using "dangerous" PSU

godlyatheist

Okay, i have an ASPIRE 500 watter. It supports S939 X2 3800+, MSI K8N Neo4-F, 2x512mb ddr 400, 6800gs, 1x 80g HD, and 1x DVD-RW right now with no problem. Since it is rated as dangerous on the list, i wonder if i should use it... Newegg review has been quite good for the PSU. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16817148027

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even though the Newegg rating is good, it doesnt tell you that they (Aspire/Apevia) rate their PSUs at a lower temperature than others, and allow a 10% voltage regulation, whereas ATX specs only allow up to 5% regulation, meaning the 12v line can dip to as low as 10.5v which = dangerous.

My suggestion is No. If you have the money pick up a PSU from the Recommended list. In your case, I would recommend either the OCZ GameXstream 600W, or the Fortron Epsilon 600W.

Since it is rated as dangerous on the list, i wonder if i should use it...

Think about that statement... :P

allow a 10% voltage regulation, whereas ATX specs only allow up to 5% regulation, meaning the 12v line can dip to as low as 10.5v which = dangerous.

that part is true, mine has a 6.5 % variance. The recommended PSu's are too expensive. how's ANtec truepower?

that part is true, mine has a 6.5 % variance. The recommended PSu's are too expensive. how's ANtec truepower?

You have to understand that if your going to dish out the cash for a quality motherboard you have to provide it with a quality power source...around here its just accepted that when dealing with a motherboard that is of a higher quality your going to end up spending more...

In regards to Antec PSUs, they are still trying to get on the recommended list...

And Enermax 535W PSU is around $90, I think thats a fair price...If you go through the list carefully you will find a PSU that fits your needs in relationship to the overall cost of the unit...

Okay so let me get this straight?

Motherboard=$145

Processor=$155

Ram=$100

Videocard=$150

PSU=$39.95=trouble....:confused:

I got my Enermax 535 new for $50, Man shop around David has given us plenty of realistic options in the PSU Guide

well, it's more like this.... the original build only cost me $700. I'm upgradig now and has spent:

$130 X2 3800

$94 DFi LP ut sli-dr

~$170 for 2gb g skill or ocz or patriot ddr500 2g (still bidding on ebay)

I'll look into the PSu issue, maybe i'll spend $100 max.:eek:

well, it's more like this.... the original build only cost me $700. I'm upgradig now and has spent:

$130 X2 3800

$94 DFi LP ut sli-dr

~$170 for 2gb g skill or ocz or patriot ddr500 2g (still bidding on ebay)

I'll look into the PSu issue, maybe i'll spend $100 max.:eek:

$100 will get you an OCZ PowerStream 520W! :)

yes that would get me the powerstream 520W or for $10 more i can get the 700W GamerXstream with free shipping. However, I cannot have any LED going on since im taking my rig to college dorm. (maybe shouldn't bought a side-window case......) I think i'll get the enermax for $75.