering my PSu choice after consulting my bank account, will let you know. BTW, how do I add an avatar?? Plz don't tell me I need 100 posts like THG does.
I wish it was by you getting a DFI Recommended Power Supply but it’s not. The powers to be with avatars are much greater than I.

You could read the rules to find out.

Did you use "Save For Web"? It's usually pretty accurate.

No, I didn't use save for web. I save it on the harddrive then uploaded it to Photobucket.

A question for PSu. Are dual 80mm fan quieter than single 120-140mm fan? Cause the aspire with dual 80 is pretty quite and reviews on newegg complain a single fan gets loud. If that is true, I'll consider the fortron for $20 more.

Also, do fan grills cause less noise than mesh? I was thinking about cutting out mesh and putting in grill for the exhaust fan.

A real estate agent once told me, "Never own the biggest house or the smallest house on the street."

You can use that same logic with computer parts. Buying the most expensive may get you a really good product but the price to performance ratio is pretty lousy. Buying the least expensive may get you in the game but you don't really gain much if anything - you might as well just not entered and picked a different hobby.

Why buy the lowest recommended psu today when it won't take long to be removed from the Recommended list? Use that frugal habit on ramen/mac&cheese for food, used books, and not spending all your cash in the bar on friday night. I think you can give up 1 or 2 nights of drinking to get a decent PSU. :rolleyes: When you're working on your homework, last minute or not, I'm pretty sure the last thing you want is for your computer to crash. And thats exactly what it does ... I have a TT psu which is on the Avoid list and I have to admit... for a good reason. Which is why I recently purchased a new psu. Now I gotta find time in my already busy schedule to tear up my rig and install this new psu.

The psu is one of the few parts you can use across platforms - get a good one. Once you get into college you'll quickly find out that making a stupid purchase hurts. Save those moments for when you actually have the cashflow to offset that.