using "dangerous" PSU

godlyatheist

thank you reelfiles for spending so much time on my post. I meant that i can't have LED flashing in the dorm at 2 in the morning when everyone is asleep. So if i had bought a regular steel box i could use the OCZ PSU without annoying everyone.

No problem, the strict dorm rules was my wife's theory, but I blew her off, saying; "No, way colleges can't ban LEDs, half of a college students belongings have LEDs in them". LOL, I guess I should have listened to her. Those LEDs aren't that bright, I doubt anyone would have a problem with them.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The strict dorm rules was my wife's theory, but I blew her off, saying; "No, way colleges won't ban LEDs, half of a college students belongings have LEDs in them". LOL, I guess I should have listened to her. Those LEDs aren't that bright, I doubt anyone would have a problem with them.

You guys are trying to get me to spend more money........my total for upgrade is at $270 right now and i really don't want to go over $300(Conroe checkpoint). The other reason i don't want the OCZ is because my rig is pitch black on the outside so any LED only ruins the look. Besides, the PSU will be the only LED in the case and it would look lame.

My theory of computer building: no more than $50 on the PSU.

You guys are trying to get me to spend more money........my total for upgrade is at $270 right now and i really don't want to go over $300(Conroe checkpoint)

no, they're trying to not have you by crap

they're trying to prevent you from having to upgrade PSU's on your next build

they're trying to look out for the safety & performance of your installed components

if you think we're just trying to get you to spend money, then go and buy a $30 500W PSU & see how your rig performs (or if it even boots) and when you do, don't come back here and say "my crap DFI mobo won't work" instead i expect you to say "I cheaped out and put a suzuki engine in my ferrari" because thats basically what you're doing

/rant

You can always replace the fan in the power supply, if you know what you're doing. I replaced the second LED fan on my PSU with a black 80mm. Warning: Voiding warranty, I am sure.

I bought my PSU for $30 + shipping and it provides fairly stable power (+/- .1). I haven't seen Logisys on the approved or disapproved list. It is not native 24 pin though, so I am planning on getting a GameXStream early next year ('specially since I want to do Crossfire).

Guest Halvis
You guys are trying to get me to spend more money........

My theory of computer building: no more than $50 on the PSU.

No, we are trying to keep you from spending MORE money in the long run. Just remember, theory is theory. The Recommended LIST of psu's are NOT theory. They are KNOWN to work with DFI mobos, many just DO NOT. Its as simple as that, really. When I built the comp in my sig, I wasnt planning on OCing much, or BIG powerhungry graphics cards... I bought the FSP Blue Storm psu and it has worked fine with no problems. It was STILL twice your $50 threshold on sale, back then.

If you REALLY just want to spend as little money as possible on a psu, (I REALLY don't understand why so many do, its the BACKBONE that your entire system is built upon) find the cheapest psu in the RECOMMENDED PSU thread that meets your cpu, OCing & graphics level, and BUY it.

I am ordering the Xclio 500W since I will never go SLi in the next four years. I really didn't wanna get an OCZ 'cause it's an overkill(although it's not bad to overkill on pSU since they degrade...). Should that Xclio break, I'll just buy another one and still spend less than the OCZ.